Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 / Model S AP Confusion (a good problem to have)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
After driving our new Model 3 all last week, I jumped into our Model S 100D to test 2018.18. (Ceramic Coating was still curing on the MS last week)
Attempted to engage Autosteer (or so I thought) by pressing the gearshift stalk down twice. Of course there was no audible feedback. I quickly realized I was having a Model 3 muscle memory moment.
It did nothing. I was still in drive.
I am concerned that attempts at canceling AP could result in unintentionally shifting into Neutral at high speeds.
Perhaps Tesla should consider adding the option of using the Gearshift stalk on the S/X to engage/cancel Autosteer /TACC as it does in the Model 3.
I don’t really see any downside.
Any thoughts...

Reactions: WallyP
I doubt there'll be many people switching back and forth between S/X and 3. Some, yes, and they'll be vocal here, but not enough to 1) duplicate functionality that exists on another dedicated control stalk and 2) isn't visibly indicated on the vehicle like the PRND controls are.

When I switched from my Civic to my S, it took about a week for me to stop shifting into neutral when I wanted to activate the wipers. Different cars, different control schemes.

I don't see any reason why they changed the functionality of the control stalks. Once could argue that the lack of mechanical locking of the turn signal saves them a few bucks of manufacturing complexity, but changing the actual functionality of the controls does not impress me.

I don't see any reason why they changed the functionality of the control stalks. Once could argue that the lack of mechanical locking of the turn signal saves them a few bucks of manufacturing complexity, but changing the actual functionality of the controls does not impress me.
They eliminated an entire stalk. Model 3 is all about simplifying.

I doubt there'll be many people switching back and forth between S/X and 3. Some, yes, and they'll be vocal here, but not enough to 1) duplicate functionality that exists on another dedicated control stalk and 2) isn't visibly indicated on the vehicle like the PRND controls are.

When I switched from my Civic to my S, it took about a week for me to stop shifting into neutral when I wanted to activate the wipers. Different cars, different control schemes.
Although not completely scientific, this survey suggests otherwise. Probably skewed to MS/X owners since most on this forum probably are already.
Multi-Tesla Model 3 Households Survey

BEA49F78-C8B1-49FB-884D-647FD3C75556.png

The real reason (my theory anyway) for the lack of mechanical locking on the turn signal is for autonomous driving (if/when it ever happens). Drastically simplifies method of actuating turn signals without physically have operator use the stalk. It's all software controlled.

Although not completely scientific, this survey suggests otherwise. Probably skewed to MS/X owners since most on this forum probably are already.
Multi-Tesla Model 3 Households Survey
Don't forget that the first several thousand Model 3 deliveries were to existing Tesla owners. And yeah, this forum is very self-selecting — don't put too much stock in an unscientific survey with minimal responses.

Reactions: kingjamez