Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just rotate the tires this Sat using my 2 ton floor jack, scissor jack from my CRV + 2 hockey pucks. Didn't have to lift the car too high (~9.5 inches). It is very hard to turn the scissor jack when using on the Model 3.

I didn't want to use just 1 jack. I feel it is safer with 2.

Rotation

Did any one else notice that the latest manual from Tesla now says to rotate tires every 10,000-12,000 miles (page 139 of most recent manual). It used to be every 6,250 miles.

Yeah I noticed this change as well. Depending on your driving habits and how fast your drive and accelerate, some owners may need to rotate their tires more often than the recommended 10-12k miles YMMV.

I had my first tire rotations at the recommend 6,250 miles and I'm slowly coming up on 15,000 miles and will have my tires rotated.

I noticed more uneven wear on my first 10K (new and driving more spirited?) Than I've seen since my first rotation. My first rotation was at 10K and the rears of my RWD were noticeably worn more than the fronts. Now, 17K miles later (27K total) I just measured them as about even. Rears have about (1/2) of 32nd less than fronts... Rears at 4.5 and fronts at 5 (32nds)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I've been doing rotations at 6.5-7K, total of three now. That tends to be a long enough interval to wear the rears down by 1-1.5/32" (not very spirited driving, majority of miles are my wife's commute). I might stretch it a bit given the new recommendation but since I do the rotation myself, don't have a problem sticking to 7K.

EDIT: Stock MXM4s

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Do people who take their M3s to shops for tire rotations take the hockey pucks with them? I plan to take it local Costco and give them the pucks. Pucks seem to be additional safeguard against screw ups or damage to the lift points.

All of the Californians recommend bringing your car to any old tire shop, but my intuition is telling me that most shops in Maryland would not know how to properly lift a Model 3.

For what it's worth, I think Tyson's Corner charges $75 for a rotation, which includes wiper fluid top-up and a car wash. Until I have proof that local shops know what they're doing, that's what I'll do for my first rotation.

All of the Californians recommend bringing your car to any old tire shop, but my intuition is telling me that most shops in Maryland would not know how to properly lift a Model 3.

For what it's worth, I think Tyson's Corner charges $75 for a rotation, which includes wiper fluid top-up and a car wash. Until I have proof that local shops know what they're doing, that's what I'll do for my first rotation.
My local SC technician Gary said he would do a home visit and rotate the tires at home for around that price, maybe he said $85 if I remember. I also asked Costco Columbia MD tire center if they have worked on M3s and they said yes. I didn't dig deeper as to whether they knew the lift points nuance and the wheel torque specs. I will do that next time I am there.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Do people who take their M3s to shops for tire rotations take the hockey pucks with them? I plan to take it local Costco and give them the pucks. Pucks seem to be additional safeguard against screw ups or damage to the lift points.
I took my Model 3 to a local Discount TIre for my first rotation. I asked them to use the "hockey pucks" and they did with no issues. They did it for free. They said they have serviced many Model 3s without the jack pads with no issues. I just wanted to make sure they didn't damage the battery pack. Tesla wanted about $90.

Hopefully Tesla will join BMW and state that tire rotations are a waste of time.

I know people disagree, but here's my honest belief after looking into this in depth: tire rotation is slightly dangerous and may result in faster tire wear. At best it allows evening wear that is higher in either the front or the back so that 4 tires can be replaced all at once instead of two at a time. But even that is less safe because when rotating front to back it means that at least some period of time your worse tires on the rear which is less safe. Better to pick a good model of tires and replace two at a time, with the best tires in the rear.

Further rotation can cause faster wear: A new tire wears into its position such that the contact patch becomes its widest. When it's at its widest, the rate of wear reaches a minimum. Rotate the tires and the contact patch is no longer optimum... the tire has to wear into its new position all over again. Until it does so, your stability at the limit is slightly off and your emergency handling is slightly compromised. After a rotation the tire wears into its new position, the contact patch is narrow, the contact pressure is elevated, and the tire wears more quickly.

Only if your alignment is way off, or you have a lead foot with a rwd car will tire rotation make the tires last longer.

Better to not rotate and be better able to see evidence of any alignment issues, and stop wasting the Tesla techs time in the false fantasy that you are getting couple extra months out of your tires.

Use winter tires if you have seasons, but otherwise I say trust the German bmw engineers on this one. And don’t trust service techs, even Tesla techs, to jack up your car and risk over or under tightening your lug nuts. Don't rotate the tires.

I rotated my M3 LR via Tesla mobile service at around 7,500 miles for no charge in late 2018. Now at 16,000 miles after 1 year of ownership, I went to Discount Tire yesterday morning to check up on the stock tires, and the technician measured all 4 of them at 6/32" and he said they were all exactly even, so no rotation needed. He said to come back around 30K miles since I have worn the tires down to about half tread so far. Sounds good to me!

My local SC technician Gary said he would do a home visit and rotate the tires at home for around that price, maybe he said $85 if I remember. I also asked Costco Columbia MD tire center if they have worked on M3s and they said yes. I didn't dig deeper as to whether they knew the lift points nuance and the wheel torque specs. I will do that next time I am there.
My So Cal Costco does balance and rotate for $21.99. They have the tools for the 3 now. I took mine in 3 weeks ago. No problems.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik