Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone following this that wants a LR. They are available now on Tesla.com via inventory cars, all have black interior at this time. There is a special agreement that you will take delivery in 2022. They are selling fast so I though I would post something here is anyone was not following the other threads.

Reactions: ord3r
Communism in schools? 15K for faulty software? 4680 cells can be scaled up? Twitter is a mess; who wants it? I'm waiting on the Ioniq 6. More features, cheaper, and SERVICE CENTERS
t's cheaper if you can find one and get it at MSRP. My experience has been I can do neither of those. Also, I am particular about the bottom line and the Ioniq 6 is not going to qualify for any Fed tax incentive. Maybe Hyundai will cut the price so it will be competitive but for the moment I can't see how I could justify the price difference that there might be.

I'd like to add something here about the tax credit. When I purchased 1 of my 4 previous Prius' years ago on the front page there was a column that REDUCED your adjusted gross income much like a 401K does. Now as I understand this law, and maybe someone can correct me, this $7500 reduces the tax you OWE if any. Although I THINK you can use the $7500 spread out over multiple years, so unless you have a income family, and you screwed up your W4 or didn't withhold enough how do you owe $7500? I was in that situation last year because I made a nice 6 figure salary, was collecting SocSec and had a pension from another job. MOST people I understand get refunds, so the $7500 ain't gonna do nothing for you. Anyhow I believe the Ioniq 6 Limited will be in the low $50000 with over 300 miles. Last I looked Tesla M3 LR was $57990.

I'd like to add something here about the tax credit. When I purchased 1 of my 4 previous Prius' years ago on the front page there was a column that REDUCED your adjusted gross income much like a 401K does. Now as I understand this law, and maybe someone can correct me, this $7500 reduces the tax you OWE if any. Although I THINK you can use the $7500 spread out over multiple years, so unless you have a income family, and you screwed up your W4 or didn't withhold enough how do you owe $7500? I was in that situation last year because I made a nice 6 figure salary, was collecting SocSec and had a pension from another job. MOST people I understand get refunds, so the $7500 ain't gonna do nothing for you. Anyhow I believe the Ioniq 6 Limited will be in the low $50000 with over 300 miles. Last I looked Tesla M3 LR was $57990.
I think you got the information on the tax credit completely wrong. It has nothing to do with how much you have to pay or will get refunded when you file.

Reactions: voxel
It has never been based on owing money in April. It is based on how much federal taxes you already paid (W2 employee) or how much you will pay (1099). Your actual federal liability for the year. That liabilty must be at least $7,500 to get all of it. If less, you forgo the difference. You can get a refund from overpaying federal taxes and also receive the full $7,500. So your refund could be $10k, for example. Or, if you do actually owe, then it will reduce that.

Reactions: voxel and MP3Mike
I can confirm that you can order new 2023 M3LR's from the existing inventory with pickup in Nov-Dec timeframe. I saw about 5 for my zip code and here is an example:

Screenshot 2022-10-10 094743.jpg

It has never been based on owing money in April. It is based on how much federal taxes you already paid (W2 employee) or how much you will pay (1099). Your actual federal liability for the year. That liabilty must be at least $7,500 to get all of it. If less, you forgo the difference. You can get a refund from overpaying federal taxes and also receive the full $7,500. So your refund could be $10k, for example. Or, if you do actually owe, then it will reduce that.
Thanks for clearing that up but I am now strictly on SS and pension. It would help me out when I do RMD from IRA which wont occur for another year inn my case

I think you got the information on the tax credit completely wrong. It has nothing to do with how much you have to pay or will get refunded when you file.

Understood but the cheapest M3 is the SRP which I have and I already lost about 16 miles of full battery (224 at 100%). Model 3 LR and up exceeds 55K and the ceiling for used is ridiculous (25K)

Understood but the cheapest M3 is the SRP which I have and I already lost about 16 miles of full battery (224 at 100%). Model 3 LR and up exceeds 55K and the ceiling for used is ridiculous (25K)
There is most likely going to be changes to Model 3 features and pricing to take into account the $55k limit starting in 2023. This is likely why you must take ownership of these "existing inventory" vehicles before the end of the year.

Thanks for clearing that up but I am now strictly on SS and pension. It would help me out when I do RMD from IRA which wont occur for another year inn my case
I am not sure of your tax bracket, but (taking into account any other credits you use which could reduce this one) as long as your Federal Income Total Tax for the year (1040, line 24) is $7,500 or more, you can get the full credit if you buy with cash or finance. If it is lower, you can still get the credit, just less. Yes, it can help with the taxes withheld/due for your RMD.

You can also lease the car and get the benefit immediately at the dealer, regardless of Total Tax. That's how it worked in the past.

There is most likely going to be changes to Model 3 features and pricing to take into account the $55k limit starting in 2023. This is likely why you must take ownership of these "existing inventory" vehicles before the end of the year.
Agreed. The MY23 Model 3 LR AWD sold in calendar year 2023 will probably start at $54,999 in order to qualify.

Not sure what else they will remove. Then again, my 2018 was like $48k haha.

Last edited:
The MY23 Model 3 LR AWD sold in calendar year 2023 will probably start at $54,999 in order to qualify.
I think the way the IRA is worded, it will be based on the MSRP for each individual car, options included. So that wouldn't really work, other than for base models/colors. But we really won't know anything until the guidance is released towards the end of the year.

I think the way the IRA is worded, it will be based on the MSRP for each individual car, options included. So that wouldn't really work, other than for base models/colors. But we really won't know anything until the guidance is released towards the end of the year.
That's not how it was in the past, and that would get really complicated. Want floor mats and locking lug nuts? Premium paint color? This car came from the factory with mud flaps installed. Oh, sorry you're now at $55,000+, and not eligible. It is typically determined by the Base MSRP of the line (pre destination and options, for SR, LR and Performance).

That depends on whether LR AWD buyers are buying it for the LR or the AWD. If they are buying it for the LR but do not care about the AWD, then an LR 2WD at lower cost may be attractive.
Look at the car market. Everyone wants AWD outside of sports cars (even they are AWD often). I have a Giulia, which comes in RWD, but I have AWD (Q4 system = 100% RWD until slip). It snows. AWD is the preferred drivetrain for premium sedans and SUVs.

That's not how it was in the past, and that would get really complicated.
How it was in the past? There was no price limit for this tax credit in the past. They already have a condition requiring a binding order contract for the rebate this year, so I expect additional documentation will be required to claim the rebate.

There is nothing complicated about submitting your MVPA with your claim.