Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR range - anyone check it out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just mocked up a couple of routes in ABRP to compare the short range battery to the long range battery. I used 100% reference speed, the default consumption, and a charger arrival goal of 10%.

The results are interesting, both from a charging time perspective as well as total trip distance. The long range battery enables more direct routes on some trips, while the short range sometimes has to deviate from the shortest path because current supercharger spacing exceeds the vehicle's range. None of the trips take overnight destination charging into account.

Tampa, FL to Woodbridge, VA:
Short range: 3 hours, 39 minutes charging. 894 miles
Long range: 2 hours, 8 minutes charging. 890 miles

Lexington, KY to Salt Lake City, UT:
Short range: 9 hours, 1 minute charging. 1,758 miles
Long range: 5 hours, 42 minutes charging. 1,682 miles

Springfield, VA to Bellingham, WA:
Short range: 15 hours, 18 minutes charging. 3,030 miles
Long range: 9 hours, 35 minutes charging. 2,915 miles

I'm certainly not presenting these numbers as gospel, but I think they do a pretty good job of illustrating how much of a time difference battery capacity can make on a road trip. Winter will also exaggerate these differences quite a bit.
Be cautious with the absolute values. ABRP assumes 71 kWh for the LR battery (51 for SR). 78+ is the capacity Tesla has tested. 75 kWh is imo a more realistic number.

Be cautious with the absolute values. ABRP assumes 71 kWh for the LR battery (51 for SR). 78+ is the capacity Tesla has tested. 75 kWh is imo a more realistic number.

I agree. According to the previous reported cell numbers the big pack contains 4416 and the small pack 2976 cells. So the capacity ratio is 1.48. If we assume they have the same relative buffer size the usable capacity should have the same ratio.

If the small pack is indeed 51 kWh the large pack should be around 75 kWh.

The Model 3 LR allows 120 - 180 mile stints on road trips in most weather conditions. That's leveraging about 60% of the battery pack, which keeps you riding the wave at the Superchargers without having to deal with speed tapering or range anxiety by milking those last few miles. This stint distance is good for most people... I know I'm ready to get out for a bit after 2-3 hours.

Being an avid road tripper, the long range battery is an absolute must for me. The short range would work for daily driving and shorter weekend trips that involve one or two Supercharger stops. Trips longer than 400 miles would get tedious with the short range battery, which has less range than even the X 75D.

Not sure if this is already said. But based on EPA data M3 SR will have about the same highwayrange as a MX 75D. 10% less than MS 75D. Check Troys post:
[Spoiler Alert + Mild Speculation] Tesla has created a monster!

I agree. According to the previous reported cell numbers the big pack contains 4416 and the small pack 2976 cells. So the capacity ratio is 1.48. If we assume they have the same relative buffer size the usable capacity should have the same ratio.

If the small pack is indeed 51 kWh the large pack should be around 75 kWh.
I think you are confusing ABRP pack sizes with actual pack sizes:
ABRP = 51 kWh and 71 kWh
Actual = ~50kwH and ~75-78kWh

ABRP pack size estimates were made before actual Model 3 data was available, and apparently have not been updated to actual pack sizes. But not to worry, it makes little to no difference in ABRP trip planning (since only ~60-70% of the pack size difference affects things).

Last edited:
I think you are confusing ABRP pack sizes with actual pack sizes:
ABRP = 51 kWh and 71 kWh
Actual = ~50kwH and ~75-78kWh

ABRP pack size estimates were made before actual Model 3 data was available, and apparently have not been updated to actual pack sizes. But not to worry, it makes little to no difference in ABRP trip planning (since only ~60-70% of the pack size difference affects things).
@blincoln , does the Model 3 battery information need to be updated?

@blincoln , does the Model 3 battery information need to be updated?
Sorry, I did not have the time to understand the whole thread yet, but let me just clarify that ABRP does in fact assume 71 kWh usable (75 kWh battery pack with 4 kWh bricking protection) for the M3LR.

The EPA docs contain quite a few questionable numbers so if that is the only source of information, I would be very cautious to change the current assumption. What ABRP needs is a Model 3 owner who keeps ABRP running while being logged in to MyTesla in ABRP so that we can log some numbers :)

You cannot live with SR as your only car. Altleast not without a lot of compromise and difficultly. You need to have a backup ICE for long distance trips. I am not talking about hypermiling.

But I can see LR as the only car with not much of a difficulty.

I have a MS-60 that shows 208 miles when fully charged. I live in North Carolina and have taken trips to Miami Beach, Central Georgia, Ohio, and Boston.

I can only recall 3 times that I was ready to leave from charging before the car was charged enough continue. Usually I'm at a restaurant or talking to another Tesla owner.

There were only two times I had to choose a longer route to use a supercharger adding an hour to a 14 hour trip. When we are at events in the middle of nowhere I have always been able to plug into a 15 amp outlet at the hotel to add 40 miles overnight to meet our needs.

We have nearly 20,000 miles on her and will be completely comfortable selling our last ICE car when we get our M3. We have no worries about long trips in a Tesla.

I have a MS-60 that shows 208 miles when fully charged. I live in North Carolina and have taken trips to Miami Beach, Central Georgia, Ohio, and Boston.

I can only recall 3 times that I was ready to leave from charging before the car was charged enough continue. Usually I'm at a restaurant or talking to another Tesla owner.

There were only two times I had to choose a longer route to use a supercharger adding an hour to a 14 hour trip. When we are at events in the middle of nowhere I have always been able to plug into a 15 amp outlet at the hotel to add 40 miles overnight to meet our needs.

We have nearly 20,000 miles on her and will be completely comfortable selling our last ICE car when we get our M3. We have no worries about long trips in a Tesla.
And THAT'S with a 60!! Impressive.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but I found this youtube video of a 14 miles model 3 trip to a Supercharger San Mateo Ca - Bridgepoint Pway.

Although this video is about charging speed, I found the following interesting info on M3-LRs energy consumption:
At 0:14 he starts with 94 mi charge at I280, crossing the 35 at 70 mph (58F)
At 1:10 he's at the supercharger with 80 mi charge
According to Google maps and ABRP he drove 14.1 miles.

So it seems rated and real world miles are pretty much the same under these conditions.

310 EPA range could also be real range!
(driving at 70 mph hwy combined with city at 58 F)

Last edited:

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but I found this youtube video of a 14 miles model 3 trip to a Supercharger San Mateo Ca - Bridgepoint Pway.

Although this video is about charging speed, I found the following interesting info on M3-LRs energy consumption:
At 0:14 he starts with 94 mi charge at I280, crossing the 35 at 70 mph (58F)
At 1:10 he's at the supercharger with 80 mi charge
According to Google maps and ABRP he drove 14.1 miles.

So it seems rated and real world miles are pretty much the same under these conditions.

310 EPA range could also be real range!
(driving at 70 mph hwy combined with city at 58 F)

Isn't that stretch substantially downhill? And, typically downwind, as well? If so, that would make a huge difference in efficiency, easily enough to offset 70 mph travel.

His daily average consumption rate, according to his YouTube comments is at 290 wh/mile. Pretty high and you are not going to get more than 260 miles at that rate.

But then that is the overall average, and not for this specific trip.

Has anyone credibly sorted out the adverse highway range effect of 19"s vs 18"s (w Aero cover)? (I'm assuming 19" vs 18" w/o aero cover is negligible)?
(Dammit Jim, I'm an accountant not an engineer!)
well, the EPA did since there's different numbers for those configurations, and as rumored from long ago, it was a ballpark 10% figure at highway speeds. This reflected not just the 19 vs 18 and addition of aero covers but the change to a low rolling resistance tire.

Reactions: suwaneedad
well, the EPA did since there's different numbers for those configurations, and as rumored from long ago, it was a ballpark 10% figure at highway speeds. This reflected not just the 19 vs 18 and addition of aero covers but the change to a low rolling resistance tire.
I agree, figure about 10% with the aero covers and the 18"LRR tires. The 19" wheels use "performance" tires and that contributes to the loss in range. I figure I can get maybe 240 mile max. range with the SR battery, 18" wheels with aero covers and stock LRR tires, and driving conservatively (65 mph and regen braking).

I have a Prius Plug In and have learned how to drive an EV to maximize range. You need to learn a new driving protocol if you want to achieve the advertised range of an EV. You can drive an EV like you would an ICE (floorboard it on acceleration, apply brakes two car lengths from stopsign, and drive 75/80 on the highway), but you will be disappointed in the range.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad and DR61
I agree, figure about 10% with the aero covers and the 18"LRR tires. The 19" wheels use "performance" tires and that contributes to the loss in range. I figure I can get maybe 240 mile max. range with the SR battery, 18" wheels with aero covers and stock LRR tires, and driving conservatively (65 mph and regen braking).

I have a Prius Plug In and have learned how to drive an EV to maximize range. You need to learn a new driving protocol if you want to achieve the advertised range of an EV. You can drive an EV like you would an ICE (floorboard it on acceleration, apply brakes two car lengths from stopsign, and drive 75/80 on the highway), but you will be disappointed in the range.
Yes, six years and counting in my 2012 LEAF (hit 70k yesterday) has enabled me to appreciate how to get max range from an EV. I'm planning on the M3LR, and have been wrestling with whether to get the 19" wheels because they're pretty, or go with the 18" wheels (without the covers, which I find unattractive). I hadn't realized until now that there's a 10% range penalty with the 19s, vs the covered 18s. I'd cover the 18s for my road trips. Perhaps I've found my tie-breaker decision...range maximization! So, thank you for the comments. 10% is a big deal to me on road trips in particular. Local driving, LR is an extravagance and I can yank the aero covers for local use...looks to be a quick process. One quick question re the tire differences: should I expect the ride on the LRR 18s to be louder? I can't stand road noise and typically spend whatever I need to in order to get the quietest tire I can find. Thank you.

I can yank the aero covers for local use...looks to be a quick process. One quick question re the tire differences: should I expect the ride on the LRR 18s to be louder? I can't stand road noise and typically spend whatever I need to in order to get the quietest tire I can find. Thank you.
Using the 18" rims without the covers for local driving and with covers for long distance driving is a terrific strategy. I use Michelin LRR Energy Savers tires (they were not OEM) on my Prius and my range went up and tire noise went down compared to OEM. Model 3 uses Michelin Primacy LRR tires for the 18" (uses Continental performance tires for the 19"). The Primacy tire is a newer design than the Energy Savers. Here is what TireRack.com says about the Primacy tire:
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 did a good job softening the sharp edge of abrupt impacts, feeling taut but not harsh. The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring was right behind, feeling almost as refined and controlled as the Primacy MXM4. The Continental ContiProContact and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity followed, both feeling a little less supple than the Primacy MXM4, allowing a bit more of the road's imperfections to be felt by the driver. The Primacy MXM4 also delivered the quietest ride of the group, producing minimal tread noise and only a modest boom when encountering abrupt impacts.
The Primacy tire had the best LRR and efficiency of the tires tested.
In my opinion you will be much happier with the 18" wheels compared to the 19" wheels given your criteria. I am choosing the 18" wheels with stock tires for my model 3 with enthusiasm. Again, I think I can beat the 220 mile range of the SR battery with a little planning and smart EV driving.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad and DR61