Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 may have Solar Roof that can charge the vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is fine for you and me.

But the unsuspecting masses will gleefully pay only $1000 more so they brag to their friends how they are driving on free sun power, until they get a rude awakening forcing them to an SC visit for adding this gimmick.

Believe me I have seen many Leaf owners show their proud puny solar cells to their friends. Honestly I think they generated nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is fine for you and me.

But the unsuspecting masses will gleefully pay only $1000 more so they brag to their friends how they are driving on free sun power, until they get a rude awakening forcing them to an SC visit for adding this gimmick.

Believe me I have seen many Leaf owners show their proud puny solar cells to their friends. Honestly I think they generated nothing.
Rather than concern for added complexity and points of failure, I'm more worried that some people will complain that their cars did not gain any additional range even though they had been left out in the sun all day. So, yes, for multiple reasons, it's not a good idea.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Eh, a fool and their money are soon parted. I'd just as soon the money go into Tesla's pockets as anyone else's. If a $1000 solar roof makes a customer happy, so be it. Frankly, if I bought a glass roof I'd want to see through it.

If you gotta pretend you are getting power from your roof, or simply want to show off, why not get a blue tinted Xpel put on the glass roof. Heck, get your magic markers to draw "cells" and "wiring". Maybe WalMart will sell it in a few months! And the best part: It makes almost the same power as those expensive jobs!

My home solar makes, on a *good* day, with 64 panels covering over 600 sq. ft., just about enough lec-tricity to charge my car to 50%. Imagine what I could do with 6 sq. ft.!

I find it all very unlikely, given the efficiency limits and the potential aerodynamic impact, along with the glass roof obstruction, etc. My experience with the Model X lead-up also makes me very hesitant to believe anything outside of the "normal" realm. Nearly all of the speculation on the X was eventually proven false at the reveal. The exception was the front windshield glass.

That said, I would be supportive of an integrated solar setup that could cover vampire losses. There are many airport parking lots which are not garaged or covered, and being able to leave one's vehicle parked for extended periods of time without worry would be nice. Of course, the Model 3 should be able to drop us off at the airport, go home, and plug back in. So maybe that's a dinosaur concept.

If you gotta pretend you are getting power from your roof, or simply want to show off, why not get a blue tinted Xpel put on the glass roof. Heck, get your magic markers to draw "cells" and "wiring". Maybe WalMart will sell it in a few months! And the best part: It makes almost the same power as those expensive jobs!

My home solar makes, on a *good* day, with 64 panels covering over 600 sq. ft., just about enough lec-tricity to charge my car to 50%. Imagine what I could do with 6 sq. ft.!

I'll bring my Model 3 over so you can help me "install" a solar roof! Even better, how about I bring the Volt over and we can do it right now! ;)

I hope Tesla resists the urge to indulge in all this complexity, even the upgraded autopilot makes me a little nervous even though I love the concept.

That said, I would be supportive of an integrated solar setup that could cover vampire losses. There are many airport parking lots which are not garaged or covered, and being able to leave one's vehicle parked for extended periods of time without worry would be nice. Of course, the Model 3 should be able to drop us off at the airport, go home, and plug back in. So maybe that's a dinosaur concept.
I'd love to have it for camping. Depending on how far a national park is from supercharging, a solar roof can be the difference camping a few days and camping a few weeks. Course, that's a moot point if Tesla can get good coast to coast supercharger access, which may happen eventually. More importantly IMO, PV panels can provide for better battery cooling in warmer environments. I'd pay $1,000 extra for a PV panel without blinking if my $10,000 battery pack could last 10% farther/longer.

I'd love to have it for camping. Depending on how far a national park is from supercharging, a solar roof can be the difference camping a few days and camping a few weeks. Course, that's a moot point if Tesla can get good coast to coast supercharger access, which may happen eventually. More importantly IMO, PV panels can provide for better battery cooling in warmer environments. I'd pay $1,000 extra for a PV panel without blinking if my $10,000 battery pack could last 10% farther/longer.
10%? You would have to leave your car outside for 2 months in sunlight to get a net of 10% on a 100kWh car.

10%? You would have to leave your car outside for 2 months in sunlight to get a net of 10% on a 100kWh car.
I think his point was longevity of the pack, not charge percentage. In other words, if the solar could augment the cooling/heating system to manage the pack's temperature when unattended.

To the point of National Parks, I think a portable/collapsable array would wind up being a more effective option. It generally is when it comes to RVs, anyway. I still don't think you're going to get much either way, but it would definitely stave off vampire and idle losses.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I think his point was longevity of the pack, not charge percentage. In other words, if the solar could augment the cooling/heating system to manage the pack's temperature when unattended.

To the point of National Parks, I think a portable/collapsable array would wind up being a more effective option. It generally is when it comes to RVs, anyway. I still don't think you're going to get much either way, but it would definitely stave off vampire and idle losses.
I get exactly what you are saying. I do.

I just don't consider what folks refer to a vampire and idle loss - as an actual loss. I've always considered such things as "necessary to the product". To me its like the electricity that my thermostat uses to monitor whether to turn on the furnace or air conditioner in my house. That electricity is just necessary - its not much, however it certainly not a waste.

Its akin to the pilot light in an older oven or furnace - its not wasting gas.
Its akin to the hot water heater in a freezing basement - the heat loss is just a necessary cost
Its akin to the electricity that all of my TV's use - when they are turned off - watching to see if someone uses the remote to do something.. its just a necessary cost.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I get exactly what you are saying. I do.

I just don't consider what folks refer to a vampire and idle loss - as an actual loss. I've always considered such things as "necessary to the product". To me its like the electricity that my thermostat uses to monitor whether to turn on the furnace or air conditioner in my house. That electricity is just necessary - its not much, however it certainly not a waste.

Its akin to the pilot light in an older oven or furnace - its not wasting gas.
Its akin to the hot water heater in a freezing basement - the heat loss is just a necessary cost
Its akin to the electricity that all of my TV's use - when they are turned off - watching to see if someone uses the remote to do something.. its just a necessary cost.
When you are in a location without a plug, it's not the cost that matters. It's just trying to keep your SOC. To use your analogies...

It's akin to a candle burning out - it's going to die without more wax.
It's akin to a shallow well - without rain, you'll go dry.
It's akin to a horrible TV show - it's getting canceled.

OK, that last one was poetic license. But I hope you get it. Nobody cares about having solar when they're plugged into their garage. If you're in an open parking lot for 2 weeks, it's peace of mind. I worry when I leave my Model S at the airport for long trips, and I hate to have to check on it and "wake" it up.

Doesn't the 12V battery take care of most of the applications involved in "vampire" leakage?

BTW.....Here are some comments concerning battery longevity when parked for long periods of times.
How long can the Model S be parked without being plugged in? | Tesla Motors

I worry when I leave my Model S at the airport for long trips, and I hate to have to check on it and "wake" it up.
I don't have a Model S, but when I get my Model 3, I'm not leaving it at an airport parking lot while away for a long trip. I'll have someone drop me off at the local airport shuttle bus station instead. It's not vampire drain I'm worried about; I just don't want to leave a tempting target for an extended time. :)

I don't have a Model S, but when I get my Model 3, I'm not leaving it at an airport parking lot while away for a long trip. I'll have someone drop me off at the local airport shuttle bus station instead. It's not vampire drain I'm worried about; I just don't want to leave a tempting target for an extended time. :)
Smart move, but I would not take "3 weeks at the airport" to literally. There is a lot of occasions where you may have to leave your car outdoors for an extended period of time without access to a charging plug.

The airport is mentioned and so are camping in a national park. I could add in a marina parking spot when your on a sailing tour, or at a cruise boat, at a cabin without electricity, a hike somewhere or on a fishing trip or at hunting in the hunting seasons.Just to mention a few. May very well be that none of this is relevant to you, but there is a lot of persons to which one or more of this or other alternatives not mentioned is relevant.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865