Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (Maintenance Plan & Costs) HELP!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post an image of the maintenance schedule you were given?

Here you are. Sorry for the poor quality. 15242713548781867237103.jpg

Exactly? Including the keyfob battery replacement?

Ha! That what it says! Seems like a lot of $ every year for what they are doing.

I'd like an explanation for why battery coolant needs to be replaced more often than ICE coolant and why drive unit fluid needs to be changed more often than ICE transmission fluid. I had hoped Tesla would fix this for the Model 3. I'm not sure how they can claim that EVs are lower maintenance...

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk
I'd like an explanation for why battery coolant needs to be replaced more often than ICE coolant and why drive unit fluid needs to be changed more often than ICE transmission fluid. I had hoped Tesla would fix this for the Model 3. I'm not sure how they can claim that EVs are lower maintenance...
And brake fluid. With the amount of regen that is capable (and I assume most people will put it on the highest setting), you should not need to use your brakes nearly as much as an ICE. It seems like your pads would barely be used after a year or two. The fluid shouldn't need replacing if the brakes aren't being used much, right?

Here is one fellow that did his own drive unit fluid change. The first one appears to be for the break in as he found quite a lot of metal. Did drive unit fluid change today

The fluid shouldn't need replacing if the brakes aren't being used much, right?
For normal road use, frequency of brake application doesn't have much to do with brake fluid life. I have personally observed that changing fluid every two years as required by BMW/Mini improves brake feel significantly for my street-driven vehicle. This is important for emergency situations and for descending long mountain grades. More information here:
https://www.cars.com/articles/how-often-do-i-need-to-change-my-brake-fluid-1420680336417/

Reactions: MP3Mike
Don't know if this has already been stated somewhere but....

When I picked up my 3 on Monday a maintenance schedule and cost was given to me at the same time. They are following the Model S rwd plan and costs exactly.
That’s strange. There is no such maintenance schedule in the Model 3 owners manual— only tire rotations every 6250 miles (where did they come up with such an odd number?), brake service every 2 years/25,000 miles, and battery coolant every 4 years/50,000 miles. No mention of annual service in the Model 3 owners manual, which surprised me as I was used to doing one with my S. Could this be something the San Antonio service center put together on its own?

Didn't it take close to a year for them to sort out the X maintenance schedule?

I currently have 6500 miles on my car, so halfway to the traditional "S" first maintenance visit. Guess I will come up on that around July (maybe June due to a road trip next month). I guess I will see what Tesla does at that point if they haven't sorted out the official recommendations.

I am also waiting for the extended warranty info, but we have lots of time for that