Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk isn't lying, but no way he's telling the whole truth there either. And for good reason.

Both the specs and price of the Long Range will be changed by the time it comes back for sale here. The price will meet the new $55k cutoff, and there will be something changed to reduce manufacturing cost to match.

Some existing Long Range order holders may be asked or even forced to take the new spec, depending on how soon the spec is finalized, how soon Tesla is ready to update the factory line, and whether they are willing to manufacture both specs together for a little while to clear out the backlog of old spec orders.

Maybe we'll see the new spec pop up in inventory before it's officially announced. Like the Austin-built Model Y SR AWD, and the LFP 2021 Model 3 SR+.

Perhaps I am living under a rock but I went to the Tesla.com order page and the Long Range AWD was greyed out, can’t order. No more 19” wheels, only 20”, range 315 miles vs. 358. Huh.
I could only order the Performance model.
What changed or did I do something wrong?

Perhaps I am living under a rock but I went to the Tesla.com order page and the Long Range AWD was greyed out, can’t order. No more 19” wheels, only 20”, range 315 miles vs. 358. Huh.
I could only order the Performance model.
What changed or did I do something wrong?
I was playing with the store earlier today to see the current price due to the new tax credit and it was done. It's now grayed out for me as well and says available 2023. Perhaps they are making some adjustments due to the new credit?

Tesla has stopped taking orders on the M3 LR for the rest of 2022. On the site and app you will see the ‘Available 2023’ language. Tesla announced earlier that this would be coming to some models. No official reason announced yet, though it may be due to the price impact of US rebates (they need to drop the price by $2K in the US), preserving battery capacity for MY, Cybertruck and Semi or due to uncertain inflationary pressures.
If you want new, your choices are standard or Performance. Or wait until 2023 to order.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Yup greyed out. They have done this in other markets for other cars. Deliveries were already pushing out to 2023. Maybe they will make some adjustment for the tax credit? Maybe they just stopped taking orders because of the long wait time? I have a M3 RWD order already in the queue. I wonder if I can edit it to a M3 LR? Update... the answer is no I can't. Greyed out for those with an existing order.

• Informative
Reactions: voxel and RoBoRaT
My hypothesis is that they are doing this to clear out the backlog and complete current M3LR orders before announcing a pricing change for 2023 that will meet the new tax credits. If they lowered the price now, everyone with current M3LR orders waiting to be filled would demand the lower price. So complete the orders first, so customer already has delivery of car and paid for it, and cant ask for the lower price. Not all businesses run like Costco . . .

Reactions: Ghosty and Big Earl
My hypothesis is that they are doing this to clear out the backlog and complete current M3LR orders before announcing a pricing change for 2023 that will meet the new tax credits. If they lowered the price now, everyone with current M3LR orders waiting to be filled would demand the lower price. So complete the orders first, so customer already has delivery of car and paid for it, and cant ask for the lower price. Not all businesses run like Costco . . .
Just speculation and hearsay. Sure there will be a lot of back and forth with the finer details as the days progress with the bill clarity.

Too much vagueness currently. Too bad the revised EV portion of the bill was not focused on increasing adoption for all buyers in the USA - regardless of where the EV comes from - as it sure could have been crafted that way.

Reactions: tm1v2
They are most likely updating the LR to a LR+ with slight price increase and de-featuring the current LR to meet the $55k price. Remember the $55k price must be total delivered price so the car actually needs to drop around $4k. I also suspect that since they have this plan they are not ordering parts past current order volume so they don’t have dead stock.

Reactions: Bob2C
Everyone is focused on the US tax credit and the potential of retooling a cheaper LR to qualify for the tax credit, but the real reason is probably much simpler. There's not enough NCA 2170 cell supply. Given the fierce competition for nickel in the near term, Tesla is preserving all of their nickel for the model Y (also very long waitlist right now). The model Y is ramping in Austin and already qualifies for the tax credit. Thus the collateral damage is the lowest margin NCA vehicle - the M3LR.

I had a thought this morning. There is nothing stopping Tesla from lowering the price of the LR and the P to a point lower than $55k and derating the power without any hardware changes. Then the owner can unlock more power for a fee after delivery... Just saying.
I'd say that you've made a good case for this approach. But, all US auto manufacturers are scouring the FIRA EV language before making production decisions.

Everyone is focused on the US tax credit and the potential of retooling a cheaper LR to qualify for the tax credit, but the real reason is probably much simpler. There's not enough NCA 2170 cell supply. Given the fierce competition for nickel in the near term, Tesla is preserving all of their nickel for the model Y (also very long waitlist right now). The model Y is ramping in Austin and already qualifies for the tax credit. Thus the collateral damage is the lowest margin NCA vehicle - the M3LR.
This crossed my mind too. Also very plausible.

Reactions: voxel
They are most likely updating the LR to a LR+ with slight price increase and de-featuring the current LR to meet the $55k price. Remember the $55k price must be total delivered price so the car actually needs to drop around $4k. I also suspect that since they have this plan they are not ordering parts past current order volume so they don’t have dead stock.

I suspect RWD LR will make it's return.

The AWD LR will be more expensive and above the tax bill price threshold which is fine for those above the income limits.

While 2170 production is cranking along at high rates.. 4680 is slow and you are probably right.... Austin is gobbling up the 2170 supply for the higher margin Y.