Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR/P - 170 mile commute suitability

ryanbush

Oct 5, 2021
Fort Smith
I also live in Arkansas and have a 180 mile commute from the far south side of Fort Smith to Rogers a few times a week with my 2018 M3P, during the summer I charge to 90% and get home in the teens, in the winter I charge to 100% and get home in the low teens. When it's really cold or rainy I do slow down just a bit, but for the most part I run 80-85mph most of the time. I also have to go over the Boston mountains which really drives efficiency down a lot, with as flat as your drive is, you should have no problems.

I just received my 2021 but am still driving the 2018 until it sells, I really expect the larger battery and the heat pump in the 2021 to really help increases the efficiency of the car.

Let me know if you would be interested in chatting on the phone some time, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have..

ElectricIAC

Devil’s Advocate
Dec 31, 2019
DFW
I also live in Arkansas and have a 180 mile commute from the far south side of Fort Smith to Rogers a few times a week with my 2018 M3P, during the summer I charge to 90% and get home in the teens, in the winter I charge to 100% and get home in the low teens. When it's really cold or rainy I do slow down just a bit, but for the most part I run 80-85mph most of the time. I also have to go over the Boston mountains which really drives efficiency down a lot, with as flat as your drive is, you should have no problems.

I just received my 2021 but am still driving the 2018 until it sells, I really expect the larger battery and the heat pump in the 2021 to really help increases the efficiency of the car.

Let me know if you would be interested in chatting on the phone some time, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have..
That’s a pretty drive!

EVer

Aug 7, 2021
Toronto
another data point for everyone if interested.

I just did a 359km/230mi trip today in my 2021 M3P, charged to 95% at start and ended with 12%

Energy was 166 wh/km or 266 wh/mi
AC was kept at 21c/70f for whole trip
Sentry mode was on for 3 hrs while parked so lost about 3% there

I avg 90-100kmh or just under 60mph for the whole trip which was pretty much all highway/freeway

For a stretch towards the end, I drive at avg speed of 140kmh for 10mins or so and it said I would end my trip with 4% but traffic came up and I went back to the 100kmh speed

I think 170mi daily round trip is doable if you keep your energy below 300 wh/mi, just need the min 32a 240v charging overnight to be ready again

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

ryanbush

Oct 5, 2021
Fort Smith
another data point for everyone if interested.

I just did a 359km/230mi trip today in my 2021 M3P, charged to 95% at start and ended with 12%

Energy was 166 wh/km or 266 wh/mi
AC was kept at 21c/70f for whole trip
Sentry mode was on for 3 hrs while parked so lost about 3% there

I avg 90-100kmh or just under 60mph for the whole trip which was pretty much all highway/freeway

For a stretch towards the end, I drive at avg speed of 140kmh for 10mins or so and it said I would end my trip with 4% but traffic came up and I went back to the 100kmh speed

I think 170mi daily round trip is doable if you keep your energy below 300 wh/mi, just need the min 32a 240v charging overnight to be ready again
I make my 180mile commute with a typical overage of around 340 wh/mi just fine

MrThreeeee

Mar 25, 2019
Middle of Nowhere, CA
I also have made a 180 mile round trip all months of the year without issue in 2019 LR RWD M3. I charge to 90%, have an 8 hour day typically with Sentry Mode active and usually arrive home between 15-20%. Admittedly last winter I did not have to commute due to COVID but that first winter I had no issues. Maybe 2-3% less efficient than the summer, but I am in CA with the low not much below 32.

I also have a related battery question if anyone is listening...

I recently replaced 19" sport wheels with stock continental tires for aftermarket 19x9.5" wheels and unnecessarily indulgent tires. As it starts to cool off, I am getting home closer to 10% and lately will go straight to my kids soccer practice which has gotten me home as low as 5-6% a couple days. I totally recognize the real solution is putting more efficient tires on, but until I do, my question is if I am doing more long term battery damage draining under 10% some days or if I were to start charging to 95%? Another factor to consider for long term effects it that I only make this drive 2 days a week until at least May 22'

Sorry to highjack with my question, hopefully my experience is helpful to your decision if not already made.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC