Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ludicrous 0-100 km/hr Poll

Time in seconds

• <2.5

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • 2.5 - 3.0

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • 3.1 - 3.5

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • 3.6 - 4.0

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • 4.0<

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Benny you missed my contest for whoever guesses closest 10th of a second zero-60 ludicrous time for Model 3. Winner gets a set of Tesla mugs. But I'm glad to see other polls going on! I'm betting it will be 2.5 seconds (hopefully less, I like having my face melted)
Seeing as the P100DL came out with 2.5 seconds, I'm worried about my original guess... :(

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
With 0-60 times decreasing rapidly (it seems), at what point do they become a danger to the driver or anything in his or the car's path? Really, 2.5 seconds?
This has been studied extensively. Acceleration beyond roughly 4G's can restrict vision while 5G's often causes loss of consciousness. One presumes that being conscious is a good thing for a Tesla driver, so we don't advocate Maximum Plaid(MP) to exceed that level. Caution suggests the upper limit for MP should probably not exceed 2G's, considering that so many Tesla drivers are geezers, and so many others might be reading newspapers, watching TV or performing ablutions of one kind or another. For reference there are many studies, but here is a link to a brief discussion of the subject:

http://gizmodo.com/why-the-human-body-cant-handle-heavy-acceleration-1640491171

Translating all this to 1/4 mile performance the current best times/speeds seem to be 4.42 seconds and 335 mph. Presumably MP should not be better than that. Anyway that is for Top Fuel dragsters, not production vehicles, so not a valid comparison. Still...:eek:
Sadly, there is no 0-60 time available. It would appear to be quite short.

So, let's face it, the P100DL is only the beginning. There is much improvement to be made; the M3 PxxDL should be an ideal place to begin to improve the mediocre performance of Tesla cars since it will have much reduced physical size, better aerodynamics (we hope), and drivetrain better suited for higher efficiency and improved performance.

By reference my personal quickest acceleration was some years ago when I was flying a Learjet 25. We took off on a clear winter night from Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, OH, with clear skies and -10F. We were cleared to FL410 (41,000 ft) on takeoff. My copilot timed the event (only the two of us on board)

Penultimately, considering all that, I think the M3PxxDMP should aim for 2.2 seconds 0-60 and 9.7 seconds/130MPH 1/4 mile. Some of us would pay $100,000 immediately for that level of performance. A few of us might pay a great deal more than that.

Finally, the real question is: why? The answer is: because it can be done.

I wonder why the 0-60 acceleration concerns don't come up on the Bugatti / Paganni / Koenigsegg / Porsch 918 and Lambo forums?

0-60 < 2.9 isn't new. Its been in existence for a decade. Why the concern now?

That article above is kinda funny. The writer equates quick acceleration with " tripping over an ottoman". That's ludicrous...and so will be my M3.

Last edited:
Caution suggests the upper limit for MP should probably not exceed 2G's, considering that so many Tesla drivers are geezers, and so many others might be reading newspapers, watching TV or performing ablutions of one kind or another.

The Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Cedar Point hits 0 - 60 in about 2.1 seconds or so and hits about 2 Gs. This is plenty fast enough, especially since, if you're not ready for it, you're going to smack your head on the headrest. Just keeping your arms up is hard enough.

The Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Cedar Point hits 0 - 60 in about 2.1 seconds or so and hits about 2 Gs. This is plenty fast enough, especially since, if you're not ready for it, you're going to smack your head on the headrest. Just keeping your arms up is hard enough.
Thanks for confirming my thesis. Does Cedar Point have a "geezer limit" or anything else we should consider it making our recommendations to Tesla on the recommended M3 performance levels?
I had not thought about amusement parks as a reference. I should have since driving a P85DL, as I do, is already much like an amusement park ride.:eek:

Reactions: Red Sage