TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 MCU same or better than S/X?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 2virgule5, Aug 6, 2017.

1. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

The first videos of the model 3 screen interface in action seem to indicate a smoother/snappier system - in particular the recently released video showing the easter eggs. It shows higher fps than what can be seen on an S/X (granted, it is a subjective benchmark but given how choppy they are on my S it looks like a big improvement). Do we know yet if they are still using the aging Tegra 3 for the M3 MCU - smoothness may be the effect of reduced resolution on the 15' screen - or an updated component?

• Like x 1
  2. Arthur Tucker

Arthur Tucker Noob Member

I would assume they're using something newer especially with everything being handled by one computer instead of two.

3. michael805

michael805 New Member

Using a Tegra 3 would be a really dumb move. I’m sure it’s an upgraded part, and the S and X are likely due for an upgrade sooner rather than later to reach parity responsiveness wise.

• Like x 1
  4. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

That's also my theory - they need something that is going to be enough for the next few years in millions of units. Maybe it's their rumored in house development (Jim Keller's hire from AMD) or more likely a faster ARM processor so they can keep unified software stack.

• Like x 1
  5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'd imagine it's a Tegra X1 or better since that's a few years old by now.

I was shocked last year when they still put the tegra 3 into the P100D

• Like x 1
  6. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

Tegra 3 is still OK to manage the basic functionality offered in S/X - most of the time you'll interact with Nav and music, and some settings on static pages. Web browser is notoriously awful, both because of hardware and lack of software optimization. Now for the upcoming days of full autonomy, or even level 3 on the highway, you want the center console to offer more for 'entertainment'. You want a chip that is mass produced and will remain available and supported for the next few years. Not sure that is the fate nVidia planned for its Tegra line after the 4... Hopefully we will know soon, if its nVidia they may announce something during their Q2 results this week.

• Like x 1
  7. Maaz

Maaz Member

I don't think they would put a faster mcu in model 3 without being in model s and x first.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

But they clearly did. To put it in the S/X would require redesign and revalidation. It could have been planned and built into the Model 3 since 2015 with far less effort. As Elon mentioned previously, they will not intentionally withhold something from Model 3 if they can build it at low cost and at scale.

I don't really believe software optimization is going to help the browser situation terribly. It's that ancient Tegra 3.

• Like x 2