Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (Maintenance Plan & Costs) HELP!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under the hood like a normal car. (Yeah it is under another cover you have to remove.)
image.jpg
I am surprised no one mentioned to check the battery cables for corrosion at some point.
Seems easy to change the brake fluid if u do not want to bleed the brake lines. Are there ac air filters?

By the way thank you. I noticed my frunk mat was not secure due to poor adhesive glue.

Someone once gave me a tip on how to maintain the brake fluid without bleeding brakes. He would basically take a turkey baster to suck out only the brake fluid out of the reservoir and fill up with fresh fluid. The clean fluid will mix with the rest of the fluid in the system. He does this before the required maintenance schedule and regularly. As a result, there is always fresh clean fluid because the stuff circulates. And thus, no need to bleed the brakes or flush out the brake fluid in its entirety. I don't have my M3 yet. But it seems this would work with the M3 as well?

Someone once gave me a tip on how to maintain the brake fluid without bleeding brakes. He would basically take a turkey baster to suck out only the brake fluid out of the reservoir and fill up with fresh fluid. The clean fluid will mix with the rest of the fluid in the system. He does this before the required maintenance schedule and regularly. As a result, there is always fresh clean fluid because the stuff circulates. And thus, no need to bleed the brakes or flush out the brake fluid in its entirety. I don't have my M3 yet. But it seems this would work with the M3 as well?
That's a terrible method. The fluid doesn't circulate. It's a single line going to each caliper so the fluid that's near the caliper is never going to be changed.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It is very sensitive to moisture and the introduction of moisture into braking systems (present in air) contributes to any number of issues, including brake failure. Moisture, e.g. water, compresses differently than brake fluid and can contribute to corrosion of components. This is why manufacturers recommend not opening reservoirs. Fluid is sometimes changed/ cleaned using closed loop systems.

I’ve had classic cars I’ve done the brakes on, and have known about the turkey blaster (though never did it, always elected to bleed the drum brake system) but you’re mixing new and old fluid...throwing off the fluid’s characteristics though less likely to introduce air. If brands are mixed that’s a bit of a bigger risk too, imo.

After the cost of materials, disposal, and thinking about my time and the cost of my new car, I’ve usually found the cost of having the brakes professionally serviced pretty minimal but everyone will have a different cost/benefit analysis.

The annual maintenance isn't required to keep the warranty.

Hello Obenjamin -

That is all I really care about. I just want to ensure that warranty is not void. Any proof to the pudding with that comments?
When I pick up my M3, I ask the delivery guy when should I bring the car in for services? The responses was you don't have to and only if want to or feel like you need servicing. He did mention warranty will be honor even if you don't do maintenance.

Lots of opinions in the thread. Just curious what is the norm in generally how everyone is handling this.

It'll be interesting to see whether Tesla does the Annual Money Grab approach with Model 3 as with S/X ('required' annual maintenance, where nothing of value actually gets done). I've driven a Nissan LEAF for 6.25 years and it has required zero trips to the dealer other than to swap out the Gen1 battery pack under warranty. Zero. It has been impossible to spend money maintaining the Nissan LEAF. I'd expect similar with Model 3 (but I do expect warranty repairs with Model 3, based on S/X track record). Hopefully Tesla doesn't decide to demand $300-600/yr from me in order to keep the warranty in effect.

I have a model S and Tesla doesn’t require that you do the annual maintenance to keep your warranty. I’m pretty sure that’s the law actually.

In fact my dealer was very upfront about saying that the main concern was rotating tires and then the car would tell me when it needed maintenance.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Hello Obenjamin -

That is all I really care about. I just want to ensure that warranty is not void. Any proof to the pudding with that comments?
When I pick up my M3, I ask the delivery guy when should I bring the car in for services? The responses was you don't have to and only if want to or feel like you need servicing. He did mention warranty will be honor even if you don't do maintenance.

Lots of opinions in the thread. Just curious what is the norm in generally how everyone is handling this.
10 sec Google search here: Vehicle Warranty | Model 3

Highlight area: If I choose not to service my Model 3, will this void my warranty? We highly recommend that you service your vehicle as listed in the Model 3 Owner's Manual, which is available in your Tesla Account and on your touchscreen. If you do not follow Tesla’s Model 3 Service recommendations, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected unless you receive a service alert and do not promptly contact Tesla to schedule service and that results in greater harm to the vehicle.

Reactions: SP_H
10 sec Google search here: Vehicle Warranty | Model 3

Highlight area: If I choose not to service my Model 3, will this void my warranty? We highly recommend that you service your vehicle as listed in the Model 3 Owner's Manual, which is available in your Tesla Account and on your touchscreen. If you do not follow Tesla’s Model 3 Service recommendations, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected unless you receive a service alert and do not promptly contact Tesla to schedule service and that results in greater harm to the vehicle.

Got it - so drive until the service alert comes on.

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk
A bit off topic, but interesting... Tesla implements series of new initiatives to improve its service as its fleet grows rapidly

Now Tesla has confirmed in a statement to Electrek that they opened a new parts distribution center in California, which has tripled the automaker’s fulfillment capacity for parts in North America, and they plan to open a similar facility in Europe. A Tesla spokesperson explained the automaker’s latest programs to improve service in a statement today:

“Our global customer satisfaction scores for service are above 90% and at a high of 97% for our mobile service program, which lets us service vehicles in customers’ driveways or at their offices. Even in North America where our customer-base has grown by 75% over the last year, customer satisfaction for service has remained consistently above 90%. Tesla has also topped Consumer Reports’ customer satisfaction survey two years in a row, with 90% of Tesla owners saying they would buy the same car again – more than any other brand. While we’re incredibly proud of the customer support and service we offer, we’re always working to improve. Here are some of the programs underway to make sure all Tesla customers have an even more exceptional experience:
  • Last quarter, we opened a new parts distribution center in California, which has tripled our fulfillment capacity for parts in North America and is helping to expedite the supply of parts to third party body shops. We’re in the process of opening a similar fulfillment center in Europe, which we expect to have the same impact.
  • For the first time, we’re trialing a small network of our own body repair shops in select markets to accommodate light repairs, with the opportunity to expand the program based on customer feedback and results.
  • Given the overwhelming success of our mobile service program, we are expanding the program from 25% coverage globally to 40% coverage globally by the end of the year.
  • While our call volumes have increased dramatically due to the overwhelming excitement around Model 3, this hasn’t impacted our ability to respond to emergency roadside events. We have plans in place to hire additional staff to support customers in the event that they are unable to find their answers on Tesla.com/Support or in their Tesla account.
  • We are aggressively hiring and expanding in markets where our customer satisfaction scores for service are below average. In Norway, for instance, we have already grown our service team by 30% compared to last year, and we’re in the process of opening a large new service center in Oslo this year. Recent feedback from customers in Norway indicates that the improvements have already made a difference.”

Hey guys, I've just scheduled my service follow the MS and MX maintenance plan and one of the staff emailed me back to ask me to cancel the appt cuz they have different plan for model 3 and finally thanks God they sent me the plan. Please see the attached file.

Interesting. Any mention of costs for M3 annual servicings and for the ESA? Not sure how thrilled I’d be to own one of these cars (or most new cars, for that matter) out of warranty as the miles accrue.

Hey guys, I've just scheduled my service follow the MS and MX maintenance plan and one of the staff emailed me back to ask me to cancel the appt cuz they have different plan for model 3 and finally thanks God they sent me the plan. Please see the attached file.
Very helpful thanks.
There is very little on that list that I'm interested in obtaining for my Model 3. The first few line items is all, down through replacing the coolant every 50k miles. Pricing for this stuff will be interesting, and a determinant in how well I maintain my 3.

Why does Tesla coolant only lasts 50k miles while ICE vehicles have coolant that lasts 110k miles? Intuitively it seems like it should last longer since it's not exposed to high temperatures but maybe it's the opposite...
If I had to guess, it’s the amount of channels in the battery, the thickness of the channel walls, and the lack of long term data.

Corrosion of a cooling tube in the battery would cause a pretty major problem. Not as thick as a metal motor block.

And this is a total guess.

If I had to guess, it’s the amount of channels in the battery, the thickness of the channel walls, and the lack of long term data.

Corrosion of a cooling tube in the battery would cause a pretty major problem. Not as thick as a metal motor block.

And this is a total guess.
Could be but radiators have very narrow channels too. Of course radiators only seem to last 120k miles before they start leaking from the plastic endcaps so I guess I wouldn't notice if they were getting clogged. The Chevrolet Bolt doesn't require a coolant change until 150k miles.
Hopefully by the time I need to change the coolant they'll have validated it to last longer. At least it's better than the maintenance schedule of the Model S.

FWIW, I’m considering getting a 3 and I inquired with my local Tesla store as to the cost of these services and they said:

Brake Fluid (2 years/25k): $425
Battery Coolant (4 years/50k): $675

Does this look right?

Also can you buy cabin filters and wiper blades for this car in the aftermarket or from Tesla to install them yourself? Can tires be rotated by a normal local shop like Discount Tire/America’s tire? Or does that require a visit to Tesla also?