Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 -Maintenance schedule?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says tire rotation (every 6250 miles recommended) are included in the maintenance service. Does this mean under warranty?

A good question, but I would say it's not, as usually tire rotations aren't a part of covered maintenance or warranty.
For any car manufacturer, tires, rotors, brake pads come under 'consumables' , hence they are part of regular 'paid' maintenance just like changing fluids or engine oil.

A good question, but I would say it's not, as usually tire rotations aren't a part of covered maintenance or warranty.
For any car manufacturer, tires, rotors, brake pads come under 'consumables' , hence they are part of regular 'paid' maintenance just like changing fluids or engine oil.

i'd agree with ICE cars but still curious how its worded on Tesla site and maybe just with extended maintenance service plan included?

Interesting the the Model X only requires coolant replacement every 100k miles but the Model 3 is 50k miles. I guess the "refresh" Model S is 100k miles? I wonder if they'll update the Model 3 to 100k miles after more testing. I think all ICE vehicles have 100k+ coolant life these days.

It says tire rotation (every 6250 miles recommended) are included in the maintenance service. Does this mean under warranty?
No. The very next line starts with "Tire rotations performed in between maintenance service inspections are charged separately..." which means that the line you quoted is saying that a tire rotation is included when you bring your car in for service, you may not be specifically billed for it, but it's not free. And, if you come in for just a rotation, they'll charge you for it.

My assumption is that the tire rotations performed at the Tesla Service Center are no different than the Tire rotations performed at any other tire mechanic shop.

Is this assumption correct?
It's exactly the same. I contacted Tesla for a tire rotation and they said it would be $75 plus tax and then suggested I did it elsewhere. I went to a place and got it done for $25. Around the Bay Area most places are familiar with Teslas so they knew which jack points to use.

I find the scheduled kind of strange. Why is there such a big difference with the battery coolant between the X and the S/3? Also does anyone know what kind of temperatures the coolant is subjected to? Is it higher than than on an ICE vehicle? My hunch is that it would be less but I have nothing to back that up.

Secondly if the brakes are not being used as much as an ICE car why do I have to replace the fluid at a pretty high rate compared to the regular suggested interval on ICE. https://www.cars.com/articles/how-often-do-i-need-to-change-my-brake-fluid-1420680336417/ FYI I've never replaced my brake fluid before and I average around 25 - 30k a year on my vehicles, many that have reached into the 200k range. Only time fluid has been replaced is when doing a caliper or new brake line. But not a full replacement.

So my question is how much is the maintenance service for the 3 when you do go?
From my conversations with the SC, it doesn't look like Tesla will be offering a prepaid option. Model 3 owners will need to pay for services piecemeal. The only maintenance I'll have the SC do are Battery coolant replacement (every 4 years or 50k miles), A/C desiccant bag replacement and Brake fluid replacement (every 2 years or 25k miles).

I find the scheduled kind of strange. Why is there such a big difference with the battery coolant between the X and the S/3? Also does anyone know what kind of temperatures the coolant is subjected to? Is it higher than than on an ICE vehicle? My hunch is that it would be less but I have nothing to back that up.

Secondly if the brakes are not being used as much as an ICE car why do I have to replace the fluid at a pretty high rate compared to the regular suggested interval on ICE. https://www.cars.com/articles/how-often-do-i-need-to-change-my-brake-fluid-1420680336417/ FYI I've never replaced my brake fluid before and I average around 25 - 30k a year on my vehicles, many that have reached into the 200k range. Only time fluid has been replaced is when doing a caliper or new brake line. But not a full replacement.
I would have thought the coolant maintenance would be the same for S and X since they use the same battery cells.

I would have thought the coolant maintenance would be the same for S and X since they use the same battery cells.

Right, I find that it seems to be all over the place with recommendations on this kind of stuff. see https://www.cars.com/articles/how-often-should-i-change-engine-coolant-1420680853669/

CARS.COM — When is the right time to change your engine coolant? For some vehicles, you're advised to change the coolant every 30,000 miles. For others, changing it isn't even on the maintenance schedule.

For example, Hyundai says the coolant in the engine (what many refer to as "antifreeze") in most of its models should be replaced after the first 60,000 miles, then every 30,000 miles after that. The interval is every 30,000 miles on some Mercedes-Benz models with some engines, but on others it's 120,000 miles or 12 years. On still other Mercedes, it's 150,000 miles or 15 years.

I don't understand how there can be a 30k to 150k difference. it seems like they have no idea and I wonder if EV's are any different. that is why I asked to see if the coolant is subjected to harsher conditions in an EV than in an ICE.

Personally I normally do my coolant every 100k and haven't had an issue. But I know EV's are different so again why I'm asking if anyone knows. I would think that the coolant isn't subjected to the 180 - 212 F that an ICE coolant sees but again I really don't know.