Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a comparison for the silver lovers like me out there:

Tesla M3 Alpha RC Silver.jpg

My thoughts exactly. But I'm holding out hope that they will offer "hyper silver" as a special color to early res holders, or just a higher-cost option. But if not, pearl white will have to do, I'm afraid.

I'm a little sad that they don't have a super bright silver (mercury?) on these RCs. I might end up with blue despite silver being my first choice based on the car shown March 2016.

In a less sarcastic response... I'm sorry to disappoint, but store reps definitely do not have any inside knowledge of future things coming out of the factory. I can assure you of this from many instances of photographic evidence on TMC, and then talking to a local rep and them not knowing about it. They might have an idea of when they'll get a test drive car... after production has started, and it's within a few weeks of them getting one. Source: a Model X reservation holder that obsessed (much more than I am over the Model 3) over the forums and well everything Tesla for several months during the Model X rollout.

Actually, a service center technician might have more info, but probably not quite yet. They get taken to the factory for training (or at least they did in Model S/Model X era ... that may change with Model 3 and higher volume), and even when they were trying to catch up on the Model X backlog I spoke with one technician that had been flown out just to help on the production line.

No argument here. I guess the silent assumption I made after what I said is "take that for what it's worth." However, to add another reason to Chris L's support for the all-glass roof is standard statement is that even the body-in-white looks to be one that is based on having an all-glass roof with the placement of the crossbars. It's not a big deal to me because I will be getting the all-glass roof, standard or not, as that is a condition my wife gave me in getting this car :p

However, to add another reason to Chris L's support for the all-glass roof is standard statement is that even the body-in-white looks to be one that is based on having an all-glass roof with the placement of the crossbars.
I have always assumed (can't remember if I have any facts behind this) that the "metal roof" part would be added just like the glass part would. If I'm correct in this, the body-in-white gives no clues to wherever there will be a metal roof or not. But having said that, I have to also say that I do not care one way or the other. If the glass roof is standard, then I'm fine with that. If not, I will have to decide later... :)

Reactions: DR61
What about the fact that there is no visible seam between the side metal and the crossbar. I have a hard time believing that the reflection from the sky would cause the metal above the door to blend so seamlessly into the crossbar if the crossbar was underneath glass. I still stand by my theory that this car has an openable sunroof and the others are the fixed glass roof (the lighter blue section could be glass reflecting the sky).

View attachment 227184

EDIT: Or maybe not. I can sort of see where a seam may be closer to the edge of the car. It's not the clearest picture. Here's what we should be seeing:

View attachment 227187
In your second picture, the seam is hardly visible. In the first picture the resolution of the photo is masking that detail. Even if it was metal, it would still have to have a seam.

Yeah, I dunno. My gut reaction is why would they use special paint on a Model 3 alpha. But then I remember there was a matte black alpha, and there's no way that's going to make it to production (I await the disagrees from those that want it!). So maybe the silver was special paint. I still lean toward it was just very good paint job, auto show grade wash/detail/wax, and good lighting that's making it appear "shinier" than an RC car driving around a parking lot photographed by a phone.
Almost all manufacturers have their show cars or prototypes shown at auto shows in non-production colors. The alpha was definitely not the same silver as the current production silver.

• Informative
Reactions: Topher
I have always assumed (can't remember if I have any facts behind this) that the "metal roof" part would be added just like the glass part would. If I'm correct in this, the body-in-white gives no clues to wherever there will be a metal roof or not. But having said that, I have to also say that I do not care one way or the other. If the glass roof is standard, then I'm fine with that. If not, I will have to decide later... :)
I'll admit the "metal roof as add on" had not occurred to me. That could make sense though. For easy building it's open top, and at the end they just slap on glass, metal, or a few extra parts for the sunroof. Could very well be the case.

Almost all manufacturers have their show cars or prototypes shown at auto shows in non-production colors. The alpha was definitely not the same silver as the current production silver.
Neither the silver, nor the gorgeous red color on the clay model we saw at the gigafactory event last year, were standard Tesla colors ...unfortunately :(

I am still hoping for some very clear and bright new metallic colors, because the design deserves it, to show all lines on the car.

Neither the silver, nor the gorgeous red color on the clay model we saw at the gigafactory event last year, were standard Tesla colors ...unfortunately :(

I am still hoping for some very clear and bright new metallic colors, because the design deserves it, to show all lines on the car.

Absolutely. Since people who choose a special color would probably be willing to wait a little longer for their "bespoke" car, I could imagine a rotation of three being cycled through over a quarter so as to balance efficiency in the paint shop with availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.