Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Made in Shanghai with LFP battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla Model 3 owners,

I'm collecting my Model 3 LR AWS beginning of March and it seems it will be based on the new LFP batteries. In the UK there are not many LFP cars so nobody can actually share some insights on the rumours about charging speed and battery calibration.

I was wondering if you have any feedback on
- How are LFP batteries behaving in day to day usage
- Can you charge LFP batteries at 150-200kwh at super chargers for quick top-ups (with preheating) Or they charge - as some users reports - at only 70-80kwh?
- Are there any issues with reported range/battery calibration?

Secondly - it seems that everyone is reporting LFP batteries are only on SR+ variant. I've ordered the LR AWD and a Tesla rep told me it's using the LFP batteries, as it's assembled in China. Can anyone confirm if LFP batteries are also used in LR variant?

Thank you

Reactions: Llama.
I 2nd.the LR. For me, I decided on the M3LR. Because at 59, it’s most likely the last low sitting spots car I’ll own.
Next one will be a Y. Absolutely no regrets with purchase. Little over 3 months and 2500 miles.
0A223E8B-58A4-4D0B-B392-4125E868FDB2.png

Hi Tesla Model 3 owners,

I've ordered the LR AWD and a Tesla rep told me it's using the LFP batteries, as it's assembled in China. Can anyone confirm if LFP batteries are also used in LR variant?

Thank you
Hi md337, I have also been told that in France by all four Tesla employees that I spoke to. I bought the LR on that promise but now I have the car, I think it’s all a lie (I just started another thread on the same subject). I also don’t know if I’m supposed to believe them and keep charging it. I also wonder if the battery has been restricted (mine can only charge to 541 km) and that way, what you think is 100% is only really 90%

Hi! I provided some details of my findings in a PM - mainly that LFP batteries are installed only on SR models, and not on LR.
Regarding charge range - that looks correct. The number you see advertised with the car (like 580km or something) the value in a testing called Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), while in real life it could be more or it could be less. The number on the dashboard (541km in your case) is based on an average mixed more realistic that than the ideal testing conditions of WLTP. You will see that sometimes you'll have longer range, sometimes shorter range - typically the faster you go or colder it is, the range will be shorter - like with any car. Think of BMW saying you burn 5L per 100km (and they can prove that in ideal conditions it's true), but in real life you burn 5.5 or 6.. It's the same thing

Reactions: Bouba