Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR/P - 170 mile commute suitability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also live in Arkansas and have a 180 mile commute from the far south side of Fort Smith to Rogers a few times a week with my 2018 M3P, during the summer I charge to 90% and get home in the teens, in the winter I charge to 100% and get home in the low teens. When it's really cold or rainy I do slow down just a bit, but for the most part I run 80-85mph most of the time. I also have to go over the Boston mountains which really drives efficiency down a lot, with as flat as your drive is, you should have no problems.

I just received my 2021 but am still driving the 2018 until it sells, I really expect the larger battery and the heat pump in the 2021 to really help increases the efficiency of the car.

Let me know if you would be interested in chatting on the phone some time, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have..

I also live in Arkansas and have a 180 mile commute from the far south side of Fort Smith to Rogers a few times a week with my 2018 M3P, during the summer I charge to 90% and get home in the teens, in the winter I charge to 100% and get home in the low teens. When it's really cold or rainy I do slow down just a bit, but for the most part I run 80-85mph most of the time. I also have to go over the Boston mountains which really drives efficiency down a lot, with as flat as your drive is, you should have no problems.

I just received my 2021 but am still driving the 2018 until it sells, I really expect the larger battery and the heat pump in the 2021 to really help increases the efficiency of the car.

Let me know if you would be interested in chatting on the phone some time, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have..
That’s a pretty drive!

another data point for everyone if interested.

I just did a 359km/230mi trip today in my 2021 M3P, charged to 95% at start and ended with 12%

Energy was 166 wh/km or 266 wh/mi
AC was kept at 21c/70f for whole trip
Sentry mode was on for 3 hrs while parked so lost about 3% there

I avg 90-100kmh or just under 60mph for the whole trip which was pretty much all highway/freeway

For a stretch towards the end, I drive at avg speed of 140kmh for 10mins or so and it said I would end my trip with 4% but traffic came up and I went back to the 100kmh speed

I think 170mi daily round trip is doable if you keep your energy below 300 wh/mi, just need the min 32a 240v charging overnight to be ready again

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
another data point for everyone if interested.

I just did a 359km/230mi trip today in my 2021 M3P, charged to 95% at start and ended with 12%

Energy was 166 wh/km or 266 wh/mi
AC was kept at 21c/70f for whole trip
Sentry mode was on for 3 hrs while parked so lost about 3% there

I avg 90-100kmh or just under 60mph for the whole trip which was pretty much all highway/freeway

For a stretch towards the end, I drive at avg speed of 140kmh for 10mins or so and it said I would end my trip with 4% but traffic came up and I went back to the 100kmh speed

I think 170mi daily round trip is doable if you keep your energy below 300 wh/mi, just need the min 32a 240v charging overnight to be ready again
I make my 180mile commute with a typical overage of around 340 wh/mi just fine

I also have made a 180 mile round trip all months of the year without issue in 2019 LR RWD M3. I charge to 90%, have an 8 hour day typically with Sentry Mode active and usually arrive home between 15-20%. Admittedly last winter I did not have to commute due to COVID but that first winter I had no issues. Maybe 2-3% less efficient than the summer, but I am in CA with the low not much below 32.

I also have a related battery question if anyone is listening...

I recently replaced 19" sport wheels with stock continental tires for aftermarket 19x9.5" wheels and unnecessarily indulgent tires. As it starts to cool off, I am getting home closer to 10% and lately will go straight to my kids soccer practice which has gotten me home as low as 5-6% a couple days. I totally recognize the real solution is putting more efficient tires on, but until I do, my question is if I am doing more long term battery damage draining under 10% some days or if I were to start charging to 95%? Another factor to consider for long term effects it that I only make this drive 2 days a week until at least May 22'

Sorry to highjack with my question, hopefully my experience is helpful to your decision if not already made.

Bumping this back to the top with an update on the outcome for those that come across this thread in the future while researching a purchase.

We did end up taking delivery of a 2022 M3P in mid-December. After 8,250 miles to date in the coldest months of the year here in AR, we are averaging 315wh/mi with 85% of those miles being the roughly 165 mile weekday commute round trip. With the exception of a couple of outlier days with morning temps in the low teens with highs not getting above freezing where we schedule departed at 100% SOC, the daily departure SOC has been 90% with a return in the 18-20% range. All of this on the stock 20" wheels and tires. No signs of battery degradation to date either. With the exception of having to replace a tire at 5,000 miles due to a sheet metal screw in the shoulder of a tire, there has been zero maintenance needed to date.

My wife's employer is in the process of procuring several ChargePoint EVSE stations and once those are in place, this trip will have virtually zero risk regardless of weather or any additional driving that might be needed during the work day. Hopefully this data will help someone else along the way in their decision making process. Little did we know when we started this process where gas prices would be today. The ROI on this has shot through the roof with the amount of miles we're running.

Those temps happen maybe 5-10 days per year at best......not exactly cost effective to procure and swap to winter tires in that environment. We've owned/driven BMW's with summer tires year round (Pilot Sports) for years with no issues so long as you don't drive like you're at the track.

• Funny
Thanks for the update!

I have a similar commute but opted for the M3LR instead. Picked it up last November and haven't looked back. I prefer the added range buffer, but otherwise same comment as you. Great investment especially where gas prices are now.

As a bonus with my commute, there are several superchargers right off the highway I can hop into should the need arise. I haven't had to do that yet, but it's nice to know they are there.

departed at 100% SOC, the daily departure SOC has been 90% with a return in the 18-20% range.

Awesome, sounds like you are right in line with the estimates, prior to any capacity loss. And you have sufficient margin for 10% capacity loss going forward and sounds like by then you’ll just be able to charge at the destination, so probably no big deal.

And yes my assumption of $3/gal gas has proven wildly optimistic! Savings will add up.

While waiting for a delivery date I'm just soliciting others thoughts/opinions on using an M3P for a 150 mil round trip daily commute.
Most would agree that spending $70K plus on a car that's just going to rack up the miles doesn't make sense but at this stage of life, and with spending so much time in my car for at least another 3 years, The model 3 just seems like the ideal commuter car for everything other than price. I just want to get something that's a bit more exciting that a sensible beater/commuter again.
So curious what others may have to say on the matter.
Both those that have the car and are using it as a daily/ med to long range commuter and those that are also thinking through a potential purchase.

Thanks all.

While waiting for a delivery date I'm just soliciting others thoughts/opinions on using an M3P for a 150 mil round trip daily commute.
Most would agree that spending $70K plus on a car that's just going to rack up the miles doesn't make sense but at this stage of life, and with spending so much time in my car for at least another 3 years, The model 3 just seems like the ideal commuter car for everything other than price. I just want to get something that's a bit more exciting that a sensible beater/commuter again.
Both those that have the car and are using it as a daily/ med to long range commuter and those that are also thinking through a potential purchase.

Thanks all.

(moderator note)

Post moved into a thread with a very similar question. There is some feedback in this thread which may interest you

Thanks all.
I’m planning on doing 100 miles round trip but it’s pretty flat.

If you have the money to spend on a car and are spending that much time in the car, then you may as well buy a car that you like so that your long commute will be less unpleasant.

Of course, if you do not have the money, then your choice of car will have to emphasize lower cost of purchase and operation more.

However, the P model may not be the optimal choice for 150 mile commutes compared to the LR or RWD. The lower profile tires on 20" wheels are likely to be less comfortable and more prone to pothole damage, as well as costing economy and range, compared to the 18" wheels and not quite as low profile tires that you can get on the LR or RWD. Or do you also intend to do sporty / track driving with the car?

I did recently do a 170 miles mostly highway trip in a RWD car, using up about 2/3 of the charge in the battery (100% -> 34%). So any Model 3 should have the range to do your commute, although if you drive significantly less economically than the EPA rating (i.e. some combination of very high highway speed, weather that requires heavy heat or AC use, lots of wind or rain), then the RWD may not be as comfortable range-wise than the LR (although the RWD LFP battery is likely to lose capacity more slowly than the LR NCA battery).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
2020 LR AWD with 20" Performance Wheels and PS4 A/S tires.

My wife makes a 150mi round trip daily on all highways. There are a few charging stations on alternate (longer) routes, so she has a backup in case something happens. Currently, she charges to 88% daily and returns with 20+% remaining.

Soon we may encounter a scenario where she will be driving 190mi round trip and I am trying to find the best combination between wheels/tires for a good middle ground between looks/performance/efficiency.

Reactions: edge350
2020 LR AWD with 20" Performance Wheels and PS4 A/S tires.

My wife makes a 150mi round trip daily on all highways. There are a few charging stations on alternate (longer) routes, so she has a backup in case something happens. Currently, she charges to 88% daily and returns with 20+% remaining.

Soon we may encounter a scenario where she will be driving 190mi round trip and I am trying to find the best combination between wheels/tires for a good middle ground between looks/performance/efficiency.
If driving at similar economy and using 68% for 150 miles, she will use 86% for 190 miles.

So maybe 18" wheels with aero caps and OEM tires or Pirelli PZero AS ELECT tires may help with the economy and range.

If driving at similar economy and using 68% for 150 miles, she will use 86% for 190 miles.

So maybe 18" wheels with aero caps and OEM tires or Pirelli PZero AS ELECT tires may help with the economy and rang
Thanks for the input.

We still have a few months to think things over. Maybe do a test drive this weekend. I am hoping Michelin releases more sizes in their PS EV line soon, but I will look further into the PZero AS ELECT. Perhaps lowering the car, but I'm not a huge fan of the stock 18's lowered.