Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD vs LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boo! If it wasn’t already financially tight I really wish I would have sprung for the AWD. Extra motor safety net just in case one fails and better acceleration!

I’ll take the better efficiency/range of RWD any day! Especially in cold climates where every bit of efficiency is needed to achieve decent range. I consider myself lucky to have gotten a LR RWD car before they were discontinued.

I’ll take the better efficiency/range of RWD any day! Especially in cold climates where every bit of efficiency is needed to achieve decent range. I consider myself lucky to have gotten a LR RWD car before they were discontinued.

Yeah I guess range is long but honestly the longest trip I’ve taken in my LR RWD in three months of ownership is 65 miles lol. My daily commute is 11 miles. So the acceleration and extra motor may have been more beneficial than the extra range lol. Oh wel. It’s annoying that I could now get white interior and AWD for just $4000 more than what I paid for my RWD. Oh well.

I'm sure everyone realizes that in every day driving that small acceleration difference is undetectable. Kinda shows why you shouldn't get AWD for the speed but rather it's ability in inclement weather.

Well to people who like to floor it at stoplights or accept challenges from ICE vehicles, they would beg to differ :p

But you're mostly right, every day drivers likely won't notice too big of a difference. That instant torque though, it's just so addicting.

I honestly don’t think I will ever get 350 miles of range in my LR RWD. I’m getting 259 kw/h efficiency and that’s with Aeros always on.
I have had mine since Feb 1 and after 11,000 miles I am at about 193 kw/h for the life of the car. I'm an aggressive driver and certainly have had trips with usage much higher but overall consumption pattern is great. As for getting 350 miles of range, why is that even slightly important? (Also I have the upgraded wheels.)

I have had mine since Feb 1 and after 11,000 miles I am at about 193 kw/h for the life of the car. I'm an aggressive driver and certainly have had trips with usage much higher but overall consumption pattern is great. As for getting 350 miles of range, why is that even slightly important? (Also I have the upgraded wheels.)

Do you live in an area with almost ZERO hills? I don’t understand why my consumption numbers are so high.

Do you live in an area with almost ZERO hills? I don’t understand why my consumption numbers are so high.

He’s in Arizona where it’s warm. EVs love being warm. When I first got my car in late August I was averaging 190-200wh/mi most days. These days it’s 275 with the heat on and 220 with it off.