Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 & Model S Load Sharing 2 HPWCs Video Demo! WooHoo!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately yes. Same error code as if there were two masters. That dial inside can go faulty pretty easily it seems. Only things I can suggest
1) check quality of comms cable between units and make sure it is shielded.
2) try swapping master and slave between units.
3) all else fails chat to the Tesla folk (number in back of manual iirc)

good luck

Thanks so much, will try those today.
I was sold 50’ of

Belden 3088A 18 AWG 1-Pair Shielded Tray Cable, 600V

I cut off a total of about 3’. I have some excess in the wall, so I’ll remove that excess today. I never measured what they sent me, long shot but will try. Tesla says max length should be 49’.

That’s a long run, though sounds fine. Lots of discussion on what people have been using here

my money is on the unit, sorry

Tried a different cable direct from one to the other without going thru attic, no joy!

Called Tesla and we attempted a firmware update of the older Elon sig unit an "E." New Elon sig unit is a "H"

Update didn't help, so they are sending a new unit.

He suggested putting both at 40a for now, that way both can still be used.

Thanks for trying to help Mike!

Reactions: MikeBur
Thanks so much, will try those today.
I was sold 50’ of

Belden 3088A 18 AWG 1-Pair Shielded Tray Cable, 600V

I cut off a total of about 3’. I have some excess in the wall, so I’ll remove that excess today. I never measured what they sent me, long shot but will try. Tesla says max length should be 49’.
You know, nowhere in the specs for that cable does it actually say twisted pairs, although I should think that it is. One obvious test to make is continuity across the cable. Short the conductors on one end and check continuity with a multimeter at the other.

You know, nowhere in the specs for that cable does it actually say twisted pairs, although I should think that it is. One obvious test to make is continuity across the cable. Short the conductors on one end and check continuity with a multimeter at the other.
Good way to check continuity for sure on existing cable. It’s also strange why it asks for 18 gauge wire, that’s a lot thicker than required for a serial cable... though sounds like new unit on the way.

Great to hear it worked out :)

Now when I plug my 3 into the slave (outside) unit, it won't charge and does the 6 red light flashes.

I unplug it, use the reset button on the side of the unit. I then plug it back in and it works fine. This has happened 2 nights in a row.

When I had this unit and the old one setup at 40a each with no data cable, it would charge fine.

New unit which is the master works fine on my wife's 3. I'll have to try her car on the slave unit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 11.17.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 11.17.46 PM.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 56
Now when I plug my 3 into the slave (outside) unit, it won't charge and does the 6 red light flashes.

I unplug it, use the reset button on the side of the unit. I then plug it back in and it works fine. This has happened 2 nights in a row.

When I had this unit and the old one setup at 40a each with no data cable, it would charge fine.

New unit which is the master works fine on my wife's 3. I'll have to try her car on the slave unit.
You’re not having much luck here are you :(

Are both hwpc units at same firmware version?

ensure the comms cable is not damaged using the continuity test above

ensure you’ve reconnected the comms wire correctly

If all that ok, call Tesla again and remote troubleshoot. This shouldn’t be this hard - sorry.

I remember that your data cable length was maxed out. Normally, I wouldn't think that was a problem, but you might want to go ahead and eliminate the extra length you mentioned was coiled up in the wall. You can also try swapping which unit is the master and which is the slave.

Thanks Mike and Dave. I won’t get a chance to try your options till Saturday or Sunday.

I did remove any of the available excess, which of course wasn’t as much as I thought it was.

My wife used the slave unit today and said it worked fine on her 3. I’ll try it again when I get home later tonight w my 3.