Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knowing you Jeremy you’ve probably got a home brew laser cutter, and a little foundry in one of your outbuildings. I’m sure you could knock some out for us at a reasonable price? :D

Very likely! However, I bet there's some bloke in China already preparing production ... and he'll likely get them to the UK cheaper than we could make them! They do look like a spectacularly simple design ... come on manufacturers, get cracking, you're sure to beat the current price.

Reactions: Roy W.
Knowing you Jeremy you’ve probably got a home brew laser cutter, and a little foundry in one of your outbuildings. I’m sure you could knock some out for us at a reasonable price? :D
I actually do know someone with a full size industrial laser cutter :) but I have only ever seen it used for metal. can you really cut plastic with one? I would have assumed it would melt?

Problem is, they will turn the nice flexible design, into a more rigid one. The common 'Chinese' ebay/amazon ones started off flexible I have read, hence all the misleading images of them being twisted, but at some point, the material changed to a more rigid plastic. Interesting that Roys broke in France iirc. I personally think a build up of snow will be the problem over here.

Re rally armour ones - the manufacturers still make a big thing about treating them well and not hitting anything with them. Also, any sign of range reduction? I've not noticed anything with the Chinese ones, but the rally armour ones look quite wide at the back.

What I really want is the Chinese ones in nice flexible material again. I still think they look really smart and do a half decent job of keeping the big bits off the car.

What I really want is the Chinese ones in nice flexible material again. I still think they look really smart and do a half decent job of keeping the big bits off the car.

If you know anyone with a decent 3D printer, and could get the things scanned and digitised, then it shouldn't be too hard to print a set up using TPE. TPE would be soft enough to flex if it hit anything, and is probably ideal for something like this.

Mud flaps look so bad (imo), makes the car look like some kind of old rally car. I’m surprised people are so keen to do it. Surely some PPF would be much better?
I don’t particularly mind the mudflaps, but having said that, the Tesla is the first car I’ve ever wanted to add them to. I’ve never had a car before that gets so filthy on the sides, and mudflaps certainly help with that.

Reactions: tess19
I don’t particularly mind the mudflaps, but having said that, the Tesla is the first car I’ve ever wanted to add them to. I’ve never had a car before that gets so filthy on the sides, and mudflaps certainly help with that.
I have some on mine and I can honestly say that it's reduced the dirt by 90-95% on the sides of the car. The best accessory I have got on my car by a long way.

Attachments

• 20191010_105433(0).jpg
    20191010_105433(0).jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 160