Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 & Model S Load Sharing 2 HPWCs Video Demo! WooHoo!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
Just took delivery of our Model 3 today and finally had the opportunity to thoroughly test our dual wall charger set-up. It works like magic! Two HPWC’s sharing one 100 amp circuit.
From the HPWC installation manual:
The Wall Connector includes a feature whereby Wall Connector to Wall Connector communication allows you to split the maximum available load over a maximum of 4 Wall Connectors. The wire used for this local network must share the main power cable conduit or be housed in a separate conduit. In other words, the high voltage wires must be branched to a junction box from each individual unit.

That's pretty cool! But I must ask... is the reason you can afford both an S and 3, because you haven't bought a new mobile phone since 2004? :p
You don’t know how funny & ironic that is.
Shot on IPhoneX & every I’ve had every iPhone Model before it on launch days.
A bit of a tech junky/Apple Fan.
Even had an Apple II when it came out as well as a Newton.
But more import Apple Stock gains bought these Teslas!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the video @Daniellane. We current have our MS charging from a NEMA 14-50 but by year end hope to have a Model 3 so this was helpful. I do have a question/comment after watching the video. Should the Model 3 be charging at something like 32amps?

That's pretty cool! But I must ask... is the reason you can afford both an S and 3, because you haven't bought a new mobile phone since 2004? :p

And here I thought it was all those tires. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the video @Daniellane. We current have our MS charging from a NEMA 14-50 but by year end hope to have a Model 3 so this was helpful. I do have a question/comment after watching the video. Should the Model 3 be charging at something like 32amps?
And here I thought it was all those tires. ;)

Long Range Model 3 has onboard 48 amp Charger (A/C to D/C)
I believe your confusing the max A/C output of the of the Gen 2 UMC.
The high power wall charger has a max A/C output of 80 amps. (80% of 100 amps in my installation) Sufficient to take full advantage of the full 48 amps of the Model 3 or the 72 amp max of the Model S Charger.
Supercharger is DC so it bypasses onboard charger allowing extreme charging speeds.

Arachnid Wheels & Tires were a referral prize.

Standard range Model 3 with 50kw battery has a 32 amp onboard charger vs the 48 amp charger on the 75kw battery long range Model 3.
For newbies a good place to start for info on Charging your Tesla(s) can be found here:
Home Charging Installation
These 2 tables are screenshots from the link above.
F469941E-2392-495E-9DC8-86A4DD6DE386.jpeg

1FE126C0-3DFA-4EC9-9F4A-57FA797D0126.jpeg

Standard range Model 3 with 50kw battery has a 32 amp onboard charger vs the 48 amp charger on the 75kw battery long range Model 3.
For newbies a good place to start for info on Charging your Tesla(s) can be found here:
Home Charging Installation
These 2 tables are screenshots from the link above.
View attachment 296435
View attachment 296436
Chart is pretty accurate. Just took this screenshot to verify.
Model S 100D with 72 amp charger is exactly at 52 mph which is exactly what the chart shows.
E39B3D12-400E-4DB3-A075-8393D98EEA5A.jpeg

Just took delivery of our Model 3 today and finally had the opportunity to thoroughly test our dual wall charger set-up. It works like magic! Two HPWC’s sharing one 100 amp circuit.
From the HPWC installation manual:
The Wall Connector includes a feature whereby Wall Connector to Wall Connector communication allows you to split the maximum available load over a maximum of 4 Wall Connectors. The wire used for this local network must share the main power cable conduit or be housed in a separate conduit. In other words, the high voltage wires must be branched to a junction box from each individual unit.
Nice video. Hadn’t even thought about posting a video of our same setup.

I love my setup too, though few things that I found interesting:
1) The max current is divided equally, not proportionally. Ie 48A m3 and 80A S will divide as 40A max to each. My expectation was current would be divided by rate of charge and remaining kWh to selected SoC, eg assuming 75kWh m3LR and MS85 at same starting SoC this would be 32A to m3 and 48A to MS
2) max charge rate doesn’t vary based on different starting SoC.
3) These gen 2 HWPCs will charge via @TonyWilliams Jdapter (JDapter Stub) just fine at up to 40A, though solely being used for daughter’s Egolf (30A) and visitors. Only thing I would do differently now is get new 80A version and a 15’ cord to reach outside and not dirty my HWPC cord :)

One other thing that happened was we were originally getting fault on slave HWPC and having a beast of a time diagnosing the issue. Working with tesla charging team, the trick was to turn the current/slave selector dial through a couple of rotations... worth noting.

Last edited:
Couldn’t figure out why you made this comment until just now.
Just saw a comment on my YouTube account.
29AFA2E1-855F-4DD8-AA5C-5263F2EB0444.jpeg

Standard Def is Default. Missed changing the setting to HD.
Reposted in 720p
Tesla Model 3 & Model S Load Sharing 2 HPWCs (720p)

Question, I have 2 wall chargers installed on 60a breaker
If I plug in both of my cars I get 24a on each running at the same time
Hiwever after 1 vehicle finishes charging, the 24a continues on the 2nd vehicle
I thought it should or would increase to the max 48a
Is this because both cars are plugged in?........wondering if the only way to get the max output is to have 1 of the cars unplugged?
Kind of a bummer if this is the case

Is this because both cars are plugged in?........wondering if the only way to get the max output is to have 1 of the cars unplugged?
It should reserve 5a for the charged car. In your case, 42a for the charging car.

What do you get if only one is plugged in?

True,
However ever though the other car is done charging it is drawing power to run the car since it doesn’t completely shut down vs draining the battery.
So it should allocate more power to the car that is charging.
A207DDF7-BD87-4039-BDEB-39AEABBF560A.jpeg

Silly question, though I tripped over this... are you sure the in car charging limit is set to max? Ie when not charging set charge rate to maximum you can (should be 48A for you afaict)

Sometimes people set the max to the max when charging both cars, not the max that can be supplied if only one car charging. It happened to me, and it drove me crazy for a few minutes (ok, hours) ;)

Also, ensure the non-charging car fans are not running and it’s as asleep as it can be. Just having door open dedicates about 10A of shore power.