Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming I've got the right spot, blank plate for me (as expected) on a Sep 2018 build, AWD non-performance.

1E04725E-BD6E-4C74-BF15-86533ABB19B2.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
If the "binning" confirmation (discussed in another thread after a TMC member visited a Giga Factory) is indeed true, it appears 990 motors are really just previously referred to as 980 "unbinned" motors that didn't make the cut to be M3P DUs, and became LR AWD DUs only. Meaning, LR AWD cars with 990 coding or "unbinned" 980 motors are one in the same - Tesla just decided in the ~ March 2019 timeframe to go to a part number control system: 980 (post cutover, 980's that qualified for "binning") became the PN for M3P DUs, and 990 for LR AWD (these are essentially what was previously (prior to ~March 2019) the 980 motors that didn't qualify to being "binned" 980 motors for M3P's.

I am not sure.... I believe it's the inverter that is binned not the motor. Isn't the P1085693-00-F the inverter part number? Is this the same or different from the Performance.
The inverter likely has the most variance, but the testing probably occurs on the entire assembled drive unit (motor, inverter, and gearbox). Thus the different plate that gets laser engraved in a separate process than the other QR codes on the housing.
Otherwise, they need a high power fixture for inverter testing which it then repeated with the final assembly.
Originally, Elon metioned more burn in also, which lends itself to binning post final test.

A little off topic, but is it the inverter that dishes out the whining sound. ?

I’m talking about the specific whining sound made during preconditioning, not the general motor sound.

As I understood it, preconditioning is running the electric motor in a slightly inefficient mode (as if badly controlled) which increases the EMF induced losses, causing extra heat which is then transferred to the battery so it is at the right temperature for charging.

If the "binning" confirmation (discussed in another thread after a TMC member visited a Giga Factory) is indeed true, it appears 990 motors are really just previously referred to as 980 "unbinned" motors that didn't make the cut to be M3P DUs, and became LR AWD DUs only.[/QUOTE}

That makes no sense.

AFAIK the "confirmation" is from recent factory tours- which happened months after the AWD began getting a different PN DU in it (the 990) so I don't know that it provides any useful info about the 980 units in previous AWD cars.

If the 980s were actually different back then and Tesla had some sooper-sekrit-special way to keep track of that, there'd have been no need to ever come up with a 990 PN right?

Only reason it'd ever make sense for 990 to exist is if it's a physically different part then the 980.

If the 980s were actually different back then and Tesla had some sooper-sekrit-special way to keep track of that, there'd have been no need to ever come up with a 990 PN right?

Maybe they couldn’t keep track, and the service centers finally got tired of installing replacement motors in Performance vehicles multiple times, before they got one that would be allowed to function with the Performance software? ;)

I could see it taking Tesla 8 months to figure out they need a different part number.

Maybe they couldn’t keep track, and the service centers finally got tired of installing replacement motors in Performance vehicles multiple times, before they got one that would be allowed to function with the Performance software? ;)

I could see it taking Tesla 8 months to figure out they need a different part number.

Or, the laser engraver was delayed and they had to cross check parts by powering the logic board and querying the serial number (or part tags). All units did have the blank spot, right? So it's not like the numbering was unplanned.

@Knightshade - This one was intended to be a reply to your reply (post #292), but I missed the "reply" button, I guess. So, what do you drive?

Mine is an AWD with a 980 DU- but that has nothing to do with my reply. Unless an unlock was generally a good bit cheaper than most have speculated I likely wouldn't buy it even if offered (99% of my driving would get 0 use out of it anyway since I drive almost exclusively highway, and nearly never am at a stop light next to another car)

My replies are primarily based on:

1) Actual known facts (the parts catalog, pictures of actual PNs from in-the-field DUs, the fact AWDs have been flashed to Ps post- delivery on a number of occasions, etc)

2) Actual industry practice (ie everyone else in the world who "bins" parts- Intel being the example I've used a few times but the rest work the same way) using different PNs when they do so if the tests show any significant capability/tolerance differences.

That said- I AM mildly tempted by Alans theory that Tesla simply acted stupidly in using the same PN for ~8 months of AWD/P production, ended up running into all the terrible issues I mentioned (like winding up putting "non-P" motors into Ps and having to fix it later because they're the SAME PN, etc) as reasons it'd be incredibly dumb for them to be using the same PN on 2 functionally different parts, and that THAT is why they're now using 2 different PNs.

Occams razor though still causes me to think there's never been any super secret tracking system, that all 980 DUs are capable of operating as well as all others with P software, and that the 990 is simply Tesla after ~8 months having finally developed a "cheaper" DU that can't meet P specs but costs enough less per DU to be worth the complexity of existing rather than continuing to use the same part in every model.

(and the fact they'll likely sell an even higher # of AWD model Y vehicles and will likely use the same DUs, would be a compelling reason having now developed a lower cost AWD DU that works in both would be worth the added complexity of a second PN)

Mine is an AWD with a 980 DU- but that has nothing to do with my reply. Unless an unlock was generally a good bit cheaper than most have speculated I likely wouldn't buy it even if offered (99% of my driving would get 0 use out of it anyway since I drive almost exclusively highway, and nearly never am at a stop light next to another car)

My replies are primarily based on:

1) Actual known facts (the parts catalog, pictures of actual PNs from in-the-field DUs, the fact AWDs have been flashed to Ps post- delivery on a number of occasions, etc)

2) Actual industry practice (ie everyone else in the world who "bins" parts- Intel being the example I've used a few times but the rest work the same way) using different PNs when they do so if the tests show any significant capability/tolerance differences.

That said- I AM mildly tempted by Alans theory that Tesla simply acted stupidly in using the same PN for ~8 months of AWD/P production, ended up running into all the terrible issues I mentioned (like winding up putting "non-P" motors into Ps and having to fix it later because they're the SAME PN, etc) as reasons it'd be incredibly dumb for them to be using the same PN on 2 functionally different parts, and that THAT is why they're now using 2 different PNs.

Occams razor though still causes me to think there's never been any super secret tracking system, that all 980 DUs are capable of operating as well as all others with P software, and that the 990 is simply Tesla after ~8 months having finally developed a "cheaper" DU that can't meet P specs but costs enough less per DU to be worth the complexity of existing rather than continuing to use the same part in every model.

(and the fact they'll likely sell an even higher # of AWD model Y vehicles and will likely use the same DUs, would be a compelling reason having now developed a lower cost AWD DU that works in both would be worth the added complexity of a second PN)

That's a good working hypothesis... I suspect no LR AWDs will ever see an upgrade to P, irrespective of 980/990 rear DU's.

Can someone please point me to where in this thread, if anywhere, it shows the inverter for the 2018 P cars? I've got a 980, white interior, late 2018 car and am wondering if my inverter is the same as the P. If it is I'm going to the dealership with cash. lol

Thanks!

Best,
Gene