Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (Maintenance Plan & Costs) HELP!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please show that in writing. For the record I have been doing my own maintenance on my Roadster, which requires a lot more than the Model 3, for the past 4 years since the Ranger service has been discontinued. And there have been no issues with Tesla.
Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 7.26.45 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: ls7corvete
Yes but not the 3. And all of the above can be done with standard tools. While there is no problem with Tesla service, with me being 200 miles from a service center is is much easier for me to do it myself.

You can't replace the battery coolant with standard tools. You have to have the Tesla toolbox software to set the valves and pumps correctly to purge the air from the system after draining refilling it. (And I don't know if replacing the AC desiccant bag requires any special tools/software access.)

And here is some information from the Model 3 manual on the coolant:

Fluid Level Check

DO NOT REMOVE THE FILLER CAP AND DO NOT ADD FLUID. Doing so can result in damage not covered by the warranty.

Do Not Top Up Battery Coolant

Warning:
Battery coolant can be hazardous and can irritate eyes and skin. Under no circumstances should you remove the filler cap and/or add coolant. If the touchscreen warns you that the fluid level is low, contact Tesla immediately.

So service it yourself at the risk of voiding the battery warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
You can't replace the battery coolant with standard tools. You have to have the Tesla toolbox software to set the valves and pumps correctly to purge the air from the system after draining refilling it. (And I don't know if replacing the AC desiccant bag requires any special tools/software access.)
I take it you do not do much maintenance. There are ways, for the battery coolant one can disconnect the line coming into the reservoir and drain into a bucket while you add new in. It takes a little while but again much faster than a 4 drive to the service center. Tesla service has been great but the centers are often a long way away.

I take it you do not do much maintenance. There are ways, for the battery coolant one can disconnect the line coming into the reservoir and drain into a bucket while you add new in.

I understand that you could do that, but you could also introduce air into the system doing that. You will notice that the manual says to not even take the coolant filler cap off... And you think they are going to be OK with you disconnecting the cooling lines? :rolleyes:

And it is likely that Tesla has sensors in place to log that the coolant system has had a "leak". (After all they have sensing in place that detects the, very minor, additional draw of an added dashcam that causes the system to enter a failure state and shutdown. They are monitoring everything, remotely, very closely as part of their cost cutting and reduced service overhead initiatives.)

Reactions: Jaywlker and Dana1
The heating/cooling circuit is not used to heat/cool the cabin in a Tesla. (Yes they patented it, but they didn't actually do it.)

But the "single" coolant loop in a Tesla has multiple pumps/valves and can be broken down into smaller circuits. (For example to heat the battery while cooling the motor/inverter.)
Thanks! Interesting architecture differences between the 2 EVs (Bolt/Mode 3). Bottomline, seems that fluids are the big ticket scheduled maintenance items on the Model 3 and also the Bolt. Only diff between S/X/3 is that Drive Unit Fluid Service...guess the new Drive Units on the Model 3 took that maint requirement out.

And none of that is "required". Exact wording on that page "Tesla recommends an annual service inspection for Model S and Model X every year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first, to maintain your vehicle to top performance standards." Highlighted on my part for emphasis.

You stated this is required, which is not true.
I wouldn't count on that. The Model S requires $600 of maintenance a year/12.5k miles.
I'd also like to do all my own maintenance. We'll see if that's possible.

And none of that is "required". Exact wording on that page "Tesla recommends an annual service inspection for Model S and Model X every year or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first, to maintain your vehicle to top performance standards." Highlighted on my part for emphasis.

You stated this is required, which is not true.
Interesting. I thought I recalled it being required to maintain warranty coverage but that is not the case. That's what I remember from my friends early Model S. Anyway, it looks like the Model 3 will have much cheaper recommended service than the Model S.

There has been discussion with regard to the latest ESA verbiage for S/X. Something about annual servicings being required to maintain ESA coverage.

At one time the ESA verbiage also stipulated $200/issue rather than $200/visit. That was since changed. I don’t know if the annual service requirement associated with the ESA was.

The ESA aside, it is accurate to say that annual servicings are not required. However, given at least the more important tasks at the end of years 2 and 4, and given the raft of service bulletins that apply to various configurations, it’s not a bad idea to drop by an SvC every so often.

I’ve visited more SvCs while traveling than I have locally. Although I’ve visited the local ones more frequently.

I bought the cars despite not having a way to charge at home due to the one (at the time) SC within a few miles of the office. There is no way I would have kept the first car or bought the second one without being in proximity to local SvCs. I tip my hat to those owners who are farther afield.

Maintenance- and repair-free, these cars are not. I consider the ESA an absolute must now, given the cost of replacing things like axles, MCUs, pano assemblies, door handles, headlights, half shafts, other wear items associated with the suspension and so forth. It does add up.

On the other hand, if you don’t drive much, then more power to you. Your mileage, as they say, will vary,

Interesting there’s no ESA for the Model 3. Would be surprised if one is not offered - in time.

Interesting. I thought I recalled it being required to maintain warranty coverage but that is not the case. That's what I remember from my friends early Model S. Anyway, it looks like the Model 3 will have much cheaper recommended service than the Model S.

Tesla required annual service at the very beginning of selling Model S, but that was changed way back in 2013 (before the very first car was due for it's first annual service). Since then there has been no required maintenance.

Does anyone know why Tesla requires periodic changes of the A/C desiccant? I have never had to do this with any car I have owned. When a system is new or has been opened for service, it is placed under vacuum for a period of time to remove moisture before the refrigerant is introduced. This removes most but not all moisture so a desiccant canister is in the refrigerant circuit to remove the last remaining trace of moisture. Once that moisture is removed, I assume there is no path for additional moisture to enter the system. Refrigerators and home air conditioners can run twenty years without changing the desiccant and I have kept cars six years with no A/C service.

Reactions: Futuresystem
And it is likely that Tesla has sensors in place to log that the coolant system has had a "leak". (After all they have sensing in place that detects the, very minor, additional draw of an added dashcam that causes the system to enter a failure state and shutdown. They are monitoring everything, remotely, very closely as part of their cost cutting and reduced service overhead initiatives.)

Considering that folks who have hooked up always on dash cams are already getting 12V battery "failures" (i.e. warnings that they need to take their 12V battery in for service), I would not be surprised at all if it turns out they monitor absolutely everything. I mean, the dang car warns you when you close the console lid too hard!

• Funny
Reactions: Catman20009