Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 mud guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got these mud flaps for my black / black P3D-.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6NZ25H

I will probably install them tomorrow. They seem to be a new design and cover further back on the rocker panel:

61AAryhKtQL._SL256_.jpg
I bought a few different sets for when i get my car so far i got these and the fake carbon fiber older style ones and these are alot bigger and cover higher and further back. They also are not as stiff as the carbon style, like rubber vs abs.

Has anyone removed these after they've been on for a while and seen whether there's any issue with them rubbing against the paint while driving? Mine (Basenor) are pretty tightly fitted, and they can move slightly under certain loads but it's hard to guess how much they'd move while driving.

Also, they came with 4 black metal clips in addition to the plastic insert clips and screws. Any idea what those are for?

Has anyone removed these after they've been on for a while and seen whether there's any issue with them rubbing against the paint while driving? Mine (Basenor) are pretty tightly fitted, and they can move slightly under certain loads but it's hard to guess how much they'd move while driving.

Also, they came with 4 black metal clips in addition to the plastic insert clips and screws. Any idea what those are for?

Even if they rub they're likely better than without. But securing them with some 3M tape would probably help.

That said I'll probably get a small bit of 3M PPF film to put under the area they sit. Cut a small triangle.

You can get a 12x12 piece for $10. Or 12x60 for $30.

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Clear-Paint-Protection-Choose/dp/B01LZN1IK9

Otherwise stick the mudguards with 2-sided 3M tape. I assume that's safe for the paint/clear coat as that is what is used for the license plate mount.

https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Heavy-Double-Sided-Mounting/dp/B00PKI7IBG

Last edited:

My guess is that even if they are tight they are going to leave some wear marks if there is no PPF behind them. I attempted to install mine last night, and just the act of simply holding them in place to measure out some PPF has left scratches. I can only image what kind of damage they'll do in the long term.

I installed only front mud gard from BougeRV.
fit was not perfect but I managed to get them on.
I noticed that the plastic part where we should screw the mud flap, my left side one wiggle much more than my right one. so my mud flap does move too. I will look for some 3M double sided tape to fix that.

I broke some plastic clips during installation, thats why I didn't do the rear. I will see how long they will last with the snow here...

My guess is that even if they are tight they are going to leave some wear marks if there is no PPF behind them. I attempted to install mine last night, and just the act of simply holding them in place to measure out some PPF has left scratches. I can only image what kind of damage they'll do in the long term.

Wow...didn't notice that on mine, but now I'm concerned. I had washed and sealed the area behind them just prior. I haven't installed PPF before and was a little hesitant to go that route.

Wow...didn't notice that on mine, but now I'm concerned. I had washed and sealed the area behind them just prior. I haven't installed PPF before and was a little hesitant to go that route.

It'll be interesting to see what peoples cars look like after they take their mud guards off for cleaning or w/e reason. I'd bet that most people are going to report back with some type of wear/damage if they didn't install multiple layers of vinyl or a layer of PPF.

My Model 3 is black and has about 3500 miles on it and I am already seeing sandblasting on the rockers and rear bumper. I only drive on paved roads and it hasn’t even started snowing here yet so I haven’t encountered any road salt thus far. My plan was to put the mud guards on for the winter and remove them in the spring, however the sandblasting that I am seeing suggests they need to be a permanent addition. Although, if they stay on long enough to do some proper wear, that might open a different can of worms. if no preventative measures are taken to preserve the finish under the mud guards, they are going to move around, catch road debris, continue to move around and smear that road debris into the paint.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but I see these doing more harm than good unless PPF of some form is used. Otherwise, the constant movement of the mudguards (no matter how tight they are) is going to damage the paint

I had ppf already installed immediately after taking delivery...and I added a second strip of ppf under the edges of the guards that contact the paint...as extra protection for my ppf lol.

I think that'll be a good strategy.

I recall reading a post on reddit where someone had these mud flaps almost wear through the PPF. Probably a poor install, but concerning nonetheless... Obviously the less movement there is, the better off you are.

I think that'll be a good strategy.

I recall reading a post on reddit where someone had these mud flaps almost wear through the PPF. Probably a poor install, but concerning nonetheless... Obviously the less movement there is, the better off you are.

I could see that. Although somewhat soft...some of the edges can be pretty sharp/pointy. I filed down part of one of the rear ones..because it was already leaving an indent on the ppf when I was test fitting it. I had extra ppf laying around. It’s not hard to trim and cut...and doesn’t take long to apply...so figured might as well. Better to pull the strip of ppf off when I remove them for the summer, than to have to redo ppf on the whole fender if it chews it up.

View attachment 479066 View attachment 479055 View attachment 479053
Glad TESLA is waking up to the need we knew about all along. But time will tell if they get it right. You don't have to wait at the cost of your paint this Fall and Winter. No mud flaps made offer our heavy duty serious protection profile. Why wait when you can buy ours now. With minimum visual impact, we get the job done with no new holes. www.evsmartparts.com

I bought this on Monday and it arrived Tuesday (Black Friday sale). It took about 15 minutes to install. This one definitely will not rub as its flat against the wheel well. It looks very minimalist meaning it looks like a part of the interior wheel well. As they said, no drilling into the liner is required. That was well worth it for me.

Reactions: EVSmartParts
I bought this on Monday and it arrived Tuesday (Black Friday sale). It took about 15 minutes to install. This one definitely will not rub as its flat against the wheel well. It looks very minimalist meaning it looks like a part of the interior wheel well. As they said, no drilling into the liner is required. That was well worth it for me.

I've been trying to find a good mudflap solution and wondering about putting down 3M or PPF. The ones you linked look good but it looks like they only come for the front wheels.

Last edited:

I removed mine. I decided to check on them a month or two ago (after a couple of months on the car), and several things happened:
a) most plastic clips basically disintegrating during removal (with proper trim removal tools). Never happened to me before.
b) One mudflap broke as well while trying to wiggle it to remove the stuck (broken off) clip
c) They almost ate through the PPF I had.

My conclusion is that these are garbage. There's no way to mount anything securely, if it's only mounted to the fender liner. I even tried to make it sit there more securely than with the supplied hardware, and applied doublesided tape as well.

I have rallyarmor ones on order. I don't plan on any roadtrips during the winter, so the highway range is not important. I'll probably remove them for the summer.