Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm surprised the car has not changed. They haven't built any more, and they haven't come up with new parts to try. It's not July yet, so those pencils are still in the air.

I don't care how the door handles operate, but I wish they looked like the ones on this car.

Anyone else notice that we have seen the silver car at the Gigafactory and the matte black one on the road a few times. Haven't see hide nor hair of the red one. Also, it was the only one that was not operational at the reveal. My bet is that the red car is the platform they are doing final modifications, and completions on and because it is all hush hush, they have kept the car under wraps.

Dan

Anyone else notice that we have seen the silver car at the Gigafactory and the matte black one on the road a few times. Haven't see hide nor hair of the red one. Also, it was the only one that was not operational at the reveal. My bet is that the red car is the platform they are doing final modifications, and completions on and because it is all hush hush, they have kept the car under wraps.

Dan
Or it could have been to show off the paint on a Model 3 body ;)

likely this.

If it was just a shell with no drivetrain..what's to show off about it?

My guess was that the red one pre-dated the other two. No drive train, no battery, just the first / early prototype of the chassis and interior. Electronics, drive train, etc. probably on a parallel development track, came together on the other two cars, which would have been a refined version of the red one (with corrections and able to accept the other stuff).

My guess was that the red one pre-dated the other two. No drive train, no battery, just the first / early prototype of the chassis and interior. Electronics, drive train, etc. probably on a parallel development track, came together on the other two cars, which would have been a refined version of the red one (with corrections and able to accept the other stuff).
The red car had the M3 door handles so it was definitely newer than the flat black one that had the MS type handles. I think it very well could end up being the Reveal 2 car and will have what the factory cars will have.

License plate matches the car seen the day after the reveal.

Mfg plate 63277

tesla-model-3-via-@anlynia.jpg

And I'm surprised the car has not changed. They haven't built any more, and they haven't come up with new parts to try. It's not July yet, so those pencils are still in the air.

They probably have a bunch of prototypes built already for testing, but the silver and black shown at the reveal were road-worthy at the time and could be driven on and are licensed for travel on public roads (DMV).

What I believe Tesla might be testing is network AP. Tesla knows there will be hundreds of thousands of their cars on the road in the next few years, if we assume Tesla is encouraging people to use the AP, it's easy to imagine why network AP would be beneficial. Instead of you traveling on the highway with AP by yourself, your Tesla could detect another Tesla 20 yards away traveling in the same direction as you, so for convenience and safety both cars could travel single file on the same lane. Two Tesla driving with AP and sharing traffic information would be safer than a single one, plus they would probably be safer than two cars being driven by two different individuals.

I really think Tesla isn't just testing the 3, but instead Tesla is using their cars to test how well three networked AP cars could drive themselves.

Crazy? perhaps.
Cool? Totally.

This is called "platooning". In 1990s the government ran a project with a bunch of cars on a section of Interstate 15 express lanes north of San Diego. The cars were steering using magnetic sensors in the middle of the lanes, and they ran as a group at high speeds very close to each other.

From: History of autonomous cars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1991, the United States Congress passed the ISTEA Transportation Authorization bill, which instructed USDOT to "demonstrate an automated vehicle and highway system by 1997." The Federal Highway Administration took on this task, first with a series of Precursor Systems Analsyes and then by establishing the National Automated Highway System Consortium (NAHSC). This cost-shared project was led by FHWA and General Motors, with Caltrans, Delco, Parsons Brinkerhoff, Bechtel, UC-Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon University, and Lockheed Martin as additional partners. Extensive systems engineering work and research culminated in Demo '97 on I-15 in San Diego, California, in which about 20 automated vehicles, including cars, buses, and trucks, were demonstrated to thousands of onlookers, attracting extensive media coverage. The demonstrations involved close-headway platooning intended to operate in segregated traffic, as well as "free agent" vehicles intended to operate in mixed traffic. Other carmakers were invited to demonstrate their systems, such that Toyota and Honda also participated. While the subsequent aim was to produce a system design to aid commercialization, the program was cancelled in the late 1990s due to tightening research budgets at USDOT. Overall funding for the program was in the range of $90 million.[35]

Jalopnik got their hands on a great photo of that prototype with the new wheels, standing still.
They actually appear to be the same wheels that were on the silver prototype, but painted all black.
s9reh4xliceo3qabczbl.JPG
That nose doesn't look the same. May be angle but it looks like it points over and curves back rather than the blunt flat nose of reveal.

That nose doesn't look the same. May be angle but it looks like it points over and curves back rather than the blunt flat nose of reveal.

Pretty sure it's the same car. Artificial lighting and bad angles didn't do any favors for the photos taken during the reveal. It looks much better in person with natural lighting than on stage.

It's a beautifully designed vehicle as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.