Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (Maintenance Plan & Costs) HELP!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, no info on a maintenance plan or an extended warranty (which I am more interested in).

It took a while for that info to be released after the X came out, so I would expect a wait for the 3 info as well.

It'll be interesting to see whether Tesla does the Annual Money Grab approach with Model 3 as with S/X ('required' annual maintenance, where nothing of value actually gets done). I've driven a Nissan LEAF for 6.25 years and it has required zero trips to the dealer other than to swap out the Gen1 battery pack under warranty. Zero. It has been impossible to spend money maintaining the Nissan LEAF. I'd expect similar with Model 3 (but I do expect warranty repairs with Model 3, based on S/X track record). Hopefully Tesla doesn't decide to demand $300-600/yr from me in order to keep the warranty in effect.

From the Model 3 manual....seems like the only "big ticket" items are brake fluid and battery coolant....but those don't need to be replace for a while:

Studio_20180326_191614.jpg

This does seem a lot better than the Model S. I would be tempted to do the brake fluid myself. I would probably have Tesla do the battery coolant because any battery failure could be blamed on not having them do it.
It's interesting that they don't list an interval for changing the gearbox oil. I would think that would need to be changed at some point.

This does seem a lot better than the Model S. I would be tempted to do the brake fluid myself. I would probably have Tesla do the battery coolant because any battery failure could be blamed on not having them do it.
It's interesting that they don't list an interval for changing the gearbox oil. I would think that would need to be changed at some point.

I assumed there would be an ‘initial’ differential fluid change as well as on the S. Most conventional differentials with factory filled fully synthetic gear lube are ‘lifetime’ fills under normal conditions. The 3 however has a diff fluid pump and an external filter element. Possibly not ‘lifetime’ but certainly greatly extended.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and MP3Mike
I estimate the brake fluid change to be $100-140, and the coolant change $200-$300. All the other services can be done by a knowledgeable owner or a competent tire shop.

Tesla's shop rate around here is $175/hour. So I would guess a bit higher on those cost guesstimates.

It is interesting that they warn against anyone else servicing the brakes except Tesla multiple times in the manual. That is different than the S manual, which just references a more generic certified technician requirement.

I assumed there would be an ‘initial’ differential fluid change as well as on the S. Most conventional differentials with factory filled fully synthetic gear lube are ‘lifetime’ fills under normal conditions. The 3 however has a diff fluid pump and an external filter element. Possibly not ‘lifetime’ but certainly greatly extended.
Yeah I've never seen a differential with a filter. It's nice to see that they're taking the lower maintenance claim more seriously for the Model 3. I've seen that there are now test strips you can dip in your brake fluid to see if it needs be changed. It's nice to minimize the waste of toxic chemicals. It's strange that the battery coolant needs to be changed at 50k miles. Coolant change intervals for ICE vehicles are now 100k miles and they're exposed to much more extreme termperatures.

The maintenance should be minimal and as all my other cars I plan to do what is needed by myself.
A significant portion of the work on a Tesla can only be done with the use of the Tesla Toolbox, which only Tesla and authorized body shops have access to. You'll be able to do some stuff yourself, but for a lot of it you have no choice but to take it to Tesla.

Brake fluid every 25K....gimme a break
Right?!? For comparison...the Bolt schedule says "replace brake fluid ever 5 years". The Bolt schedule also states to drain and fill vehicle coolant circuits every 5 years or 150k miles. The Bolt has 3 coolant circuits: High Voltage battery;
Single Power Inverter Module (SPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Charger Module; and cabin heating. So for the Bolt....the big ticket service item is the drain/flush the coolant every 5 years.

Suprised that the Model 3 schedule only says to service the Battery Coolant.....wonder if it only has one coolant circuit.

Reactions: Pkmmte
A significant portion of the work on a Tesla can only be done with the use of the Tesla Toolbox, which only Tesla and authorized body shops have access to. You'll be able to do some stuff yourself, but for a lot of it you have no choice but to take it to Tesla.
Please educate me as to what normal maintenance I could not do myself?

PS I also have a Tesla Roadster and have been performing my own maintenance, which is a lot more, for the last 4 years since they stopped the Ranger program.

I wouldn't count on that. The Model S requires $600 of maintenance a year/12.5k miles.
I'd also like to do all my own maintenance. We'll see if that's possible.
Please show that in writing. For the record I have been doing my own maintenance on my Roadster, which requires a lot more than the Model 3, for the past 4 years since the Ranger service has been discontinued. And there have been no issues with Tesla.

Right?!? For comparison...the Bolt schedule says "replace brake fluid ever 5 years". The Bolt schedule also states to drain and fill vehicle coolant circuits every 5 years or 150k miles. The Bolt has 3 coolant circuits: High Voltage battery;
Single Power Inverter Module (SPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Charger Module; and cabin heating. So for the Bolt....the big ticket service item is the drain/flush the coolant every 5 years.

Suprised that the Model 3 schedule only says to service the Battery Coolant.....wonder if it only has one coolant circuit.
That is one of the patents Tesla has. Coolant is one circuit. It is used to heat or cool as necessary the battery, cabin,and drive. The only visit my S had was a 4 year 60,000 mile check. That is what I will do with the 3 as well. I will do my own brake fluid, if it needs it. The Teslas use the friction brakes much less than an ICE car. The S has 73,000 miles on it and still have better than 50% of the pads left.

John

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
That is one of the patents Tesla has. Coolant is one circuit. It is used to heat or cool as necessary the battery, cabin,and drive.

The heating/cooling circuit is not used to heat/cool the cabin in a Tesla. (Yes they patented it, but they didn't actually do it.)

But the "single" coolant loop in a Tesla has multiple pumps/valves and can be broken down into smaller circuits. (For example to heat the battery while cooling the motor/inverter.)

• Informative
Reactions: DR61