Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 mud guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what your deal is, but not everyone lives in Seattle. I'm thrilled you did the group buy thing for a great price, but do you have to spam every mudflap thread and challenge everyone who doesn't agree with your choice? No, not everyone is going to see any abrasion effects in Spring, Summer or Fall, if there's not a lot of road surface debris on their roads. I can't speak for the Pac NW, but here in New England, where we get alot of sand and salt in Winter, most everything washes off after a few rains in Spring, so no, there's no need for mudflaps 3 seasons of the year.

A few weeks back when you were running your group buy, I contacted my physician, who has a black Model 3, to let him know, and he replied that his rockers were fine. I know he washes his car all the time, so no, not everyone needs mudflaps, even in an area where sand and salt are a menace.

I'm in New England and I want them for year round. The car is so filthy in the dead of winter it doesn't matter all that much as far as keeping the sides clean with flaps. Other cars splash me on the side and kick up crap in front of me. But in other seasons mud flaps can extend your car looking cleaner longer.

After 9000 miles I have no real damage. Maybe a nick or two. But it will take it's toll over many miles and all seasons do contribute both to cleanliness and damage. Just not as much in summer. Spring sure can be mess too. I call it "Mud Season" in NH.

It may depend on the color of your car too. Black cars are dirty really quick in any season. Mudflaps might give you a few more hours of admiring your car ;)

And lets not forget all the construction that happens in Summer. In fact, on my first long highway trip with the new mudflaps we were heading to central NH. The right lane was half grooved, prepped for new asphalt, the left lane was done. My wife was driving, I suggested she go on the fresh smooth lane (nobody was around). A bunch of fresh loose asphalt stones were on the edge and the car kicked up a bunch of relatively big stones. Big mistake. But I think the mud flaps just paid for themselves. In the middle of summer no less !!

Reactions: KenC and jebinc
Received my ebay mud flaps from China today. Took only 9 days, which I guess isn't too bad. They look exactly like the ones in mswlogo's pics, even the writing on the inside of the flaps. The smell on mine wasn't too bad, maybe most of it dissipated by the time I received them.

Overall, looks nice for $18.99 ....

Does anyone have mud flaps installed on a Model 3 that has wheels spacers installed?

I have 15mm spacers up front and 20mm in back. And I was surprised at how much filthier the sides of the car get after driving through any kind of moisture. Like splatter all along the entire sides of the car, all the way back to the rear wheels.

I'm wondering if the mud flaps would help or if the wheels pushed out would make the mud flaps pretty much useless.

Last edited:
Here are my mudguards installed that I got from eBay for $23 shipped.

A73D3DEF-5815-4D4F-8ABB-94E6E5D214BB.jpeg

843FCF07-E2CE-49C7-AA5F-FDC3E58CB2C4.jpeg
B2D0BAFD-F210-4D74-9308-6EF6B4881B62.jpeg

I put the no-name Chinese mud flaps well-detailed earlier in the thread and haven't seen any detrimental effect on efficiency or cabin noise. They look like they were always intended to be on the car. I agree with the post that says it seems like there are fewer pebbles and rocks hitting the underside of the car. From how they are getting pelted, they are definitely keeping some debris from hitting the paint.

Installation was more of a pain than it should have been. The little plastic retainer clips were impossible for me to push in by hand. In the rears, there's not enough clearance to strike it with a hammer. I ended up using a long-handled mallet as lever with the tire as a fulcrum to push them in. The fronts were a little more accessible since the wheel could be turned to make room. Definitely drill a pilot hole for the screw and do it after attaching the retainer clips to get the alignment right.

The $40 ones on Amazon are the same as the $20 ones shipped directly from China. From the photos, it looks like they all come out of the same factory. You can buy them on eBay from a US seller for around $25 and get it within 3-4 days and not have to wait a month for shipping.

Does anyone hear a weird high pitch "ping" noise every once in a while since installing these? At first I thought it might be a rock hitting them and bouncing off but I hear it at really low speeds on roads with no rocks.

I actually notice a bit less road noise. No pinging you speak of. Very happy with ease of installation and looks. Had them on for a couple of weeks now.

• Informative
Reactions: silentcorp