Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my M3 for about 18 months now. I still absolutely love driving it but I am becoming increasingly frustrated with multiple issues. I was not able to find similar threads so I have started a new one. I took it in to a service center once, which is 2 hours away from home, only to be told that there was nothing they could do about any of them at the time but that probably they would improve over time with over the air updates.

1. Phone Key - I had a 2016 Model S and never had any issues with it. My M3 constantly does not connect to my phone until I open the app. It would be easier to just carry the key card. I have had the same phone the whole time and this has started happening only this year.
2. Cruise Control random braking - From the beginning the TACC would jam on the brakes when facing an uphill road or when a vehicle would cross in front even though it would be well clear before TACC would jam on the brakes. I have learned to anticipate most of these events but it upsets my wife terribly, so much so that I use it much less that I used cruise control in ICE vehicles. It has improved somewhat after several over the air updates, but it remains an issue.
3. Homelink - The GPS based automatic activation is super convenient ... when it works. The point of activation moves around so much that I am constantly having to reset it and re-adjust how many feet ahead of time it activates. Also, the directionality of the signal is so narrow that it often requires one or more manual activations and/or moving the car closer. I have had many cars with built in Homelink and never had such a narrow or limited range of functionality.
4. Dashcam - It seems to only randomly record. Sentry Mode works fine and records every time we park the car. As I recall, Dashcam was working well when it was first activated. I have tried erasing the thumb drive but have seen no change.
5. Auto Wipers - This system is a joke. After all this time since the first camera equipped MS's, you would think Tesla would have perfected it. If it wasn't so tedious to adjust the wipers manually on the screen, I would leave it off. Sometimes I have used the voice activated system however it does not reliably interpret the commands so I cannot depend on it to work quickly.
6. Foglights - Activating these takes too many steps and jabs to the screen. On our rough roads every attempt is a crap shoot. Why can't we have an icon permanently on the home screen for one touch?
7. Glovebox - See above. Permanent icon please!
8. Supercharging pre-warming - This was a feature rolled out since I bought the car. It used to work and I could reliably expect 140 - 150KW initial charge rates. Now it almost never works even though I always program in the next Supercharger location. I typically get around 95KW charge rate, not slow but not nearly as fast as it used to be. Charging time has always been widely variable but now it is consistently long!
9. Noise - I knew the M3 would be somewhat noisier than the MS I was coming out of but I chose to ignore it at the time for all of the advantages of the newer car. I did install a set of extra weather strip seals around the doors and stuffed some sound foam in the large hole in the rear package shelf and these changes did make a noticeable improvement. Now the primary noise is tire drone. I have read on various forums that some people have installed sound dampening material on the rear fender wells, however the effort to do this and the inconsistent results reported have discouraged me from trying this. My Michelin tires are nearing the end of their life at 22,000 miles so I will try some Continental tires. But I do feel like these noise problems are exaggerated in an electric car because of the lack or engine noise, so the tolerance level for excess noise is much less. Surely some extra sound foam and/or resonance dampening would help. We should not have to experiment on home fixes.
10. Side Camera view on lane change - My daughter's 4 year old Honda shows her a side camera view when using the turn signal. Surely this is not a difficult software update. This is especially important since the view to the rear is poor due to a high trunk line.
11. Hold feature - Another feature rolled out with an OAU. It does work very well normally, however if you try feathering the throttle, especially on a hill it will often slam on the breaks with a notification the "brakes applied to prevent roll away" even though it wasn't rolling away! I have learned to "stab" at the throttle and be less smooth to avoid this. I know I can just turn it off, but really I just want it to work properly!
12. Supercharging target range - After all of these years, I am still having to calculate my own estimated miles range need to complete each leg of a trip. Why doesn't the system just look at the recent Wh/mi performance and use that for calculations? I have found that driving at 75 - 80 mph uses more energy than it normally accounts for so I cannot trust the estimated range required.

I still love driving this car for it's sportscar handling and muscle car acceleration. And I still love the looks of the exterior and interior. But I feel like I am driving one of those bad phone Apps that you downloaded without reading the reviews. I had hoped that original and new issues that cropped up would be fixed after 3 years of production. It's great that we get OAUs, new games to play (the fart control is a crowd favorite!) and new features. But how about fixing the stuff that doesn't work well as a priority?

If I have missed a "workaround" or if there is some fix out there, please let me know. And if anyone knows of a way to communicate directly to Tesla what improvements or fixes we would like to see, likewise let me know. With the service center 2 hours away, trying to work through customer service, waiting around all day and being told nothing is wrong is not encouraging.

I agree with some, but not all.

3. Homelink: I have it set up from day on (85D, Nov 2015), and I can't remember it failed once. Possibly your receiver in the garage door not receiving well/badly placed?
2. Random braking: existed almost since the beginning of AP (AP1), and never really got fixed. I have it more when I'm on the middle lane driving and overtaking a truck on the right lane.
5-7: Telsa engineers always mix a car's GUI with an XBox toy. Last year I failed technical control/inspection (or whatever you call it, the legal check you have to do of the technical fitness of your car, here after 4 years). Reason: I couldn't find how to set the lights manually (cruise, dimmed etc) in a reasonable time. Comment of the guy checking the car: "it's nice to have a driving iPad, bust you must be able to use it too." He was right, I got a red card, and had to return days later after some study...
Such things as wipers, lights, glovepox, should be real buttons. They are quick to use, and Tesla should understand they are much safer: you don't need to look at them while driving.
10. A side mirror would be more useful than the stupid warning you now get in AP reminding you to look. That too is a dangerous thing: precisely at the moment you want to look you are distracted with this useless message, drawing your attention back to the dashboard, exactly the opposite of what the message is aimed at. One of the reasons why I almost never use AP any more.
11. Hold feature: I don't have that problem. Maybe it's only an issue if the slow forward creep setting is on (more a US/automatic gear thing)?
12. My car was subjected to the shameless batterygate downgrade. Since then, these estimates are wildly off, useless in fact. Before that, they were perfect. I once drove 1300km strictly respecting the charging times, and arrived withing 15m at my destination.

So my car is rather getting worse with each update...

Now, after all, these cars are gadgets on wheels, and in that catergory I don't know many (gadgets of the zillions I have) that are reliable. But at least the car (mechanical, not gadget) works perfectly, even after 127K Km (about 80K mi).

Totally agree - some additional thoughts on your list

#1 - Yes, WTF? Now I can't remember if this is a new issue, ore if it was always an issue but I was too distracted by everything else to notice. Coming form an S, it is is extremely frustrating to walk up tot he car with my phone in my pocket and grab the handle expecting it to unlock and be open. Having to grab my phone, unlock it, open the app, and wait for it to connect can take 30 seconds and has caused me more than once to want to open the car by throwing the phone through the window. Yeah, yeah, I know, use the card - but that's just as frustrating as it is usually buried in my wallet - again, a two handed operation to open the car. Yes, I paid for the model 3 key-fob, but it's not he same smooth experience as the S where you just walk up and go.

#2 - TACC has gotten better and worse and better again. Just when I think it's safe it reverts so some previous behavior - it seems to REALLY hate overpasses.

# 3&4 I can't talk to as I rarely use those functions

#5 - There is a whole thread on this - and ye, is is udder crap. I did learn from that thread that pressing the spritz button on the stalk engages the wipers(as it should) and is usually keeps them on long enough for me to futz with the screen to get to the wiper settings without crashing.

#6 & 7 Not specific to Foglights, but you made me think - there are a lot of people who wish "if only there was a button for this or that on the main screen". Since we all have different requirements, why can't Tesla allocate a space for the driver to personalize their own button or two that is tied to their profile? Something like a "long-press" on the function while in park would ask the driver if that function should be added as a personal button on the main screen. Kind of like Android allows you to do a long-press and add an app to your home-screen. I think that would satisfy a LOT of people without too much effort.(I remember my Model S would allow me to customize what is on the IC screen with the right scroll wheel.)

#8 - Can't comment not really noticed

#9 - Yes, it is defiantly noise, and gets noisier as it gets older. Mine was built during "fluffergate" and lacks the "fluff" between the battery and the main cabin. Fortunately, like my 1976 Pinto, the 3 has an awesome sound system event if it doesn't go to "11"

#10 - never thought of that- but holy smoke it that a great idea. It would be better worked on Model S to display in the IC not on the main console, but yeah, excellent suggestion.

#11 is is "Granny mode" - which I wish I could override. It affects me mostly on my driveway, when I get in the car and put it in drive and start rolling down my long driveway before having my seat-belt clicked. It engages and lurches my head into the steering wheel (because my seat-belt is not fastened yet) and stops the car to prevent it from "rolling away". Why does it think it is rolling away? Doesn't the butt sensor tell the car I'm in the seat? That started happening after some software update and surprised the *sugar* out of me. In a similar vein, during "spirited driving" collision avoidance kicks in and alarm bells go off if I am pacing another car at a close distance. Yeah, I know, I should adjust my behaviors to suit the car.... Sigh....

"So my car is rather getting worse with each update..."

Yes, sadly, I probably have to agree - safer perhaps in the eyes of the software programmers who have never driven a car in their life, but I have to agree, worse with each update.

Reactions: SalisburySam
@Hank42, Your idea of user-defined physicall buttons, I'd say 2 or 3, linked to the user profile, is brilliant. That would do the trick, easily, for everyone. An if they can distinguish between short and long push, that would make 6.
Think about it, it could also be done via the scroll buttons in the steering wheel. Not as good as a real button, but given that Tesla refuses what's practical, maybe that would be a good in-between. If you can open the roof (I still have one) that way, why not switch the lights, or the wipers, ....

Reactions: EVNation
@Hank42, Your idea of user-defined physicall buttons, I'd say 2 or 3, linked to the user profile, is brilliant. That would do the trick, easily, for everyone. An if they can distinguish between short and long push, that would make 6.
Think about it, it could also be done via the scroll buttons in the steering wheel. Not as good as a real button, but given that Tesla refuses what's practical, maybe that would be a good in-between. If you can open the roof (I still have one) that way, why not switch the lights, or the wipers, ....

Thanks - but for Tesla's sake I was thinking a user defined Soft button on the main screen area - they could roll that feature out with a software update..
However, I like your idea of user defined physical buttons somewhere. That would be neat! Maybe selll it as an aftermarket feature and plug it into the USB port to access non-critical features(should be easy to program - after all, you can plug an XBOX controller into the USB to control the games, why not a buttonpad that clips onto the screen? Heck, you could even use OLED buttons smart buttons that change the icon to match the function defined by the user!
ISC15ANP4 NKK Switches | Switches | DigiKey

Reactions: EVNation
Thanks. See comments below:

I agree with some, but not all.

3. Homelink: I have it set up from day on (85D, Nov 2015), and I can't remember it failed once. Possibly your receiver in the garage door not receiving well/badly placed? RE: We have two different houses and a gate. Same issue for all three. It was never an issue with the Model S I had.
2. Random braking: existed almost since the beginning of AP (AP1), and never really got fixed. I have it more when I'm on the middle lane driving and overtaking a truck on the right lane.
5-7: Telsa engineers always mix a car's GUI with an XBox toy. Last year I failed technical control/inspection (or whatever you call it, the legal check you have to do of the technical fitness of your car, here after 4 years). Reason: I couldn't find how to set the lights manually (cruise, dimmed etc) in a reasonable time. Comment of the guy checking the car: "it's nice to have a driving iPad, bust you must be able to use it too." He was right, I got a red card, and had to return days later after some study...
Such things as wipers, lights, glovepox, should be real buttons. They are quick to use, and Tesla should understand they are much safer: you don't need to look at them while driving.
10. A side mirror would be more useful than the stupid warning you now get in AP reminding you to look. That too is a dangerous thing: precisely at the moment you want to look you are distracted with this useless message, drawing your attention back to the dashboard, exactly the opposite of what the message is aimed at. One of the reasons why I almost never use AP any more.
11. Hold feature: I don't have that problem. Maybe it's only an issue if the slow forward creep setting is on (more a US/automatic gear thing)? RE: Setting is on "Hold", not creep, so it comes to a complete stop and then sets the brake, except when it decides you are rolling away!
12. My car was subjected to the shameless batterygate downgrade. Since then, these estimates are wildly off, useless in fact. Before that, they were perfect. I once drove 1300km strictly respecting the charging times, and arrived withing 15m at my destination.

So my car is rather getting worse with each update...

Now, after all, these cars are gadgets on wheels, and in that catergory I don't know many (gadgets of the zillions I have) that are reliable. But at least the car (mechanical, not gadget) works perfectly, even after 127K Km (about 80K mi).

Thanks - but for Tesla's sake I was thinking a user defined Soft button on the main screen area - they could roll that feature out with a software update.. RE: Love it!
However, I like your idea of user defined physical buttons somewhere. That would be neat! Maybe selll it as an aftermarket feature and plug it into the USB port to access non-critical features(should be easy to program - after all, you can plug an XBOX controller into the USB to control the games, why not a buttonpad that clips onto the screen? Heck, you could even use OLED buttons smart buttons that change the icon to match the function defined by the user!
ISC15ANP4 NKK Switches | Switches | DigiKey

You wrote a lot my friend. Some of your complaints is to do with the Tesla UI which only the engineer can improve. Not really "issues".

The phone key issue is one of 2 things.
Phone keys work by Bluetooth.
A) some times the phone is in deep sleep. Or the Tesla app. I notice that more on my Samsung phone now that if I wake the screen, unlock works right away once my screen wakes.

B) car may be in deep sleep but generally it still functions.

Half your complaints are on the OS and UI experience. Which hopefully with continuous OTA, it'll improve. Imagine driving a Porsche and all the UI issue will never be fixed, yes they have a hundred dedicated buttons but tesla is going for the minimalistic approach. Design differences.

Road noise - tires. Get some Quieter tires. Unless your cabin is completely insulated, roof, door panels, dash and rear, wheel well, expect some noise. The Model S is a much more expensive car and I expect it another level above a 3. My old Lexus had a great quiet cabin. They wrapped everything with sound deadening material.

The hold thing. Are you trying to rock your car with throttle on a hill or something? Reminds me of driving SF streets in a manual. I'd get to a hold, car goes into hold, I'd step on the brake go engage the stop more.

Your complaint on range is the same in any car. And seems like you have a great self estimation of your driving habits. I mean I guess one day, Tesla can take into account wind, humidity, rain into the nav estimation as well right? (Oh gawd I hope this is true soon)

I have had my M3 for about 18 months now. I still absolutely love driving it but I am becoming increasingly frustrated with multiple issues. I was not able to find similar threads so I have started a new one. I took it in to a service center once, which is 2 hours away from home, only to be told that there was nothing they could do about any of them at the time but that probably they would improve over time with over the air updates.

1. Phone Key - I had a 2016 Model S and never had any issues with it. My M3 constantly does not connect to my phone until I open the app. It would be easier to just carry the key card. I have had the same phone the whole time and this has started happening only this year.
2. Cruise Control random braking - From the beginning the TACC would jam on the brakes when facing an uphill road or when a vehicle would cross in front even though it would be well clear before TACC would jam on the brakes. I have learned to anticipate most of these events but it upsets my wife terribly, so much so that I use it much less that I used cruise control in ICE vehicles. It has improved somewhat after several over the air updates, but it remains an issue.
3. Homelink - The GPS based automatic activation is super convenient ... when it works. The point of activation moves around so much that I am constantly having to reset it and re-adjust how many feet ahead of time it activates. Also, the directionality of the signal is so narrow that it often requires one or more manual activations and/or moving the car closer. I have had many cars with built in Homelink and never had such a narrow or limited range of functionality.
4. Dashcam - It seems to only randomly record. Sentry Mode works fine and records every time we park the car. As I recall, Dashcam was working well when it was first activated. I have tried erasing the thumb drive but have seen no change.
5. Auto Wipers - This system is a joke. After all this time since the first camera equipped MS's, you would think Tesla would have perfected it. If it wasn't so tedious to adjust the wipers manually on the screen, I would leave it off. Sometimes I have used the voice activated system however it does not reliably interpret the commands so I cannot depend on it to work quickly.
6. Foglights - Activating these takes too many steps and jabs to the screen. On our rough roads every attempt is a crap shoot. Why can't we have an icon permanently on the home screen for one touch?
7. Glovebox - See above. Permanent icon please!
8. Supercharging pre-warming - This was a feature rolled out since I bought the car. It used to work and I could reliably expect 140 - 150KW initial charge rates. Now it almost never works even though I always program in the next Supercharger location. I typically get around 95KW charge rate, not slow but not nearly as fast as it used to be. Charging time has always been widely variable but now it is consistently long!
9. Noise - I knew the M3 would be somewhat noisier than the MS I was coming out of but I chose to ignore it at the time for all of the advantages of the newer car. I did install a set of extra weather strip seals around the doors and stuffed some sound foam in the large hole in the rear package shelf and these changes did make a noticeable improvement. Now the primary noise is tire drone. I have read on various forums that some people have installed sound dampening material on the rear fender wells, however the effort to do this and the inconsistent results reported have discouraged me from trying this. My Michelin tires are nearing the end of their life at 22,000 miles so I will try some Continental tires. But I do feel like these noise problems are exaggerated in an electric car because of the lack or engine noise, so the tolerance level for excess noise is much less. Surely some extra sound foam and/or resonance dampening would help. We should not have to experiment on home fixes.
10. Side Camera view on lane change - My daughter's 4 year old Honda shows her a side camera view when using the turn signal. Surely this is not a difficult software update. This is especially important since the view to the rear is poor due to a high trunk line.
11. Hold feature - Another feature rolled out with an OAU. It does work very well normally, however if you try feathering the throttle, especially on a hill it will often slam on the breaks with a notification the "brakes applied to prevent roll away" even though it wasn't rolling away! I have learned to "stab" at the throttle and be less smooth to avoid this. I know I can just turn it off, but really I just want it to work properly!
12. Supercharging target range - After all of these years, I am still having to calculate my own estimated miles range need to complete each leg of a trip. Why doesn't the system just look at the recent Wh/mi performance and use that for calculations? I have found that driving at 75 - 80 mph uses more energy than it normally accounts for so I cannot trust the estimated range required.

I still love driving this car for it's sportscar handling and muscle car acceleration. And I still love the looks of the exterior and interior. But I feel like I am driving one of those bad phone Apps that you downloaded without reading the reviews. I had hoped that original and new issues that cropped up would be fixed after 3 years of production. It's great that we get OAUs, new games to play (the fart control is a crowd favorite!) and new features. But how about fixing the stuff that doesn't work well as a priority?

If I have missed a "workaround" or if there is some fix out there, please let me know. And if anyone knows of a way to communicate directly to Tesla what improvements or fixes we would like to see, likewise let me know. With the service center 2 hours away, trying to work through customer service, waiting around all day and being told nothing is wrong is not encouraging.

Postscript: Adding one more that I forgot about but annoys the heck out of me:

13. When activating TACC, it seems to start with the current speed limit or some other random number instead of working like every other Cruise Control in the world by assuming that the speed you are currently at is the speed you want to cruise at! We have a section of highway near us where they have long term construction going on and the posted speed limit is now 35 mph, not the 55 mph of the rest of the road. Every single time I try to set TACC in this section it starts at 60?!? and accelerates rapidly while I am toggling down to 35. Likewise I am often trying to set it around 10 mph over the limit, but it always starts at the limit, so I am slowing down while I toggle back up. Dirty looks from the people behind me! Also, another TACC quirk is when following a slower car and then moving to an empty left lane to pass, it takes several seconds for it to recognize that there is no car in front before it accelerates to the set speed. In the mean time cars behind you who are also trying to pass are wondering why you switched lanes without speeding up? More dirty looks. I usually give a manual jab of the throttle to speed up until TACC takes over. Why do I have to do that? Honestly, I would prefer to have the option of a "dumb" cruise control setting so there are no surprises.

13. When activating TACC, it seems to start with the current speed limit or some other random number instead of working like every other Cruise Control in the world by assuming that the speed you are currently at is the speed you want to cruise at! We have a section of highway near us where they have long term construction going on and the posted speed limit is now 35 mph, not the 55 mph of the rest of the road. Every single time I try to set TACC in this section it starts at 60?!? and accelerates rapidly while I am toggling down to 35. Likewise I am often trying to set it around 10 mph over the limit, but it always starts at the limit, so I am slowing down while I toggle back up. Dirty looks from the people behind me! Also, another TACC quirk is when following a slower car and then moving to an empty left lane to pass, it takes several seconds for it to recognize that there is no car in front before it accelerates to the set speed. In the mean time cars behind you who are also trying to pass are wondering why you switched lanes without speeding up? More dirty looks. I usually give a manual jab of the throttle to speed up until TACC takes over. Why do I have to do that? Honestly, I would prefer to have the option of a "dumb" cruise control setting so there are no surprises.

You spooked me with this one. I drove 270 highway and secondary road miles yesterday, speed limits from 45-70 mph, and driving speeds from 0-15 mph over the limit. There were several conduction zones and I probably activated the cruise control 40 times. Every time it set to exactly the speed I was driving.

I am thinking there are some settings which may cause the effect you describe, ones related to the autopilot feature but I don't have time to research right now.

Thanks for the suggestions. See my comments below:

You wrote a lot my friend. Some of your complaints is to do with the Tesla UI which only the engineer can improve. Not really "issues".

The phone key issue is one of 2 things.
Phone keys work by Bluetooth.
A) some times the phone is in deep sleep. Or the Tesla app. I notice that more on my Samsung phone now that if I wake the screen, unlock works right away once my screen wakes. If there is functionality that the Tesla App needs to keep working it should default to keep the phone from sleeping, bluetooth on, etc. To be fare, I will test your approach the next several times I drive the car and unlock the phone but not open the App and see if it works. But if I have to always unlock my phone, it take two hands which is not easy when carrying several bags of groceries! I would switch to the card exclusively but you have to hold it up to the "B" pillar AND the center console, super annoying. I would rather have a dedicated but credit card flat "Key" that the car could sense from a distance and unlock, just like my Model S did with the Fob.

B) car may be in deep sleep but generally it still functions.

Half your complaints are on the OS and UI experience. Which hopefully with continuous OTA, it'll improve. Imagine driving a Porsche and all the UI issue will never be fixed, yes they have a hundred dedicated buttons but tesla is going for the minimalistic approach. Design differences. Agree totally! But I get annoyed each time there is an OAU that gives me a new game or adds Polish language but all the same OS/UI *sugar* doesn't change! I love Elon/Tesla's sense of humor but priorities people!

Road noise - tires. Get some Quieter tires. Unless your cabin is completely insulated, roof, door panels, dash and rear, wheel well, expect some noise. The Model S is a much more expensive car and I expect it another level above a 3. My old Lexus had a great quiet cabin. They wrapped everything with sound deadening material. Agree that we shouldn't expect the M3 to be as quite as the MS and I don't. But the fixes that I made would be pennies to add to the overall cost in production. I have to believe that a little sound foam, tested for best location, would also be low cost and easy to add. The tire drone is just especially irritating. The Michelins have the foam inside but clearly it is just a gimmick.

The hold thing. Are you trying to rock your car with throttle on a hill or something? Reminds me of driving SF streets in a manual. I'd get to a hold, car goes into hold, I'd step on the brake go engage the stop more. The hold feature was rolled out as an OAU and is used in place of Creep. It brings the car to a complete stop with regen braking (something Teslas never did before) and then once stopped sets the brake with the word "Hold" displayed on the screen. No foot on the brake required and just step on the throttle to go. It's a brilliant improvement but along with it came this "brake applied to prevent rollaway" emergency application that seems to happen whenever I am trying to ease into a parking space and am applying the throttle lightly, on and off. Clearly a software error that needs to be corrected.

Your complaint on range is the same in any car. And seems like you have a great self estimation of your driving habits. I mean I guess one day, Tesla can take into account wind, humidity, rain into the nav estimation as well right? (Oh gawd I hope this is true soon) Agreed that no car can anticipate future driving variables. If I suddenly decided to drive much faster, or a storm moves in with 30 mph headwinds, I would not expect the system to account for it. But I think a totally reasonable expectation would be to look at the last leg of the trip, see how much power was used/mile and estimate based on that. They have the information in the system, it just requires software to use it. In fact from what I have read, other EVs do exactly this.

But if I have to always unlock my phone, it take two hands which is not easy when carrying several bags of groceries! I would switch to the card exclusively but you have to hold it up to the "B" pillar AND the center console, super annoying. I would rather have a dedicated but credit card flat "Key" that the car could sense from a distance and unlock, just like my Model S did with the Fob.:

EXACTLY!!! Could not have said it any better (And I tried! )

I had this problem when my wife first got her model 3, and for me it turned out to be "phone in pocket". like, the denim and some volume of human flesh is too much for the car to detect the phone.

I started just having my phone out of my pocket somehow, even just loosely held with something else I was carrying, and I haven't had an issue since. I keep my phone in my back pocket so alternately I will just point my butt at the door before grabbing the handle.

• Funny
Reactions: CaryRx and Hank42
Phone Key - I had a 2016 Model S and never had any issues with it. My M3 constantly does not connect to my phone until I open the app. It would be easier to just carry the key card. I have had the same phone the whole time and this has started happening only this year.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but get a FOB instead?

It just ‘works’, no need to remove it from your pocket either.

I agree. It'd be nice to have a TACC on/off toggle maybe near where the speed limit is normally on the screen, so you could go to dumb cruise when you want. That should also get rid of the phantom braking which I also agree is annoying. Just last week I had the car almost give me whiplash - worst phantom brake in 10k miles - for no reason at all.

With our other cars that have "dumb" cruise, I can just "resume" to my previous speed which is almost always 60mph for my commute. but tesla's minimalist design doesn't allow for a physical resume button for cruise. With TACC "off" maybe flipping the stalk up could be a resume instead of simply cruise activating..

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I had this problem when my wife first got her model 3, and for me it turned out to be "phone in pocket". like, the denim and some volume of human flesh is too much for the car to detect the phone.

I started just having my phone out of my pocket somehow, even just loosely held with something else I was carrying, and I haven't had an issue since. I keep my phone in my back pocket so alternately I will just point my butt at the door before grabbing the handle.

Thanks, I will definitely give this a try!

I agree. It'd be nice to have a TACC on/off toggle maybe near where the speed limit is normally on the screen, so you could go to dumb cruise when you want. That should also get rid of the phantom braking which I also agree is annoying. Just last week I had the car almost give me whiplash - worst phantom brake in 10k miles - for no reason at all.

With our other cars that have "dumb" cruise, I can just "resume" to my previous speed which is almost always 60mph for my commute. but tesla's minimalist design doesn't allow for a physical resume button for cruise. With TACC "off" maybe flipping the stalk up could be a resume instead of simply cruise activating..

Absolutely there should be a simple "Resume" function, also like every other CC ever made!

1. Phone Key - Works great for me, except on the rear passenger side door.
2. Cruise Control random braking - Has never happened to me, but I very rarely CC
3. Homelink - 100% flawless for me. I love it except that i had to have it installed after purchase.
4. Dashcam - I use this all the time and it always works
5. Auto Wipers - I was expecting this to fail but honestly the only issue is I mostly have to hit the stalk button once to get it started, but after that it works really well. I use auto 100% of the time. I think they are like 5% off from what I would set it to if I were manually changing settings.
6. Foglights - I've never used them. I should probably figure out how...
7. Glovebox - I'm good with 2 touches to open it.
8. Supercharging pre-warming - I've only supercharged twice.
9. Noise - The noise isn't any different than my subaru (minus the engine of course).
10. Side Camera view on lane change - With the cybertruck not having mirrors I expect this will be coming. I'm a big fan of mirrors though. There is always lag between a camera and a monitor, the question is only how much.
11. Hold feature - Hold has worked 100% flawlessly for me
12. Supercharging target range - No one knows what car will be in front of you or not in the future. It is a guess and maybe when you supercharge (long distance driving) your driving habits are different than your day to day driving? My habits are definitely different.

I agree with all this. I’m looking forward to the day Tesla isn’t needing to cost-cut. It’s a $25k car with a great (and expensive) drivetrain and energy source, made by a company that doesn’t prioritize quality or customer service.

My "$25k" car can compete with a lambo off the line, while I have two carseats in the back seat, and then I can double tap to have it drive itself. That's hardly a a $25k value even if that is the cost of hardware. The 3 is a great value even with the mistakes considered!

Last edited:
Reactions: AZAV8R