Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MCU on the bench

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks!

After I messed a bit with the Model S conputers, being unable to redeploy and figuring out that my IC is broken I decided to go for a Model 3 Unit.

Currently it's not up and running as I'm running into some problems...

First of all I have to wait for the cable that connects screen and MCU since my self made wiring is probably not good enough, was wondering if someone had a pinout of that connector. The Tesla one ain't telling me what I wanted to know (possibly hooking the screen to my laptop)

Second of all: The board seems to behave a little weird. When powering it without screen multiple LEDs start flashing. Same ones as I saw on reddit before. I then waited. Second LED next to the screen connector flashed really quickly and then stayed off. In videos it stayed on and showed video output. Might the board be damaged? It's also missing the LTE chip, SD Card and SIM so I'm not sure if thats connected somehow.

Heres a picture of both pieces on my desk:
Picsart_22-06-03_10-13-55-002.jpg

Don't mind the weird wiring. Was testing something.

I hope the board isn't dead and people are interested in this project!

I'm not a computer geek and would never attempt doing something like this, but I would like to know, just out of curiosity, why you're doing all this. What sort of improvements do you anticipate?
Well, first I just wanna understand how that stuff works better. Like how does the computer react to different signals and stuff. And I also then want to see, where do we have capabilities that aren't used to their full potential.

In the end effect, I also want to mess with it and possibly turn it into some sort of gaming rig as I've done with other gauge clusters before :)

Reactions: buckets0fun
Well, it's been a while.

I am one step closer to getting it to boot. Screen cable is hooked up and that onr LED stays on. I do still not get anything on screen though. :(

On a video I saw the two leds next to the screen connector stay on all the time and the power leds blinking rapidly. Here the power leds blink slowly and every now and then one of the screen leds turns off and comes back on (the one that stayed on before). I am guessing it's stuck in a bootloop?

I am missing the SD-Card and SIM so maybe thats an issue? Ethernet is locked as far as I know so I can't really set any values :/

Anyways, heres some pics :)

Full setup
IMG_20220613_164553.jpg

Screen LEDS
IMG20220613165223.jpg

Power LEDS
IMG20220613165226.jpg

IMG20220613165227.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20220613165227.jpg
    IMG20220613165227.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: tm1v2
Well, it's been a while.

I am one step closer to getting it to boot. Screen cable is hooked up and that onr LED stays on. I do still not get anything on screen though. :(

On a video I saw the two leds next to the screen connector stay on all the time and the power leds blinking rapidly. Here the power leds blink slowly and every now and then one of the screen leds turns off and comes back on (the one that stayed on before). I am guessing it's stuck in a bootloop?

I am missing the SD-Card and SIM so maybe thats an issue? Ethernet is locked as far as I know so I can't really set any values :/

Anyways, heres some pics :)

Full setup
View attachment 816090

Screen LEDS
View attachment 816091

Power LEDS
View attachment 816093
View attachment 816094
There is a serial debug port on the board. You can connect to it and check the output.

Reactions: FoxIrate
Cool. What resolved the display issue? I have a model 3 MCU with edid issue. It keeps looking for an edid file which seems missing.
Hmm thats weird. Well, it turned out that my display cable had two data lines connected wrong (because I was lazy and just bought a BMW one). In the meantime I also figured out that the MCU I originally had was water damaged and thats why it wouldn't display anything. So got a new MCU too.
I do remember that the other MCU said something similar when checking the output tho. Didn't look at the output here. I recommend to check your cable if you were lazy like me lol

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Hmm thats weird. Well, it turned out that my display cable had two data lines connected wrong (because I was lazy and just bought a BMW one). In the meantime I also figured out that the MCU I originally had was water damaged and thats why it wouldn't display anything. So got a new MCU too.
I do remember that the other MCU said something similar when checking the output tho. Didn't look at the output here. I recommend to check your cable if you were lazy like me lol
Thanks a lot for sharing the details.

So, further updates to this entire thing. My screen cable decided it wants to break, I then proceeded to buy a Model 3 Harness, titled as "Dashboard Harness" on eBay. From that Harness I extracted a cable which had a part number attached, redirecting me to the this. Part number is 1091280-00-C.
However upon connecting this the only possible way around the MCU just boots to a certain point and then turns off? Not sure what to think of that

Hi everyone! Good job to FoxIrate and I wanted to ask him, since I have a Tesla Model 3 tablet and mcu too, if he can show which pins he connected!
Yeah sure. Connected power according to this down here.
Screenshot_2022-11-17-22-08-25-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Thanks, I'll let you know if I have any updates on the situation and/or if I need further help. In the meantime I can tell you that even my 2019 Model x mcu shuts down after a while, I'm doing some checks but I'm starting to think it's normal, it probably goes into some kind of safe mode or idk

Thanks, I'll let you know if I have any updates on the situation and/or if I need further help. In the meantime I can tell you that even my 2019 Model x mcu shuts down after a while, I'm doing some checks but I'm starting to think it's normal, it probably goes into some kind of safe mode or idk
Yeah probably, weird thing is that the BMW cable with flipped data lines and power lines worked and the factory cable does not at all

Has anyone messed around with a HW3.0 MCU?
I just bought a used one and will start investigating once it arrives.
Right now i am missing the center screen as they are quite expensive...
My current plan is to either connect a generic HDMI monitor in front of the FPD-Link serializer or to use a combination of FPD deserializer and lvds to hdmi converter... Or does someone have a good source for cheap screens (can be scratched/partially broken).

Yeah probably, weird thing is that the BMW cable with flipped data lines and power lines worked and the factory cable does not at all
The power lines are swapped on my BMW cable as well. But that's easy to spot and fix: Do a continuity test on both pins on mcu and touchscreen to ground, then flip vcc+gnd on one side to match your readings. Never ever connect the cable if you are unsure -> The touchscreen will probably release all it's magic smoke and stop working!

But now i am stuck, my screen does not show anything even though i can ping my mcu.
When looking straight onto the cable my bmw connection (after fixing vcc) looks like (probably wrong):

[+ - ] [+ -] or bl bl or gr br br gr

I assume that the differential pairs of the serdes are messed up :(

Can someone with a working/stock tesla cable measure the pinout?

The power lines are swapped on my BMW cable as well. But that's easy to spot and fix: Do a continuity test on both pins on mcu and touchscreen to ground, then flip vcc+gnd on one side to match your readings. Never ever connect the cable if you are unsure -> The touchscreen will probably release all it's magic smoke and stop working!

But now i am stuck, my screen does not show anything even though i can ping my mcu.
When looking straight onto the cable my bmw connection (after fixing vcc) looks like (probably wrong):

[+ - ] [+ -] or bl bl or gr br br gr

I assume that the differential pairs of the serdes are messed up :(

Can someone with a working/stock tesla cable measure the pinout?
Yes The VCC and GND lines are swapped. I knew that and swapped it. You do need to switch some of the data lines though as these don't match either. However mine is a mess so I can't really provide you help there.

Thanks. I got hold of the display datasheet with the pinout on the display connector (funy sidenote: its not made by tesla but it rather looks like it is a generic display you can buy). In addition i figured out the mcu connector pinout by tracing the lines from the serdes chip to the port.
I needed to switch gr<->bl and br <-> or to match the pinout.

Now my screen backlight turns on but nothing happens after that. According to the screen datasheet the backlight only turns on when there is valid data on the lvds connection.
However, tapping/touching the screen does not change anything.

Once i find time i will document the pinout somewhere. I bought an original cable directly from Tesla which has the same pinout but this shows the same behavior. The cable is actually quite cheap (25 Euro) and you can request the part by opening a service request in the tesla app. It only took 1 day to arrive.
I can see the ssh port and 8080 on the mcu open. 8080 shows some test ui, ssh rejects my connection (expected as i do not have the proper keys)
Right now I am stuck...

I did some looking around at the sd card content... Some logfiles and some data. I was able to extract the VIN and some GPS coordinates most likely before the crash (still in hex, needs conversion to lat/lon).