Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 maximum battery size is 75kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon replied saying this :
@kryniog The shorter wheelbase only allows for a 75 kWh pack in Model 3 at current cell/module energy densities.....
So with this we can assume the largest battery size for the model 3 will be 75 kWh , makes sense why they removed the 60kwh model s , and made the entry version to 75kwh . Now we just need to know the the size of the battery of the base option

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Geeze, that's 25 under 100...many were speculating they could do better. Does this mean a max range of 300 miles (~250 in real world conditions most likely)? They'd better increase supercharger buildout in a major way...so far this year it's lapsing big time.

So, as I posted in the tweet thread, are/do/should we assume the 75 'max' means using 2170 cells since 'everyone knows' that the 3 is being made with 2170s? I.e., that's the 'current' density?

And thus he's referencing future enhancements for an increase over 75?

Geeze, that's 25 under 100...many were speculating they could do better. Does this mean a max range of 300 miles (~250 in real world conditions most likely)? They'd better increase supercharger buildout in a major way...so far this year it's lapsing big time.
If weighs less, is more aerodynamic and has less internal losses you use less energy per distance.

Model S is a heavy and big vehicle. A 75kWh in Model 3 might equal a 90kWh in Model S.

So, as I posted in the tweet thread, are/do/should we assume the 75 'max' means using 2170 cells since 'everyone knows' that the 3 is being made with 2170s? I.e., that's the 'current' density?

And thus he's referencing future enhancements for an increase over 75?
Yes, it's the 21-70s. I expect ~3840 cells in a 96s40p arrangement. EPA range should be somewhere in the 300-330 mile area, depending on *available* capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
If weighs less, is more aerodynamic and has less internal losses you use less energy per distance.

Model S is a heavy and big vehicle. A 75kWh in Model 3 might equal a 90kWh in Model S.
I think 0-60 mph in about 3.4 -3.8 seconds would be realistic for the performance version , and beside the smaller battery packs couldn't output more energy , still looks fast though in the video , wonder if it's AWD or RWD

I think 0-60 mph in about 3.4 -3.8 seconds would be realistic for the performance version , and beside the smaller battery packs couldn't output more energy , still looks fast though in the video , wonder if it's AWD or RWD

How could it be an AWD when Elon just said there won't be AWD on production cars for months 2 minutes before he posted the video of this pre-production car.

Well beta prototypes were AWD , and release candidates aren't the productions units to be delivered ? Correct me if I'm wrong please :eek:
You are correct, but they are supposed to be testing the production line and processes. I would think they would be testing what they are going to be producing (first), lol. But who the heck knows, at this point. After today's fire hose, I'm not sure what to think...

Reactions: dndcruz