Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry you are having problems, my thoughts on some as below, others i have left out as i dont use or have.

1. Phone Key - I had a 2016 Model S and never had any issues with it. My M3 constantly does not connect to my phone until I open the app. It would be easier to just carry the key card. I have had the same phone the whole time and this has started happening only this year.
Mine has never skipped a beat, may depend on phone, i have an iphone 11 and its as i said never not worked.
(i keep the card anyway as a back up!)
As somebody pointed out on this thread, you can set the Tesla App to "not go to sleep". Not easy to find on my Galaxy S9 but since I made that change, this problem seems to have gone away.

2. Cruise Control random braking - From the beginning the TACC would jam on the brakes when facing an uphill road or when a vehicle would cross in front even though it would be well clear before TACC would jam on the brakes. I have learned to anticipate most of these events but it upsets my wife terribly, so much so that I use it much less that I used cruise control in ICE vehicles. It has improved somewhat after several over the air updates, but it remains an issue.
Mine has done this when going under certain bridges, its scary and hopefully they system will learn or get by this.

4. Dashcam - It seems to only randomly record. Sentry Mode works fine and records every time we park the car. As I recall, Dashcam was working well when it was first activated. I have tried erasing the thumb drive but have seen no change.
I had a few issues with USB, since updating to a SSD Extreme unit its been fine.
Another answered question it turns out that Tesla changed it so that it only records the last 10 min. when you touch the Dashcam icon or honk. Presumably this was done to keep from filling up the drive. I tried this it and it does work, so this one is solved!

5. Auto Wipers - This system is a joke. After all this time since the first camera equipped MS's, you would think Tesla would have perfected it. If it wasn't so tedious to adjust the wipers manually on the screen, I would leave it off. Sometimes I have used the voice activated system however it does not reliably interpret the commands so I cannot depend on it to work quickly.
it can be hit and miss but generally works as well as other auto wiper systems i have add, that being said the good thing is that issues on these cars can be fixed, with others cars...tough thats the way it will always be
Yes, in fact all of my previous cars that had this feature were just as bad. I am hoping for a marked improvement someday and you are absolutely correct that at least we can hope for a fix to be rolled out!

6. Foglights - Activating these takes too many steps and jabs to the screen. On our rough roads every attempt is a crap shoot. Why can't we have an icon permanently on the home screen for one touch?
awkward but not too bad, maybe in the future an customisable fixed button system along the bottom will give us more choices!!, we can only hope!!

7. Glovebox - See above. Permanent icon please!
as above on future custom screen, but lets face it we don't open them glove box that often, plus voice command always works for me with that

9. Noise - I knew the M3 would be somewhat noisier than the MS I was coming out of but I chose to ignore it at the time for all of the advantages of the newer car. I did install a set of extra weather strip seals around the doors and stuffed some sound foam in the large hole in the rear package shelf and these changes did make a noticeable improvement. Now the primary noise is tire drone. I have read on various forums that some people have installed sound dampening material on the rear fender wells, however the effort to do this and the inconsistent results reported have discouraged me from trying this. My Michelin tires are nearing the end of their life at 22,000 miles so I will try some Continental tires. But I do feel like these noise problems are exaggerated in an electric car because of the lack or engine noise, so the tolerance level for excess noise is much less. Surely some extra sound foam and/or resonance dampening would help. We should not have to experiment on home fixes.
Doesn't help but this is getting better on newer cars, like all things early adopters often get shafted, i turn up the stereo a little louder , plus like the windows open so its less of an issue for me

I am going to replace the Michelin MXM4s with Continental PureContact LS tires that are rated somewhat better for noise by tirerack. That are also rated better for wear. I will report on how they sound once I make the change.

10. Side Camera view on lane change - My daughter's 4 year old Honda shows her a side camera view when using the turn signal. Surely this is not a difficult software update. This is especially important since the view to the rear is poor due to a high trunk line.
This will come, lots are asking for it, but the issue could be we look at the screen rather than a glance , which is safer..tough question
My feeling is that the view from the side cameras are unobstructed by the B and C pillars or the high trunk. Now that we have the side view option to use with the rear camera view button, looking at it the blind spot is eliminated. So I think that is an improvement.

11. Hold feature - Another feature rolled out with an OAU. It does work very well normally, however if you try feathering the throttle, especially on a hill it will often slam on the breaks with a notification the "brakes applied to prevent roll away" even though it wasn't rolling away! I have learned to "stab" at the throttle and be less smooth to avoid this. I know I can just turn it off, but really I just want it to work properly!
Haven't experienced this as yet, hopefully it wont be an issue for me but im sure its annoying
Yes, another thing that upsets my wife!

The great thing about these cars as i know you must be aware is that issues such as these can be fixed over time, granted not as quickly as you may want but none the less they do often get addressed, i dont know any other car companies that add free features on their car after you leave the showroom, so not all bad...plus you can smoke most cars on the road...gotta count for something !!
Agreed especially about the hope that some or all of these things will be fixed with an OAU someday. And, yes, to this day I look for excuses to drive anywhere! Love blowing away Chargers and Porsches! Now that the phone key and dashcam issues seem to be fixed I am feeling a little less frustrated. But the TACC issues (random braking and speed settings) are a major irritant for me. Because I am in the habit of using cruise control all the time, I experience it constantly. We are in the market for a new car for my wife this year, but Tesla is off the list until at least this one issue is corrected.

Then the passenger should hit the button while you keep driving.

Wrong; you assume the passenger knows where the screen button is. It is safer to push the right wheel button and say, "Open glovebox," no taking eyes off the road, than to show the passenger where the screen button is which requires a glance , not mention getting to the Quick Controls screen in the first place in order to have the glovebox button, requiring another - or at least a longer - glance.

Reactions: AZAV8R
Wrong; you assume the passenger knows where the screen button is. It is safer to push the right wheel button and say, "Open glovebox," no taking eyes off the road, than to show the passenger where the screen button is which requires a glance , not mention getting to the Quick Controls screen in the first place in order to have the glovebox button, requiring another - or at least a longer - glance.

Yes, I do! If the passenger wants something from the glovebox they must have seen the contents before. Which is when, I assume, they learned about the button.

What do you all keep in your glovebox? I don't keep anything a passenger would ever need.

Yes, I do! If the passenger wants something from the glovebox they must have seen the contents before. Which is when, I assume, they learned about the button.

What do you all keep in your glovebox? I don't keep anything a passenger would ever need.

You assume too much. One scenario, a common one: You want the passenger to look something up on a map you keep in the glovebox. Or you decide you want to put on your driving gloves which are kept - Imagine that! - in the glovebox.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: LionXng and duanra
A paper map? Driving gloves? We live in different worlds buddy.

I think your world is smaller than mine. Recently, I was navigating to a B&B out in the boonies of Scotland. The owner had told me quite sternly, "Do not use googlemaps or any other gps system...you will get lost. "Use this map," which I printed out. What would you do? If you haven't tried driving gloves, don't knock them...just the thing for long drives, and nothing looks cooler, old country cool.

• Funny
Reactions: AZAV8R and LionXng
I finally pulled the trigger and installed the Continental Pure Contact LS tires. According to the Sound Meter phone app I installed I measured about 2.5 dbA lower noise with the Continentals at 60 mph on the same stretch of road. And my perception is that they are indeed quieter with less obnoxious drone than the Michelins. They also have a tire wear rating of 700 AA vs 500 AA for the Michelins, so they should last longer. I found out buried in the tire specs that the Michelins have a new tread depth of 8/32 vs 10/32 for the Continentals.

Between the weather striping I installed on the doors, the sound foam and now the tires I can say that I am now quite happy with the sound level in the car, so another issue that at least for me has been solved!

Reactions: BlindPass
You don't need wiper buttons when you can use voice command to control wipers. Same with glovebox, mirrors, HVAC, lights, fog lamps, heated seats, etc. I've seen lists of voice commands somewhere, maybe in the owners manual and I was surprised at how much can be done. The one voice command I wish I had is "Set Accleration to Standard" and "Set acceleration to Chill". I only use Standard when I want to pass someone and get around them quickly.

re: phone key

it works pretty well for me, perhaps 99.5% of the time. The most annoying times that it hasnt worked (perhaps 3-4 times ever), for some reason the Tesla app wants me to re-enter my password (ugh), but very rare.

However I've seen an analogous issue, which basically amounts to the app not staying active in memory. I believe it is worse with older phones, perhaps slower CPUs and less RAM so the app becomes non-resident. It got worse when i updated my phone to a new IOS. Much improved when I got a new phone which has more RAM. So perhaps you are using an older phone? or have a situation in which the Tesla app becomes non-resident? Hopefully you have allowed the app to access BT and GPS even when in background....

You don't need wiper buttons when you can use voice command to control wipers. Same with glovebox, mirrors, HVAC, lights, fog lamps, heated seats, etc. I've seen lists of voice commands somewhere, maybe in the owners manual and I was surprised at how much can be done. The one voice command I wish I had is "Set Accleration to Standard" and "Set acceleration to Chill". I only use Standard when I want to pass someone and get around them quickly.
I would be happy to be able to tap the "Chill" word on the screen to flip to "Standard" mode.

I have noticed my iPhone7 not unlocking when I am by the drivers side. Seemed to have started 3 months or so ago. For sure worse than in the first 5 months. Tesla app is always “open”, location always, Bluetooth on, bg app refresh on, cellular on.

75% of the time now I have to remove my phone, wake it up, and bring up the Tesla app. I suppose it could be iOS changes? But seems like MS owners have no issues.

How about the trunk? I am sure it used to unlock when I was at the trunk and trying to open it. Now many times I have to get the car unlocked at the drivers door.

On my 2022 Model Y TACC works this way: when activated, is sets the MAX speed at either the current speed or the speed limit + the adjustable delta, whichever is the fastest. If you manually adjust the MAX speed TACC will stay at that speed even when the speed limit changes. IF TACC sets the MAX speed at the speed limit + delta and it is not manually adjusted then the MAX speed will change when the speed limit changes. You can reset TACC to automatically adjust the MAX speed by disengaging and reengage while under the speed limit + delta or by simply taping the speed limit icon.

My problem with TACC is that it sets the wiper controls to AUTO and they cannot be changed while in TACC or FSD. My AUTO wipers often run when there is no rain, especially at night and cleaning the windshield doesn't fix it. I therefore have to drive manually most of the time at night.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki