Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverm3-3-jpg.227077

This guys all "please will these guys stop following me!" Either that or he got the short stick.. "Carl it's your turn to drive the 3 and get your face plastered all over TMC."

Carl - "Damn it!!"

It seems pretty obvious to me that all these release candidates have been using the current color gamut from the Model S & X, which I'm speculating is what happens for actual Model 3 production to keep manufacturing simple/cheap in the beginning. Not sure why more people haven't picked up on that unless their wishful thinking has them in denial? I suppose there's no harm in dreaming :rolleyes:

Yes, and history shows Tesla has never changed any paint colors in the past. :rolleyes:

It seems pretty obvious to me that all these release candidates have been using the current color gamut from the Model S & X, which I'm speculating is what happens for actual Model 3 production to keep manufacturing simple/cheap in the beginning
I agree. It would make no sense for Tesla to, for example, use a slightly different silver to paint a Model 3 RC car when Tesla is currently using silver to paint S/X cars. It's the same paint.

That said, I think it is possible that when 3 production begins Tesla will introduce some new colors for all their models. We've been stuck with the current limited color palette for quite a while now (and have even lost some colors -- the standard White and Titanium Metallic -- without replacing them) and it could provide a slight boost in S/X demand if some new colors were introduced this year.

Reactions: FlyNavy01
Are those "dimples" visible in any of the photos of the various Model 3s in other colors? Maybe it's just the way the silver paint job reflects the light? Maybe compare with the matte black photos since that color isn't as susceptible to a lot of weird light reflections.
looks like the horizontal crease at the top is causing a shadow in addition to the panel coming outwards near the wheel well

here's the matte black from the other angle. You can better see the crease and the outward bend toward the wheel well
Screen_Shot_2017-01-11_at_2.58.34_PM_grande.png

Note: it's the crease below the door handle, it kind of disappears as it goes back and then reappears under the charging port.

Hey guys check out the pic of the silver S and blue Model 3 together. Now look at the roof line of the blue model 3. Doesn't it seem like it's not a full glass roof. I'm seeing maybe a foot of seamless blue metal, after that I can't tell. We know the "metal roof" model 3's would only have the front part of the roof be metal. Is this possibly what we're seeing here? Or maybe the sunroof variant?

Last edited:
Hey guys check out the pic of the silver S and blue Model 3 together. Now look at the roof line of the blue model 3. Doesn't it seem like it's not a full glass roof. I'm seeing maybe a foot of seamless blue metal, after that I can't tell. We know the "metal roof" model 3's would only have the front part of the roof be metal. Is this possibly what we're seeing here? Or maybe the sunroof variant?
Looks like an all glass roof to me, I'm judging be the reflectivity of parts that are known glass vs the parts toward the front... appears identical

There is a metal cross-member there, so that may be what's showing through the glass when viewed from the outside:

model-3-cabin-original.jpg

model-3-2016-silver-overhead-motortrend.jpg

Reactions: anonim1979
I agree. It would make no sense for Tesla to, for example, use a slightly different silver to paint a Model 3 RC car when Tesla is currently using silver to paint S/X cars. It's the same paint.

That said, I think it is possible that when 3 production begins Tesla will introduce some new colors for all their models. We've been stuck with the current limited color palette for quite a while now (and have even lost some colors -- the standard White and Titanium Metallic -- without replacing them) and it could provide a slight boost in S/X demand if some new colors were introduced this year.
I thought Tesla shut down the Model S/X assembly line to incorporate the Model 3 "INTO" the already existing paint shop. I interpreted this to mean that the Model 3 will have the same color assembly line as the Model S/X.

Tesla confirms retooling of factory for Model 3 this month, will ‘pause’ Model S/X production for a week

There is a metal cross-member there, so that may be what's showing through the glass:

Yes, but the difference to me is that in the pictures of the Blue it looks like a body colored cross bar instead of the black cross bar we've seen before (also, no seam between the crossbar and the side). I'm not positive, though.

crossbar.jpg

Compare that to here, where the crossbar seems to sit underneath the glass:

silverm3-3-jpg.227077

Perhaps it's for the openable sunroof?

Last edited:
I thought that as soon as I saw it - hey that's a metal roof!
But then I followed the lines and decided that it is the glass roof - you can just see the divide in glass and the reflection from the sky is making it look blue.
As for the MX style windscreen - I don't believe it will be from this photo.

Are those "dimples" visible in any of the photos of the various Model 3s in other colors? Maybe it's just the way the silver paint job reflects the light? Maybe compare with the matte black photos since that color isn't as susceptible to a lot of weird light reflections.
I think what everyone is perceiving as "dimples" or any other shape difference between the Alpha silver and the release silver is due to the contrasting/highlighting effects of the Alpha's Hyper Silver finish (which without question is NOT the same as the plain silver on the release car seen here). It's a finish we commonly use in the wheel biz - essentially a very slightly translucent and highly reflective silver applied over a black base coat - that does an amazing job of brightening highlights and darkening recesses. As we see on the Alpha it really brings out the shape. The problem is it's notoriously difficult to keep consistent even in something as small as a wheel and I suspect would be nightmarish for a production car. I'd love to be wrong though and see it get produced, it's by far my fave. Works perfectly on the 3 and gives it a slight "just arrived from the future" look.

Status
Not open for further replies.