Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My part number is stamped on that big shiny piece that looks blank on yours.

1120980-00-C (looks like I'm a rev behind, wonder what changed)
LR RWD
View attachment 366064

Very very interesting. That plate is definitely blank for me!

1120980 is what I expected for LR RWD, see above.

P3D+ -> Binned for highest output, double the burn in - warrants a motor with....no part number???? To me this suggests that perhaps this part number is secret. I mean, it is clearly deliberate to leave that number off...

Not surprisingly the inverter part number also is different on your motor. (-30 on mine)

Someone with a regular AWD now has to check! I expect a 90 part number on that motor. But I expect the -30 option on the inverter cover.

Last edited:
For anyone that wants to check, this plate is behind the rear driver side wheel. I just happened to take pics of anything interesting looking while rotating my wheels. Here is a view of the plate from further back to get an idea of location.
IMG_20181110_130649_2.jpg

For anyone that wants to check, this plate is behind the rear driver side wheel. I just happened to take pics of anything interesting looking while rotating my wheels. Here is a view of the plate from further back to get an idea of location.
View attachment 366067

Well, shoot that is easier than the undercover. Probably don’t even need to take the wheel off; just stick a camera back there and click away a bit. I had no way of knowing though. And the undercover is very easy to remove.

Who will be the first regular AWD person to do this?

View attachment 366067

Given you have a (presumably) unblurred/higher res version of this photo, what's the plate say? Do you have a -980 part number for your RWD car?

D5BAC25F-CA8B-4CB2-8909-330E0104CA03.jpeg
This is from an AWD VIN 50xxx. EDIT: Production August 2018

Surprising. Makes my earlier guess incorrect. Both LR RWD AND LR AWD are “80” motors. Regardless of what catalog says!

You can take these pictures with a flashlight casting light and a phone stuck in behind the front of the rear driver side wheel. I don’t have access to a LEMR. We need it!

We also need a recent performance picture. One that is not blank! I’m going to guess it will be 990 bit at this point have no idea.

Last edited:
@GregRF Doh! Totally forgot you posted earlier...

Well, AWD VIN 50xxx shows a -980 motor. Do we have any early production PAWDs? Curious if those are also -980 or maybe they're the 'LC' variant.

Just because an AWD VIN has a -980 doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have the LC in current revisions though. As I noted, it makes sense that they'd use the -980 for all variants, then eventually transition to lower cost options (IGBT, the 'LC') once they have more design cycles.

@AlanSubie4Life , any idea production date for that one? Might be interesting to see if we see part numbers change. Looks like RWD motors have the 980 at least as-of May.

Reactions: mongo
May 2018 RWD, VIN 19xxx:
980-00-C, Inverter Plate -20-E

DDFFBC1E-75C4-425F-BAEE-346B8BA5070A.jpeg

Others:

Early production RWD VIN 11xxx (don’t know date):
980-00-C, Inverter Plate -00-E
502BC32C-7916-4BFE-AA97-63E50CE8F155.jpeg

Pictures already posted for these, but summarizing:

Aug 2018 AWD VIN 50xxx:
980-00-D, Inverter Plate -20-E
28036DA7-690A-4CEA-B82C-6221A9A8AC26.jpeg

Mine, Oct 2018 P3D+:
???? (Blank), Inverter Plate -30-E
D514E34F-CB32-47AA-9F13-F5A48986C4C6.jpeg

Let’s add a December P3D+ to this, and a LEMR. And a recent December AWD! Just stick that phone up on in there!

Again, I’ve now got my money on a 990-00-? For the P3D+. I think the MOSFET-LC signifies specially screened (binned!) “LC” (low capacitance) SiC MOSFET, just like Daddy Elon promised us. Inverter plate might still be -30-E but we will see. ;)

Last edited:
I’m bumping this thread, because it’s a Friday night and it’s time to go take a picture of your rear motor.

Bright flashlight, place behind left rear wheel illuminating in general direction of motor.

Slip your phone around the front of the wheel, position camera lens above the rear underbody aero cover, look through the wheel to get the metal plate centered in viewfinder, take some pictures of the metal plate. Takes just a few minutes.

We particularly “need”:
1) December build P3D+
2) LEMR.
3) December build AWD.

Might be nice to see another example of an earlier build P3D+ and a P3D Stealth as well.

Include: Approx VIN and build date, and the exact model of your vehicle.

Reactions: kbecks13
October AWD build: 118k VIN, 1120980-00-D.

The letters on the plate are unlike in these photos. On my plate they are blocky/squarish and zeroes are not crossed. Will try to get a picture some time later.

Maybe they went through a period of blank plates while they were switching over their font. :)

I assume the difficulties people have are with lighting. That super bright flashlight (I actually set it down and reflect it off the inside of the wheel rather than directly pointing it) makes grabbing the shot a lot easier.

View attachment 366294 LEMR checking in....

VIN# 165xxx
Build Date on Door Jamb 12/18/18

1120980-00-D
P1085693-30-E

Thanks! Well, this is a bit surprising!

All the motor base numbers are the same or non existent, so far. Though inverter plates may be slightly different that may be of no consequence (not to say meaningless - might just be small revision, we’ll probably never know).

Mysterious that there are three rear drive units in the catalog, yet only one has been observed (plus mystery motors). Maybe they are saving the 970 for the SR and the true MR ( if it persists) while the LEMR has the same hardware for simplicity for now. I mean (see above) at one point the catalog did say the 970 was for the 50kWh and 62kWh batteries... but then it also says that the 990 is for AWD...so...

As far as the 990...no idea until someone shows us a picture with it!

Anyone else got nothing to do this weekend? :)

We’d still like to see a recent P3D+ and recent AWD build (December). See above for instructions on picture taking from front of the left rear tire...

So far, from observations, all rear motors in all vehicles are the same (980) except for their version (e.g. C vs. D), with potential differences in the inverter (?) “version” (e.g. -20 vs. -30). Plus there are some motors that are “blank”. Yet, there are three rear motor numbers in the part catalog (970,980,990).

But the more pictures from vehicles including build date and vehicle type, the better the chance of figuring this out! Mostly pointless of course.... :)

Picture, build date, vehicle type. VIN too but maybe not useful.

Last edited: