Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but that's not a good comparison. Model 3 has the same back as Model S just with stuff removed. That's why it looks like something is missing. The spot I'm pointing out is literally the same exact shape as the metal strip. Seriously?! Maybe it would be a good design if we didn't have Model S to compare it to, but it looks lazy and unfinished as is.
I think this boils down to aesthetic preference.
I don't share your feeling at all, and I don't feel that there is anything "missing" or "unfinished" from Model 3's back. Granted, I don't feel that it looks anything special or distinct either, just like most other cars on the road. But it certainly looks fine and complete as is.
As you can see, a metal strip doesn't belong anywhere on the Passat. If it did, it would be huge and ridiculous-looking.

Actually, I would feel the same as applied to the Model 3!

Reactions: mhan00 and MrRandyB
You can draw a line on that blue car wherever you want, but that's not necessarily where the body crease is. (I don't see it in the same place you have it drawn) Having it blend into the curve at the front of the fog light opening is the more logical place for it to go.
I think you are following the line created by the reflection of a split between some tress or bushes and pavement.
Until somebody gets a good close-up of that area without massive reflections we won't know for sure. We shall see.

Okay. How about on this one? You still think it's in the same place as on the Alphas?

S5PyV9J.jpg

QiiU5WB.jpg

Okay. How about on this one? You still think it's in the same place as on the Alphas?

S5PyV9J.jpg

And look at the crease under the headlight (the sun is glinting off it - not the dark shadow below it), the crease has been softened and the top of duckbill lowered to be inline with it, thereby adding about 2" more space between duckbill and hood opening. The outside edges of the duckbill have been softened to blend with the front fenders without a sharp crease.

I am pleased with the massage of the original design.

No, but that's not a good comparison. Model 3 has the same back as Model S just with stuff removed. That's why it looks like something is missing. The spot I'm pointing out is literally the same exact shape as the metal strip. Seriously?! Maybe it would be a good design if we didn't have Model S to compare it to, but it looks lazy and unfinished as is. I mean, come on, Tesla, give your game-changing car its own identity! Too much of this car makes it look like the smaller, unwanted brother with health issues.
View attachment 222182
As you can see, a metal strip doesn't belong anywhere on the Passat. If it did, it would be huge and ridiculous-looking.

I think the amount of chrome on the Model 3 is overdone ... your are welcome to add more bling if you like, I'll take mine blacked out :cool:

upload_2017-4-10_20-49-1.png

Reactions: DavidP

S5PyV9J.jpg

QiiU5WB.jpg

I do. The angle is different. The photo for the car at the reveal was taken standing below the stage, camera at head height. Look at the hand holding the camera in front. The black car was photographed in the real world at chest-ish height looking down not up. You can't conclude anything with such an angle difference.

• Funny
Reactions: Pando
I do. The angle is different. The photo for the car at the reveal was taken standing below the stage, camera at head height. Look at the hand holding the camera in front. The black car was photographed in the real world at chest-ish height looking down not up. You can't conclude anything with such an angle difference.

No way is the nose the same. The most obvious way to see it is the relative place of the foglights.

I agree with others: the nose has been made lower and softer, more Porsche-like.

I think the areas on the sides of the bonnet have been softened a bit too. The nose has a less sharp look, which I think is not entirely a positive change.

I totally agree with Pando. The nose is different. I really liked the bold fascia they went with originally and I didn't want Tesla to cave in to the demands to put the new Model S and X fascia on the Model 3. I really like the front of these RCs, though. It keeps the initial design philosophy going but they made it look even better.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Pando. The node is different. I really liked the bold fascia they went with originally and I didn't want Tesla to cave in to the demands to put the new Model S and X fascia on the Model 3. I really like the front of these RCs, though. It keeps the initial design philosophy going but they made it look even better.

It is an even bolder expression and progress towards to no grille/nosecone. Each step from Model S prototypes towards production and then to Model X, Model S facelift and now Model 3 has moved Tesla towards more minimal air intakes and intake-like designs in the front. I wonder if Model S/X will eventually be facelifted to a design like this or if this is perhaps reserved for the smallest and lowest of Teslas, such as Model 3 and Roadster, while larger cars will still have a bit more going on in the front to use that space (e.g. like Model X/facelift Model S)...

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3 and KeRaSh
It is an even bolder expression and progress towards to no grille/nosecone. Each step from Model S prototypes towards production and then to Model X, Model S facelift and now Model 3 has moved Tesla towards more minimal air intakes and intake-like designs in the front. I wonder if Model S/X will eventually be facelifted to a design like this or if this is perhaps reserved for the smallest and lowest of Teslas, such as Model 3 and Roadster, while larger cars will still have a bit more going on in the front to use that space (e.g. like Model X/facelift Model S)...

Hmm... I know people love to photoshop the Model S/X fascia on the Model 3 but has anyone done it the other way around? I would like to see what that would look like.

S5PyV9J.jpg

QiiU5WB.jpg
If people can't see the difference between the Alpha and the PC.....they have to be blind. Its blazingly obvious.

First of all anyone can see the increased distance between where the hood ends and the beginning of the duck bill. You have be able to see that.

Secondly the duck bill crease on the black car now ends way before ( above ) the fog lights and not "at" the fog lights ( in the alpha version ).

Reactions: Yuri_G
I think this boils down to aesthetic preference.
I don't share your feeling at all, and I don't feel that there is anything "missing" or "unfinished" from Model 3's back. Granted, I don't feel that it looks anything special or distinct either, just like most other cars on the road. But it certainly looks fine and complete as is.

Actually, I would feel the same as applied to the Model 3!
I completely disagree. There is most definitely something missing from the back end. It is so obvious you must be blind if you don't see it!

The blue production candidate is without a doubt missing my license plate. I wish they would stop using my car for all this testing and just put it back in my garage...geeze, some people. ;)

Dan

I'm going to disagree with most of you (but it's only opinion). Looking at a closeup of the the nose/hood I agree that the new appearance (real or perceived) looks better than the silver alpha/prototype, but as a whole I don't think the car looks better. The front of the car is already much lower and shorter (than "normal") in relation to the rest of the car (because there is no engine to house). The RC cars' lowered looking nose diminishes the front of the car even more, at least the silver alpha/prototype gave it some presence.

I'm going to disagree with most of you (but it's only opinion). Looking at a closeup of the the nose/hood I agree that the new appearance (real or perceived) looks better than the silver alpha/prototype, but as a whole I don't think the car looks better. The front of the car is already much lower and shorter (than "normal") in relation to the rest of the car (because there is no engine to house). The RC cars' lowered looking nose diminishes the front of the car even more, at least the silver alpha/prototype gave it some presence.

Subjectively, I agree.

Objectively (as my objectivity guess anyway), I must disagree.

I think the release candidate nose may have wider appeal than the prototype exterior had. It is a bit safer, less controversial. Less exciting for sure, but that is probably a good thing for wide appeal. Unlike the trunk and the single-screen dash, where I fear Tesla may have added resistance rather than removed it, the exterior IMO seems to have moved towards a more widely accepted direction.

Which, overall, probably is a good thing, even though it might suck for me personally. So, IMO, credit where it is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.