Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MCU same or better than S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first videos of the model 3 screen interface in action seem to indicate a smoother/snappier system - in particular the recently released video showing the easter eggs. It shows higher fps than what can be seen on an S/X (granted, it is a subjective benchmark but given how choppy they are on my S it looks like a big improvement). Do we know yet if they are still using the aging Tegra 3 for the M3 MCU - smoothness may be the effect of reduced resolution on the 15' screen - or an updated component?

Reactions: Kacey Green
The first videos of the model 3 screen interface in action seem to indicate a smoother/snappier system - in particular the recently released video showing the easter eggs. It shows higher fps than what can be seen on an S/X (granted, it is a subjective benchmark but given how choppy they are on my S it looks like a big improvement). Do we know yet if they are still using the aging Tegra 3 for the M3 MCU - smoothness may be the effect of reduced resolution on the 15' screen - or an updated component?
I would assume they're using something newer especially with everything being handled by one computer instead of two.

Using a Tegra 3 would be a really dumb move. I’m sure it’s an upgraded part, and the S and X are likely due for an upgrade sooner rather than later to reach parity responsiveness wise.
That's also my theory - they need something that is going to be enough for the next few years in millions of units. Maybe it's their rumored in house development (Jim Keller's hire from AMD) or more likely a faster ARM processor so they can keep unified software stack.

Tegra 3 is still OK to manage the basic functionality offered in S/X - most of the time you'll interact with Nav and music, and some settings on static pages. Web browser is notoriously awful, both because of hardware and lack of software optimization. Now for the upcoming days of full autonomy, or even level 3 on the highway, you want the center console to offer more for 'entertainment'. You want a chip that is mass produced and will remain available and supported for the next few years. Not sure that is the fate nVidia planned for its Tegra line after the 4... Hopefully we will know soon, if its nVidia they may announce something during their Q2 results this week.

I don't think they would put a faster mcu in model 3 without being in model s and x first.
But they clearly did. To put it in the S/X would require redesign and revalidation. It could have been planned and built into the Model 3 since 2015 with far less effort. As Elon mentioned previously, they will not intentionally withhold something from Model 3 if they can build it at low cost and at scale.

Web browser is notoriously awful, both because of hardware and lack of software optimization.
I don't really believe software optimization is going to help the browser situation terribly. It's that ancient Tegra 3.

I am interested in reviving this discussion, since my MS was built just before they upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 for MS builds. Real curious to see how the M3 infotainment system compares with MS MCU2 and MCU1, especially with web browser. I am one that might be interested in an upgrade to MCU2 if and when it becomes possible as a kit for the service centers.

I am interested in reviving this discussion, since my MS was built just before they upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 for MS builds. Real curious to see how the M3 infotainment system compares with MS MCU2 and MCU1, especially with web browser. I am one that might be interested in an upgrade to MCU2 if and when it becomes possible as a kit for the service centers.
I had MCU 1 in my 2016 Model S, MCU 2 in my 2018 Model X is much better all around, the only thing that takes getting used to is resetting the main screen also resets the binnicle where the speedometer and Autopilot display live. Though the upgrade may not replace that unit's computer with a raw video feed.

The question is, how does the M3 MCU compare to MS MCU1 or MCU2? Is the M3 at the same level or faster than the MCU2 in the MS, or ???
All my experience with the Model 3 vs Intel Model S and X is about the same, the touch feels a bit more direct than the older cars but the speed is about the same, the Model 3 is faster by a hair and that might be the difference of only driving one screen instead of two