Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But does this matter if they can sell all the Model 3s that they can produce until the Y is released ? Disregarding your personal preferences here and looking at the broader market sentiment. Maybe i should add my personal preferences here as well, i want a I-Pace "station wagon" crossover and would never have bought a sedan if it wasn't a Tesla.

As I've said, Model 3 will do fine I expect, so perhaps none of this matters for sales. It is still something I lament from a European perspective and am certain will give Tesla some headwind on the old continent (as @smac so eloquently put it). I think a lot of people, not just myself, would have found Model 3 a much more versatile car had it been a hatchback like Model S.

So, Model 3 will be fine sales-wise, I expect.

Then a subjective comment:

There are times when I feel "California" shows in Tesla making (cold weather features or the tons of missed opportunities there being one) and I think making a sedan instead of a hatchback is one of those instances.

Perhaps this is why so few Europeans in the end would consider an American car. Come to think of, before the Teslas, I have never owned one. Even the Fords and whatnots I've known people to buy are usually the Euro versions, which are completely different cars. On average, the same things that are appealing in the U.S. car market are not appealing here - and, in parts, vice-versa of course.

Jaguar I-Pace being more interesting for me than Model 3 as it is currently known, in that sense, is not surprising. It is just things returning to normal a bit.

@AnxietyRanger Ford did dabble with a one world car. Which is where the Mondeo got its name (a Latin derivative). We are also seeing things like the Mustang being finally officially shipped in RHD form, and the US get the Focus RS (An interesting fact is pretty much the only Mustang variant selling here is the V8, even though the ecoboost is available.)

Adding weight to your argument around door preferences though is the Mondeo/Fusion is only available in 5 door* here, and only available in 4 door in the US. We also get the wagon variant which is awol from the Ford US catalog.

(*technically the Vignale "luxury" sub brand version is 4 door/ wagon only, but you would need to be a lunatic to buy one)

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
@AnxietyRanger one more point though. Ford's rationale of embarking on their "One Ford" methodology was a selfish one, looking to reduce cost. The thing they missed was a product that was appealing worldwide (without significant changes like number of doors!)

In fairness to Ford the current gen Ford Edge is getting within striking distance:
Ford Edge verdict | Autocar

One thing you will note is all the competitive cars in that piece are ones which are available almost unchanged in EU/US/China, with the exception of the Skoda. However Skoda are thinking of going into the US, and guess which car they will lead with (yep their crossover/SUV).

Skoda US launch decision set for autumn 2017 | Autocar

I think this just goes to show if you want a car that sells equally well in all 3 major car markets, then it has to be an SUV/Crossover.

I hope Tesla hurry up with the Y!!!

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I think this just goes to show if you want a car that sells equally well in all 3 major car markets, then it has to be an SUV/Crossover.

Just don't do this.

Tesla_Motors_Model_X_Crossover_2015_b7648-1200-800.jpg

Yeah, when the Mondeo first came out in the '90's I thought the liftback looked great, and I was excited that I might be able to buy it in the US:

maxresdefault.jpg

However, when they released the awful looking Contour I had zero interest:

1995_Ford_Contour_7046.jpg

So I've always liked the utility of liftbacks. However, the compromised rear view visibility in my Model S annoys me enough that I'm willing to make the tradeoff in the Model 3 (however, I want to see the trunk in person first).

The Blue and the Black mules look great. However, Model 3's will not sport MS and MX colors.
Choices will be all the fluorescents - green, orange, red, blue, yellow, purple, and a newly discovered fluorescent gray... and any combination of two of those.

Reveal will be July 31st 11.59 pm Hawaii time.
I wish the color comment were true. Model S colors bring a new definition to the work BORING apart from multicoat red the rest of subtle variations on black. Give it a rest already, give us some actual colors that don't have 80% black content.
If we get the same old boring colors I'l be getting the standard no cost color and dipping my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.