Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR tire rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MXM4s are the scariest wet weather tires I have ever experienced. I have zero confidence in any wet weather conditions.
About two weeks ago I drove through some of the most terrifying rain I can recall in my 45 years behind the wheel. Often at about half the speed limit, and even pulled over and just waited at one point. Among many concerns were tire grip and hydroplaning. But as scary as that storm was, I never felt the MXM4s lose contact or otherwise let me down.

My model 3 LR RWD purchased May 2019 is on 6100 miles. I want to rotate the tires. Are these rotated back left for front left and back right for front right or do they get rotated in that mentioned X pattern? I have the stock aero wheels. Also what are these pucks I read about and where do they sell them? Is there any YouTube video of rotating them yourself? Otherwise I don't mind the 80 bucks to rotate them by Tesla does that include balance and or is balancing needed?

My model 3 LR RWD purchased May 2019 is on 6100 miles. I want to rotate the tires. Are these rotated back left for front left and back right for front right or do they get rotated in that mentioned X pattern? I have the stock aero wheels. Also what are these pucks I read about and where do they sell them? Is there any YouTube video of rotating them yourself? Otherwise I don't mind the 80 bucks to rotate them by Tesla does that include balance and or is balancing needed?

discount tire (America’s tire in CA) will rotate for free and use the manual hand jacks. Paying $80 is crazy!

Reactions: gilscales
Have a M3 LR Dual Motor, one year old with 9,000 miles. Went to rotate tires last week for first time, tire store said all tires looked close to same tread so they measured--tread at 7/32 rear and 6/32 front. I'll wait and check again at 10k.

Have a M3 LR Dual Motor, one year old with 9,000 miles. Went to rotate tires last week for first time, tire store said all tires looked close to same tread so they measured--tread at 7/32 rear and 6/32 front. I'll wait and check again at 10k.

yeah it was interesting for me. I went at 7,000 miles and all four measured at 7/32. I have a RWD. I rotated anyway but if they are still even at 14,000 I might not rotate again.

yeah it was interesting for me. I went at 7,000 miles and all four measured at 7/32. I have a RWD. I rotated anyway but if they are still even at 14,000 I might not rotate again.

So I just got my tires rotated at Tesla Center in St Louis area at 7,372 miles. The total cost was $113.75. Which I think is very steep since its just tire rotations. I did want to feel more safe due to what I hear about the jack points and a place maybe not knowing, if there is anyone in STL area that has used another place for this that you trust I would really like for a recommendation. Also I guess I could see about buying the pucks and going with someone else or doing it myself. Here is Screenshot of the job order.

Says the Fronts are now 6/32 and the Rears are 7/32.

TeslaTireRotation.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Got a set of coupons from Harbor Freight Tools the other day:

- 3 ton steel low profile floor jack $99.99
- 3 ton steel jack stands $18.99
- Click-type torque wrench $9.99
- Solid rubber wheel chock $7.99

And then it looks like you can buy/make jack pads for about $20. (any recommended brands?)

Is there anything I'm forgetting, or does the above include everything I would need to safely rotate tires myself for about $160?

And then it looks like you can buy/make jack pads for about $20. (any recommended brands?)

Is there anything I'm forgetting, or does the above include everything I would need to safely rotate tires myself for about $160?

Are the $20 pads the same thing as the pucks everyone is talking about?

Lift one side (you only need to jack the front jack point...it will lift both wheels), swap the wheels front to back and then repeat on the opposite side.

Seriously? I can jack the front up enough to lift the rear in order to change the tire? Never would have thunk this :)

WRT the jack pucks... I use a pneumatic jack, same one I've had for 20 years... When I lifted the rear the other day to install the trailer hitch, I just put a small block of wood above the jack and all was fine. Do I "need" this puck? I have hockey pucks and could insert that 'pin' into it - but once it's jacked up, gravity is going to keep it from sliding, I'm not concerned about that.

Thoughts? TIA

Seriously? I can jack the front up enough to lift the rear in order to change the tire? Never would have thunk this :)

WRT the jack pucks... I use a pneumatic jack, same one I've had for 20 years... When I lifted the rear the other day to install the trailer hitch, I just put a small block of wood above the jack and all was fine. Do I "need" this puck? I have hockey pucks and could insert that 'pin' into it - but once it's jacked up, gravity is going to keep it from sliding, I'm not concerned about that.

Thoughts? TIA

How safe is it to life both tires from the front jack point? it seems youd have lift considerably more to accomplish this? Is the body hard and rigid enough?

How safe is it to life both tires from the front jack point? it seems youd have lift considerably more to accomplish this? Is the body hard and rigid enough?
It's a common practice. I can't speak for the Model 3, as I've not yet had the pleasure of doing a tire rotation on it; on my previous car (2007 VW GTI), by the time I could get the front jacked up high enough to remove the wheel, the rear wheel was already starting to lift off the ground.

I got the HF 1.5T Aluminum floor jack that's on sale for $59.99. It works great for the Model 3. I think the jack stands are useless for rotation. I also got a 21mm Craftsman Deep Impact Socket when Orchard Supply was going out of business.

HF Jack Coupon.jpg

Some people need a breaker bar, to break the lugs loose, cause they're tight! 129 ft-lbs. And you need the right size deep sockets. I forget, 21mm?

Puck and pads are the same thing. You can make your own pucks with old hockey pucks. I bought 4 practice pucks at Dicks. Practice pucks are heavier and salmon-colored (easier to see). Drilled a ¾" hole half way, then inserted a piece of leftover ¾" PEX into hole with Gorilla glue. Used tape to increase the diameter of nub so that the pucks can hang from jackpoints. That way, I can take it to the tire shop, insert the pucks, and tell the shop tech, to jack up under the pucks. Easy peasy.
IMG_1157.jpeg