Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just got my first 10k mile and think I may schedule a tire rotation. Then Tesla (Dublin, CA) told me that they will charge me $87.5 and advice me to do it somewhere else, plus there is no tire warranty anyway. Is this normal? Or anyone knows any other tesla in bay area will do it for lower cost? I don't think I wanna pay 87.5 for just tire rotation.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190106-070632_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20190106-070632_1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,264
Hi, I just got my first 10k mile and think I may schedule a tire rotation. Then Tesla (Dublin, CA) told me that they will charge me $87.5 and advice me to do it somewhere else, plus there is no tire warranty anyway. Is this normal? Or anyone knows any other tesla in bay area will do it for lower cost? I don't think I wanna pay 87.5 for just tire rotation.....
I took my LR to Tesla service for tire rotation at 6500 miles (manual says every 6,250) and they measured no difference in tread between front and back and therefore said it wasn’t needed. So you might first measure tread on yours before rotating.

I did it myself last week. You can buy all of the tools, maybe including a Harbor Freight floor jack for the same price. You only need to buy one "puck" to lift up each side.

Lift one side (you only need to jack the front jack point...it will lift both wheels), swap the wheels front to back and then repeat on the opposite side.

The only trouble I ran into was that the car was too low for my jack so I had to drive the front wheel up on wood blocks to get the jack under.

Jack pad adapter

When I brought mine in for service for them to fix other things, they rotated my tires for free. Surprised they’re advising you to go elsewhere, but in CA I’m sure they would rather not waste time doing tire rotations. Anyone can rotate your tires, if it makes you feel any better ask if they’ve worked on a Tesla before. From what I hear, Costco does a lot of Tesla tire rotations.

I routinely use America's Tire (mine is in Walnut Creek) for all tire work/rotations. Many services are free. They have worked on all 3 Teslas. And FWIW when I get a new car (like my recent Model 3) I go buy their tire warranty, so I am covered for road hazards. All good.

Reactions: WallyP
I routinely use America's Tire (mine is in Walnut Creek) for all tire work/rotations. Many services are free. They have worked on all 3 Teslas. And FWIW when I get a new car (like my recent Model 3) I go buy their tire warranty, so I am covered for road hazards. All good.
Are their prices competitive for tires? Also, how much is their tire warranty?

Lift one side (you only need to jack the front jack point...it will lift both wheels), swap the wheels front to back and then repeat on the opposite side.

So I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, and it makes me a little uneasy to lift the whole side of the car from one point. how sure are we that there aren't unacceptable stresses being placed by doing this?

PSA - Smoking deal right now on Michelin MXM4 Primacy at America's Tire for $207 per tire plus $70 Michelin rebate and an additional $50 rebate from the shop if you open a credit line. Certificates for all 4 tires are $116, and Michelin warranty is 55K miles. I bought them early and asked them to store them for me until I am ready to replace and mount them. Love that shop !!

• Informative
Reactions: chronopc

America's Tire price matches legitimate quotes (including Tire Rack minus the shipping fees). When I bought the tire warranty for the 20" Michelin Pilot 4s, it cost about $220. Way cheaper than 1 new tire. And historically I have needed to replace 2 tires due to road hazards before I needed to buy a new set.

• Informative
Reactions: chronopc
PSA - Smoking deal right now on Michelin MXM4 Primacy at America's Tire for $207 per tire plus $70 Michelin rebate and an additional $50 rebate from the shop if you open a credit line. Certificates for all 4 tires are $116, and Michelin warranty is 55K miles. I bought them early and asked them to store them for me until I am ready to replace and mount them. Love that shop !!
That's a great idea. I might buy some tires with them and have them hold it till I need it too.

So I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, and it makes me a little uneasy to lift the whole side of the car from one point. how sure are we that there aren't unacceptable stresses being placed by doing this?

I share your concern.

This is how America's Tire lifts it which I believe is the safest. The shop in my area has a lot of Tesla business.
Americas Tire.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: follow.johnny