TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 may have Solar Roof that can charge the vehicle

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by X-Auto, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

You definitely have overlooked something.
    Nobody thinks the initial M3 will have a solar roof that can charge the vehicle.

2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

I'm not attempting to destroy anyone at all.

My ONLY and singular promotion is to be thankful for the good pleasures in life such as the view of the heavens from/by a car whos designer is promoting it to sustain that very view.

The M3 will help eliminate the pollution that causes health issues. Lets us breathe.
    The M3 will help eliminate the noisy engines that roam our streets. Let us hear the birds.
    The M3 will help eliminate the fog from pollution that stifles our view of the heavens. Let us see.

Let us literally see the benefits of our M3's and S's and X's.....using the M3's all glass roof.

(without the fear of seagulls - taking care of their business ).

Solar ok...View better IMHO.

• Love x 1
  3. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

Personal preference is great. Vehement opposition based on little more than personal preference is not.

I'm glad you've had a change of heart.

4. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Nope - no change of heart in the least bit. My heart has always been that the view is tremendously better.

Nice attempt to selectively pick through my quotes and make it seem like I changed my heart. You should work for FOX news or something.

• Funny x 1
  5. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

Considering your dismissive and condescending opposition upthread has softened to "solar is okay but I want a glass roof way more", its clear to all that that have read your body of work that you've had a change of heart.

I mean, unless you're trying to Kellyann history...

• Like x 1
  6. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

I think this illustrates the grey area of PV applications. I mean, if we had any sense, 100% of the money we put into the solar industry would go directly toward utility scale installations [and associated storage]. The economies of scale in that concept would maximize the energy to capex ratio.

But we don't do that, because the world isn't black and white. We don't do that because our personal trade studies weighted the variables to different levels. Someone interested in a solar car might not have the ability to install residential. Someone who installs residential might not have the ability to buy into a CCA or utility installation, or they might want to have a more direct impact than just being co-oped. Someone might want to spread their investment across a diverse use of PV (residential, RV, boat, etc.) while others don't care. Some might care more about ROI than environmental impact, or vice versa.

The arguments for and against a very occasionally use RV application, a daily used automobile application, or an efficiently installed residential system are all basically the same thing...just in a different place along the continuum of grey.

7. Beckler

Beckler Member

I've said this many times but ppl have a lot of free time if they're able to spend so much of it on threads like this. I guess the only justification could be if this is really fun to you. Would have to be super fun tho to outweigh the nearly 100% pointlessness.

• Funny x 2
  8. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

#528 Garlan Garner, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Condescending and dismissive is speculative on your part. I just tell it like I see it. Its like saying that the majority of your posts are argumentative.

Come one. Solar is still a horrible and useless option compared to the glass view. But "ok".

I haven't changed anything concerning my opinion. Just don't feel like arguing - I guess the non arguing option has gone away. You didn't have to comment on any of my recent posts, however as I've posted.....you are very argumentative.

Is my opinion really that important to you? If not....just drop it. geesh.

What do you need to hear? you are right? Fill in the blank to what you need to hear __________? What you fill in might not be my opinion, but feel free to feel good.

• Funny x 2
  9. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

If the panels can extend the lifespan of the auxiliary/main batteries, then they're probably worthwhile in terms of resources. At the same time, Tesla can just increase the pack size to account for the additional cooling/auxiliary battery tending, but that's likely more expensive in the long run because that's more battery to pay for when it's time for replacement and more energy used when charging the car.

• Like x 1