Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is if the TM3 spotted a couple of weeks ago is the release model, why wouldn't Elon run some minimal camo on it like the MX above? I think the recent pictures are very close to the final product, but I still think that Elon has some surprises in store for us in July. They will not be drastic from a design standpoint. They will be subtle but significant (no not HUD) perhaps like a minor rework of the trunk. I still don't think we have seen the final interior.

I think the answer to this is very, very simple. The only thing Tesla camoed on the Model X - basically - was the nose.

Why?

Because the nosecone-less nose was a big statement they had a reason to keep a bit secret.

They have no such reason with a minimally altered Model 3 that was otherwise fully seen a year ago.

Speculation of course, but IMO likely.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Um, no. They had some stuffing and vinyl wrap disguising the nose, but underneath the car was manufactured with the exact nose that was in the final car (you can easily see the "mustache"). Disguising a mule is totally different from manufacturing a final candidate that is not in fact final.

That's the point I was getting at. They were hiding the final X from us right up to the reveal, and it was obviously being hidden with all the camo... Compared that to the 3's we've seen, so far I haven't seen any dramatic camo on them. They don't seem to be hiding much of anything on the 3's driving around.

The only thing Tesla camoed on the Model X - basically - was the nose.
Agreed, mostly. I'd argue that the large windshield was also mostly camouflaged, and that it's a pretty unique piece of the design.

I was on the side of "this is the final X" in those discussions as well. And I'll put myself out there to say "what we're seeing is the final 3."

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Agreed, mostly. I'd argue that the large windshield was also mostly camouflaged, and that it's a pretty unique piece of the design.

I was on the side of "this is the final X" in those discussions as well. And I'll put myself out there to say "what we're seeing is the final 3."

You are right about that clarification, the big windshield was camoed at least for a good long while - perhaps not quite to the end, though, because we managed to see its tint and speculate on it having electric adjustability ala Mercedes, but yes, you have a point.

Every time I see my Model X in the sun I get reminded of that speculation when I see the slightly purple tint. Alas, that was one speculation where the optimism about Tesla's interior design got the better of some of us - your's truly included. :)

As for is this the final Model 3? Well, like I said with Model X, there is a chance that it is not. But now, for me too this time around, that chance seems pretty much 0.

Reactions: kingjamez
What I don't understand is if the TM3 spotted a couple of weeks ago is the release model, why wouldn't Elon run some minimal camo on it like the MX above? I think the recent pictures are very close to the final product, but I still think that Elon has some surprises in store for us in July. They will not be drastic from a design standpoint. They will be subtle but significant (no not HUD) perhaps like a minor rework of the trunk. I still don't think we have seen the final interior.
The answer seems quite obvious. Whatever changes Tesla made to the Model 3 nose (if at all) are so subtle that we are still arguing over if it happened. This is different from Model X where the nose was a substantial change (nose cone is gone).

Reactions: JeffK
The answer seems quite obvious. Whatever changes Tesla made to the Model 3 nose (if at all) are so subtle that we are still arguing over if it happened. This is different from Model X where the nose was a substantial change (nose cone is gone).
Maybe the Model 3 nose now looks like the refreshed Model S nose. They could be "hiding in plain sight" and just have a Model S badge on them. ;)

Signature red Model 3?????
supercharger-expansion-01_zpsqrwrdeok.jpg

The changes I would like to see happening are quite different. Because I am different. My right hand is a bit handicaped, so individual fingers cannot be controlled very good in detail. That is a bit annoying with knobs, keyboards and buttons on screens. When I want to touch a button in a touchscreen I often touch the wrong one or I cannot press it hard enough.
So I would like a software update to full voice controlled centerscreen in the Model 3. Today I asked Elon if that would be possible.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Status
Not open for further replies.