Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MR Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3 MR (they were 264 miles I think). 11 months old, 6000 miles. It now shows 241 miles when full, and 217 miles when charged to 90%. That's about 9% degradation in less than a year. Should I complain, or is this normal?

I have a M3 MR (they were 264 miles I think). 11 months old, 6000 miles. It now shows 241 miles when full, and 217 miles when charged to 90%. That's about 9% degradation in less than a year. Should I complain, or is this normal?
9% lower after only 6k miles seems a bit out of the norm. Try changing up your charging strategy.

Mid-range here. I'm at 11k miles, and down to 248 miles total range. 6% off of EPA rated. Everything I've read here is that it's normal, but there was just a huge survey done by Bloomberg that shows I am an outlier.

Go to the bottom of this page for the chart. I am one of those dots at the bottom:
Bloomberg - Battery survey

This is cause for concern, and in direct conflict of all the posts here that say "it's normal"

one year old model 3 mid range has 3333 miles and fully charged only gave me 221 miles today. was contacted by tesla stating that this was normal and within parameters for similar cars. so baically i lost over 40 and its OK not an issue people, theres nothing to see move along.

• Disagree
Reactions: Carl_P
Mid-range here. I'm at 11k miles, and down to 248 miles total range. 6% off of EPA rated. Everything I've read here is that it's normal, but there was just a huge survey done by Bloomberg that shows I am an outlier.

Go to the bottom of this page for the chart. I am one of those dots at the bottom:

This is cause for concern, and in direct conflict of all the posts here that say "it's normal"

6% isn't anywhere near the bottom of that chart. Sure, it's on the low end- as am I, at 4.5%, but it's still well within the spread of results.

• Disagree
one year old model 3 mid range has 3333 miles and fully charged only gave me 221 miles today. was contacted by tesla stating that this was normal and within parameters for similar cars. so baically i lost over 40 and its OK not an issue people, theres nothing to see move along.

Now, that's crazy low. I think they're blowing smoke; other users with results like this eventually got a message that something was wrong and had their packs replaced.

Recently (mid-August) we charged to 100% at a supercharger before we went into Yosemite (Groveland SC, driving through Yosemite all day) and I got 254miles and that's at 15K miles. Only charged to 100% a few times, ran it under 5% maybe 5 times to reach charger.

Bloomberg's data is self-reported. So, one has to consider that the owners are somewhat self-selecting. Stats gets the data from the car.

Stats shows about a 4.6% drop at 11k miles, for a single-motor 3, is around 33rd %ile. IE 310/325. So, a 6% drop, is a little lower than that. Just eyeballing, I'd say around 15%ile.

battery_violin_1.png

If you want something more accurate than eyeballing, you can buy the "BatteryCompare: for EV Cars" app for $3. Oh, there's not enough data for LEMRs.

If my battery were not giving me the range I would expect, I would try changing up your charging strategy. Change your SOC limit to something lower if it's higher, or higher if it's lower. Anecdotally, that seems to have helped some people with BMS errors. @ralph142 's charging strategy seems to be fairly conservative to minimize real battery deg, but some people believe it does lead to BMS drift.

• Informative
Seems extremely low for 3k miles. One of the more egregious differences. As mentioned earlier, try changing up your charging strategy, set your limit lower if you've been setting it higher; and vice versa.

what do you normally use daily ? If you're only running 10-20% off daily, try setting it down near 70 or so for a bit, and run it all the way down to 10% or so and then up to 100 ish. if its really just bms miscalibration, that should help, by all accounts.

I am the one in the 15% percentile of degradation after 11k miles. I normally charge to 80%, but only use about 5-10% of it in a day. So it goes under 70% maybe once a week? Maybe I should try charging to a lower max %, like 70%? My only issue with this is that Tesla themselves say to charge to 90%.

I am the one in the 15% percentile of degradation after 11k miles. I normally charge to 80%, but only use about 5-10% of it in a day. So it goes under 70% maybe once a week? Maybe I should try charging to a lower max %, like 70%? My only issue with this is that Tesla themselves say to charge to 90%.

Letting it run down to ~20% will not hurt anything, and it may help your BMS. I would certainly try that. (Incidentally, I've heard that letting it always sit at 80% is about the worst thing you could do for the BMS.)

If you only use 5-10% daily, I'd set the SOC to 60% normally, and occasionally drive it down to 20%, and occasionally charge up to 90%.

What Tesla says isn't necessarily gospel. It's just whatever they can reasonably train their employees and what applies generically to the largest percent of customers.

• Informative