Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ludicrous 2.0 seconds flat?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nausea inducing acceleration! Or G-force blacked out drivers where the car has to take over for the health of others :)
I understand exactly what you are saying, however I'm not interested in Tesla being a baby sitting service for my neural system. I'll take care of that myself.
If Tesla want's me to sign a disclaimer releasing them from any Ludicrous liability.....then I will be first in line.

I'm not trolling but if it can do 0-60 in 2.0flat then you will need a complete physical to use it or be sued.
.8g can make you black out if have an unknown heart condition/brain issue. I would never use it for safety sake.
Dragsters need to take drug tests and physicals to be able to race.

I'm not trolling but if it can do 0-60 in 2.0flat then you will need a complete physical to use it or be sued.
.8g can make you black out if have an unknown heart condition/brain issue. I would never use it for safety sake.
Dragsters need to take drug tests and physicals to be able to race.
Yes, if you have an existing condition it can be dangerous but it isn't that bad. Consider the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point, it does 0 - 60 in 1.2 seconds and hits over 2g's. Yes, people pass out from it, and people get sick but none of the millions of people that ride it are required to take a complete physical to ride it. True, none of the riders are actually controlling it, but the acceleration isn't that debilitating.

This points out that the theoretical best time for a street legal car is 2.0s 0-60. The Model 3 will be quick, but I think Model S will always be the quickest car in the Tesla family until the next gen Roadster is introduced.

I don't think the Model 3 will ever have a battery large enough to challenge the acceleration of the Model S P cars. Whatever they can do to improve performance of the M3, can be done to the MS and it sounds like the top end MS will always have a larger battery than possible on the M3.

• Informative
Reactions: zenmaster and arnis
Ludicruios 0-60 at 3 or greater is not "Ludicrous" IMHO.

It is if you count in the bill. Getting 3 second result from $50k vehicle is unheard-of.
It's faster than BMW M3 and cheaper by a third.

My estimations are right near 3 second mark. This is due to smaller pack not giving out more juice and slightly lighter vehicle having better acceleration on that juice. Anything more than 3 seconds will be too far from "mass market vehicle".

It is if you count in the bill. Getting 3 second result from $50k vehicle is unheard-of.
It's faster than BMW M3 and cheaper by a third.

My estimations are right near 3 second mark. This is due to smaller pack not giving out more juice and slightly lighter vehicle having better acceleration on that juice. Anything more than 3 seconds will be too far from "mass market vehicle".
Tesla makes cars that are unheard-of. That's what they do.

How many folks would ever have said that a car as large as the MS would achieve the 0-60 times that could challenge 1.2 to 4 million dollar and up cars.

Tesla makes cars that are unheard-of. That's what they do.

How many folks would ever have said that a car as large as the MS would achieve the 0-60 times that could challenge 1.2 to 4 million dollar and up cars.

For day to day driving, I think that much acceleration is nuts. However, it is an outstanding sales tool showing off just what an electric car is capable of.

It's going to be some time before Teslas are competing with ICE in NASCAR or Formula One racing. EVs are not well suited to that sort of racing until energy storage gets much more concentrated than we can do today. However, in short sprint performance, the core technology of electric motors implemented right is superior to anything you can do with an ICE. Most of the high end sports car makers are focusing on electric drive today because of Tesla. It's rather embarrassing for the maker of a $500K supercar to be beaten by an SUV costing 1/3 the price.

I agree than the Model 3 will likely be the highest performance car available in the $50K price range, but with a smaller battery, it's not going to be capable of outperforming a P100DL. I think it will likely squeeze many of the muscle and relatively affordable sports cars out of the market. Why buy a V-8 Mustang for $40-$45K when you can have a Performance Model 3 for the same ballpark price? There will be enthusiasts for certain cars that hang on to the bitter end, but people who want the highest performance car they can afford will go with the Model 3 (or an S if they have the money).

Even if the best Model 3 performance is in the range of the standard S 90D (4s 0-60), it will be plenty for all but the most power hungry. Accelerating with only about 1/3 throttle is enough to shock people. I hit 101 mph on the freeway by accident one day last summer. I thought I was up to around 80 when I looked down.

Reactions: arnis
The top electric finisher in the 2016 Pike's Peak Hill Climb — the e0 PP100 — is a carbon-fiber custom-built race car weighing just 1200 kg. Its motors produce 1600 horsepower and 1860 ft-lb of torque. It will do 0 - 60 mph in 2 seconds. The idea that a stock sedan could possibly produce the same acceleration is completely absurd.

This points out that the theoretical best time for a street legal car is 2.0s 0-60. The Model 3 will be quick, but I think Model S will always be the quickest car in the Tesla family until the next gen Roadster is introduced.
Why does everyone keep saying this? I think that the profit margin on a 3PDL will be higher than an SPDL (due to tooling being amortized over more cars, cheaper pack from the gigafactory, cheaper to manufacture, and cheaper materials like more steel). In which case it's in Tesla's best interest to cannibalize S/X PDL sales in favor of 3PDL sales. I don't think Elon cares about which of his cars is the fastest as long as one of them is.

I don't think the Model 3 will ever have a battery large enough to challenge the acceleration of the Model S P cars. Whatever they can do to improve performance of the M3, can be done to the MS and it sounds like the top end MS will always have a larger battery than possible on the M3.
Ah, but you're extrapolating the current platform forward. Yes, the current pack is topped out. But they are moving to new cells and they could increase pack voltage to get the same amount of power as the P100DL with a smaller pack. Also the 3 should weigh less which means it needs less power to achieve the same acceleration (traction being equal).

Why does everyone keep saying this? I think that the profit margin on a 3PDL will be higher than an SPDL (due to tooling being amortized over more cars, cheaper pack from the gigafactory, cheaper to manufacture, and cheaper materials like more steel). In which case it's in Tesla's best interest to cannibalize S/X PDL sales in favor of 3PDL sales. I don't think Elon cares about which of his cars is the fastest as long as one of them is.

Even if you're right about the margin (which would have to be in total dollar rather than in percentage - Tesla is better off making a 20% margin on a $100k car than a 25% margin on a $50k car) - I don't really think gross margin is the right question right now. Opportunity cost is.

If Tesla doesn't sell a 3P80DL this fall, they'll sell another 3 from the waiting list in this fall. If they don't sell a SP100DL, there may or may not be another S customer waiting to fill that spot the production line.

It seems really unlikely to me that Tesla would make more money from selling the 3P80DL than they would from selling the SP100DL *and* a typical 3.

I'm not 100% sure if Tesla will hold back the 3 to be slower than the S if they had to - but I'm pretty confident that the S will be faster than the 3 natively.

Last edited:
We'll see. I expect the 3PDL to be in the same $150k range as the SPDL. If it's as fast as I hope it will justify the price (as it will be way quicker than cars costing 3X as much). So I think it will be more profitable in absolute dollar terms.

Tesla has talked about how difficult it is to manufacture the S and X. If they can make more money from the 3PDL then why not do it?

People seem to assume that Tesla will act like a car company with having certain classes and making sure this model doesn't step on that model or whatever. I don't think Elon thinks that way. He wants to sell as many cars as possible, period. The way to do that is to have the widest possible range of price/performance on all platforms while keeping costs in check.

We're all just speculating...

I would be happy with a Model 3 Performance Ludicrous mode with around a 0-60 second time in the high 2 to low-3 second range. That would be more than good enough for me. I feel I have plenty of power even in my regular S90D with its 4.2 0-60. 2.0 flat 0-60 might be too ludicrous for me. I can't wait for the final Model 3 reveal.

I think that a 2 second 0-60 time would require the AP3 option.

This would prevent the car from crashing after the high g force (jerk) caused the driver to black out.

What driver? We will be obsolete then.

The rumors are the BEST part of this forum! Now....I cannot reveal my source...but "in the works" is a 0-60 pace that gets you to 60 BEFORE YOU LEFT THE START POINT! (obviously requires the 1 foot "rolling start")

Ah, but you're extrapolating the current platform forward. Yes, the current pack is topped out. But they are moving to new cells and they could increase pack voltage to get the same amount of power as the P100DL with a smaller pack. Also the 3 should weigh less which means it needs less power to achieve the same acceleration (traction being equal).

It isn't a matter of sales tactics, it's more about Physics. How fast you can launch depends on a number of factors including managing the heat generated and the quality of the tires, but the key limiting factors are the peak power output from the battery and the weight of the vehicle. The Model 3 is lighter than the Model S, but it won't be dramatically so, the Model 3 is going to be a heavy car for its size. Whatever Tesla chooses to do for pack voltage and current, the total power output is controlled by adding up the power output from each cell. There are limits to how much peak power a battery cell can deliver. We know for sure the Model 3's largest pack will have a smaller pack than the Model S performance model, Elon has said so in Tweets.

Because the peak power delivery of the Model 3 pack will be less than the Model S and the power/weight ratio will likely be lower for the Model 3, it just won't be possible for the Model 3 to outperform the Model S, even if Tesla wants it to. The next gen Roadster will probably have a smaller pack than the S too, but it will also be as light as Tesla can make it, thus improving the power/weight ratio and possibly improve launch performance over the S.

This is the Trevor clip from Model3ownersclub. At 4:40 he talks about the 2.0 0-60.
No, he does not saying that. Listen again. He says "two seconds", not "two seconds flat" or "two point 0" or anything like that.

As I understand it a 2 seconds car is anywhere between 2.0 - 2.99999 seconds 0-60 (with roll-out?)
And yes, I got it to be 2 seconds flat first time I listened to this video, so I do understand the misunderstanding :)

And since Elon has confirmed that it will get "Ludicrous mode" I'm not surprised that it will get less then 3.0 seconds 0-60 mph.

Reactions: Topher and JeffK