Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as someone else noted up-thread....let's all pause on this hype until after next week, when Fremont will supposedly begin producing the ~300 "pilot models" we've been hearing about for a while now.

Figure: a handful to NHTSA for crash testing.
another handful for cold weather testing.
maybe some for hot weather (desert) testing.
and....HOPEFULLY.....some to be used as test drive cars later this year.

Until then, we all await the earnings call on the 22nd, when we hope to learn more.

Except that they aren't starting production, Tesla is retooling its factory for Model 3 production. Tesla's last notice on it still said "later this year" for production, so I wouldn't expect to see anything on the road until after the next reveal. The shutdown itself will almost take them into March, at that point they might make a few test pieces if only to make sure everything is installed correctly, but I wouldn't expect a complete car to roll off the line until just before the reveal at the earliest.

Gonna hit the snooze button on this thread until February 20th.
The factory will still be shutdown then so I'd reset your snooze button.

More like March 30...I can't see Elon letting this slip until after the 3rd reveal.
I think so too. Also, even after they get done with the shutdown they'll need some time to test all the equipment, maybe make some validation pieces, and make sure everything is working. Then they might try to build an entire car on it.

Except that they aren't starting production, Tesla is retooling its factory for Model 3 production. Tesla's last notice on it still said "later this year" for production, so I wouldn't expect to see anything on the road until after the next reveal. The shutdown itself will almost take them into March, at that point they might make a few test pieces if only to make sure everything is installed correctly, but I wouldn't expect a complete car to roll off the line until just before the reveal at the earliest.
pilot model production....aka MULES.

read all of the words, please, before putting new ones in my mouth. ;)

But, what happened to all those test drive cars at the first reveal ? Could some have escaped? Or be used for further testing. No need to camou the mules anymore

There were two driveable cars at the reveal. Matte black and silver. the Red one was later found to be a clay rollable model.

And I imagine that once it was "pencils down" and time to build pilot models, there was no longer any need to learn anything from "older" designs of the vehicle.

they'll look cool on display at GF-1.

Reactions: Red Sage
Just had a friend report that he spotted a Model 3 (white) in Palm Springs.

Interesting. Would you mind sharing this video with him? Is it anything similar looking to that "mule"? There are two Model S' accompanying it, so he should be able to gauge the difference in size pretty easily (especially as he has one, too).

White would be pretty unexpected. If it is, it's gotta be new: we've never seen a Model 3 in white.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zapped
Status
Not open for further replies.