Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 maps vs Google Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla uses Google maps as their provider, so yes, it's at least as good as Google maps. :)

They use Google Maps for the display, but they actually have a different routing system for coming up with turn-by-turn instructions. If you trust our respected jailbreakers, it is based off MapBox's service.

Bottom line is: The directions it generates are competitive with Google Maps or Waze, even in challenging environments. Both my SO and I have switched from using our smartphones to trusting Tesla maps for our respective commutes in the Bay Area. It's that good. I never would've imagined saying that.

It's not perfect but neither is Google/Waze. But it is definitely on that level, and that makes it the most sensible in-car navigation system I've used to date.

One feature that Google Maps has that the Tesla navigation doesn’t have is the ability to show you multiple routes to your destination. If you plan a route to a destination in Google Maps it will often show you 1 or 2 alternate routes as well as the difference in travel times between those routes. I’m not sure if we’ll ever get this capability with the Tesla nav but it would be a welcome addition.

The Tesla nav is also missing waypoint functionality, but I’ve read that this may be coming in some future update.