Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD regen builds too slowly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I lift off the accelerator, regen is very gradual in its buildup to maximum (2-4 seconds). When I release, I feel like I should get max regen right away to the point that it throws me forward in the seat. As it is now I feel like it is way too weak since the first few seconds are very minimal. It works, but it is an annoyance to traffic behind me.

When I lift off the accelerator, regen is very gradual in its buildup to maximum (2-4 seconds). When I release, I feel like I should get max regen right away to the point that it throws me forward in the seat. As it is now I feel like it is way too weak since the first few seconds are very minimal. It works, but it is an annoyance to traffic behind me.
Why would that be an annoyance for traffic behind you? I would think a car that slams on the regen/brakes every time the pedel is moved would be more of an annoyance.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's an annoyance because I slow from 45 at a rate that is unusual for normal friction brakes. I have to let off sooner, go through a 2-3 second transition phase with limited regen where I slow to 35 and then a sudden deceleration to 20mph. It's just weird.

My only solution is to shift into neutral, coast, and then drop it into drive. That gives full regen right away.

Do you have the OEM tires on the car? Last winter I very briefly went to Michelin X-Ice 3's on the rear, and boy what a cluster that was, it threw the regen off all to hell and back.

They ended up mostly fixing the winter tire regen issues with a software update. I do agree that it sounds like he has non-OEM tires on.