Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all

im new so i did search this topic but found no thread - hope im not duplicating as seems a key question.

I am torn as to which model to buy.... this meant i am looking at specs on all three and one question i had was on the M3;

is the car capable and expected to get a ludicrous mode software update?
i saw a tweet where someone asked and elon replied saying 'of course'?

any news or timescales at all? i am guessing it would take the M3 sub 3 seconds
thanks

hi all

im new so i did search this topic but found no thread - hope im not duplicating as seems a key question.

I am torn as to which model to buy.... this meant i am looking at specs on all three and one question i had was on the M3;

thanks

If I recall from the previous thread on this about a month ago or so here on TMC, the tweet from elon was from over a year before the model 3 even was released to the public (so 2016 sometime). No one knows if the car is "capable" of getting this upgrade at this point. Lots of speculation on head room in the battery.

I dont think many are "expecting" this upgrade for the model 3. If having ludicrous mode is part of your purchasing decision, then you should exclude the model 3, as "it might" happen, but there is zero timeline, and not even a consensus that its possible on this car, with this battery... with the only reference to it being a tweet from 2016 which was over a year before the car came out.

It would be great if the Plaid S encouraged owners to hit a road course from time to time. As it stands today we very rarely see an S on a track with corners.

OP- even if they gave the 3 ludicrous, they won't let it be faster in a straight line than the S. If your goal is to rule the drag strip, get an S. If you want to be fast around a track, get a 3, even without ludicrous.

• Informative
Reactions: 67King and poolmeds
hi all

thanks

I literally pasted "ludicrous" in the search box up top and got multiple pages of every relevant result on this topic. New or not, you should learn how to search the forums.

Besides that tweet and another about the possibility of future OTA performance updates, there is no definitive or official statement on whether a Ludicrous Mode will ever happen. Lot's of speculation on the possibility and the capability of the existing model 3 cars (in particular the DM variants) though.

With that said, the upcoming free 5% power boost could possibly put the P3 below 3 seconds to 60 anyway. If you really need faster than 2.9 seconds then you probably should be looking at a Model S.

hi all

thanks
I have heard nothing about a Model 3 ludicrous mode. I suspect the M3 Performance is as good as it's gonna get. If you want to get into 2-second 0-60 sprint times, you should be looking at the Model S or Model X. The S is the fastest Tesla at this time. There are lots of used Ss out there that can hit 60 in under three seconds, P90DL, P100DL, or the newest iteration, the Performance. New, only the Performance version is available. Very slightly slower will be the Model X with corresponding badges. But the X has the coolest doors of all. Go to a gathering of car freaks and the S will be ignored. But in an X with the gull wing doors up, you'll attract attention.

Reactions: poolmeds
hi all

thanks
As others have said, this question does come up fairly often.

Here's the TL;DR version:

Elon Tweeted that it's a future possibility for the Model 3, but that Tweet was a long time ago. Tesla has no current announcement regarding it becoming an available feature at this time. That being the case, anyone saying "yes, it'll happen" or "no, it won't happen" are simply giving their opinions. No one will know until Tesla either announces it or they don't. Get what I'm saying? ;)

And since you asked for my opinion ;) here it is... Once the Plaid power train enters production for the Model S, Tesla might release Ludicrous for the Model 3, but they won't until the Plaid power train is available. You can't have the pony outrun the horse, ya know?

When you say you are looking at all three models are you comparing the S, 3 and X? These vehicles are from totally different segments. So first, do you want a full sized luxury sedan, an SUV or a nimble. Small sedan?
Hi!

I know it’s strange considering all but I want performance (my personal like) and would like space...so S and X are my faves but as you know they are both a huge step up in price so I may hav choice made for me on budget in which case I’m looking at 3 specs more in case