Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: My car is in the shop on day 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to see what I can do here. I've never had a worst experience picking up a new car.

Day 1: Sat, 4/21, we picked up the car at Fremont

On our drive home, the car said that there was an issue with regenerative braking. When we got home, we plugged in the car, we had an error message saying that there was an error. We could hear something engage and disengage, but it never could start charging. We also got an error message that the firmware needed to be updated, so we set that up.
Shouldn't that have been done, before we picked up the car?

We decided we would try charging at a supercharger first thing on Sunday. Guess what?

Day 2: We started the car, and the charge had halved overnight. The charge had dropped from 180 miles to 98 overnight? What happened? So, now we have a car that doesn't charge. The firmware is not updated. It's pretty much bricked.
So, we decided to take the car directly to a service center so as not to risk having to tow the car on Monday. We dropped off the car, hoping to try the charger at the service center, but all the ports were used. (probably for the loaner vehicles)

Day 3: I ubered to the service center, and now the car sits waiting for a technician to take a look at this.
Hopefully, my experience is just completely different from everyone's? This has been really bad. The car only has 79 miles on it, and it's sitting at the service center. Now, granted I've been given an S as a loaner, but I would much rather be home with my car working.

Any suggestions on how to get this escalated?

Thanks,

A disappointed Tesla driver

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to see what I can do here. I've never had a worst experience picking up a new car.

On our drive home, the car said that there was an issue with regenerative braking. When we got home, we plugged in the car, we had an error message saying that there was an error. We could hear something engage and disengage, but it never could start charging. We also got an error message that the firmware needed to be updated, so we set that up.

We decided we would try charging at a supercharger first thing on Sunday. Guess what?

Day 2: We started the car, and the charge had halved overnight. The charge had dropped from 180 miles to 98 overnight? What happened? So, now we have a car that doesn't charge. The firmware is not updated. It's pretty much bricked.
So, we decided to take the car directly to a service center so as not to risk having to tow the car on Monday. We dropped off the car, hoping to try the charger at the service center, but all the ports were used. (probably for the loaner vehicles)

Day 3: I ubered to the service center, and now the car sits waiting for a technician to take a look at this.
Hopefully, my experience is just completely different from everyone's? This has been really bad. The car only has 79 miles on it, and it's sitting at the service center. Now, granted I've been given an S as a loaner, but I would much rather be home with my car working.

Thanks,

It takes time for them to give your car the best fixes. I would say they will charge your car as soon as it needs some juice.

My experience: if you try to push them to fix your car ASAP. Your car will back to you the next day. Then it will be ended up with more issues (scratches, trim/panel pop out, missing screws.)

I remembered when I got my very first production FIAT 500 in 2011. My car sat in dealerships 4 or 5 times in the first year for different things.

Really hope Tesla is not like a FIAT but more like a Toyota. Have owned Toyotas since 1990 and it never went to the dealer except for fluid changes, tires, and clutches. My Celica GT-S had 410,000 miles and still ran strong. Sold it back to the dealership to display in their showrooms.

At least you got a Tesla loaner, I'm a Chrysler 300. My car is in the SC for an airbag sensor issue for since Wednesday and I don't think they've even looked at the car yet.

I don't understand the point of booking an appointment if they aren't even going to start within a day or two. Just spread out the appointments more, kind of ridiculous. The San Diego SC needs to get their act together.

Getting a new (remanufactured) transmission for my wife’s 2011 Subaru Impreza tomorrow. This will be the third one. Bought the car brand new. Definitely frustrating, however I think I’d be more frustrated if I was having issues with a new vehicle that’s about 3 times the cost of the Impreza. I understand that anything mechanical is subject to break down; however one would expect/hope everything on the vehicle was properly QC’d prior to release for sale.

At least you got a Tesla loaner, I'm a Chrysler 300. My car is in the SC for an airbag sensor issue for since Wednesday and I don't think they've even looked at the car yet.

I don't understand the point of booking an appointment if they aren't even going to start within a day or two. Just spread out the appointments more, kind of ridiculous. The San Diego SC needs to get their act together.

LOL. My SC they take appointments just for scheduling their Tesla loaners. If you don't, 99% you will get an ICE loaner.

What is it you want to escalate? Today is Monday, the first work day after you dropped off the car. Did you really expect the problem to be diagnosed and fixed already? You have a loaner Model S to drive for as long as it takes. Chill out. There’s a bad component or connection somewhere, it will be found and fixed, and your car will be fine.

By the way, a message that a firmware update is available is not an error message. It’s a message that there is a firmware update available.

Really hope Tesla is not like a FIAT but more like a Toyota. Have owned Toyotas since 1990 and it never went to the dealer except for fluid changes, tires, and clutches. My Celica GT-S had 410,000 miles and still ran strong. Sold it back to the dealership to display in their showrooms.
As much as we would probably all hope Tesla to be like Toyota, it’s probably not going to happen. I’m hoping they can get to a similar state as BMW. High quality with mediocre reliability.
I think anyone purchasing one of these early cars needs to be prepared for the possibility that there will be problems.

Well, it sounds like you're unhappy, but I think it's mostly confusion on your part.

Actually, you didn't comment at all on picking up the car. I'll assume you went to the Fremont delivery center. Everything probably went fine or you would have mentioned a problem. Me, I had one of their Ludicrous Latte drinks, so I had such a buzz on I wouldn't have noticed any problems. :)

On our drive home, the car said that there was an issue with regenerative braking.
So was there any issue? Sounds like there wasn't. Usually the only message you see is that it's limited for one reason or another. Is that the message you saw? It's not an "issue", it's merely informative. In any case, the message went away, right?

When we got home, we plugged in the car, we had an error message saying that there was an error. We could hear something engage and disengage, but it never could start charging.
Plugged it into what? There could be a problem with the charging source, the cable, or the car? Any idea which? Had you ever used this charger before?

We also got an error message that the firmware needed to be updated, so we set that up.
I think you're probably confused again. Sounds like you got a message that a firmware update was available. There's no error. You don't have to update if you don't want to. There is no problem. No, there's no reason that the update should have been done before. Did you tell it to update? Did it not work (as you say later the firmware isn't updated)? What's your firmware version now?

We started the car, and the charge had halved overnight. The charge had dropped from 180 miles to 98 overnight? What happened?
Don't know. Sounds concerning. My Model 3 has sometimes had excessive vampire drain, but not that bad. The more usual thing is that it runs my phone charge down overnight. I'm guessing there's excessive communication going on. The software's still pretty rough, so I've been assuming this problem will get better soon. What firmware version are you on? You should be able to see the version at the bottom of the screen for the car on the phone app.

So, now we have a car that doesn't charge. The firmware is not updated. It's pretty much bricked.
Sounds to me like the car is driving fine. There is no reason to care whether the firmware is updated. You haven't even tried to charge it from a known good charger (or supercharger). So you have no idea whether the car is the problem or not. It's not "bricked" in any way.

Okay. So the one obvious thing to try, charging from a known good charger, you didn't try. I think you should have asked them to try that immediately. I'm sure they would have freed up a charger for a test. This means you still have no idea whether there's anything wrong with the car. The only actual problem you've seen is excessive vampire drain overnight.

And it sounds like they took your car in for service and gave you a Model S as a loaner. Good deal!

I ubered to the service center, and now the car sits waiting for a technician to take a look at this.
Okay, seems odd to pay Uber to take you to the service center without calling to find out what's happening with your car. And what happened to the Model S they gave you?

Escalate what? Take a look at your phone app to see if the battery has drained excessively further. Call up the service center and ask them if your car can charge using their charger. Ask them if they know if there has been further excessive vampire drain while it's been there. Ask them to please make sure the latest firmware is installed.

Right now I can't see any evidence that there's anything wrong with your car. There might be, but probably not. What's wrong is that they didn't educate you about ownership. That part clearly needs work.

People being critical on the OP need to stop. They have been waiting for this car for two years, and its pretty clear from the description that the car came home with some issues (monster vampire drain at minimum). Sounds like they got it towed to the SC after hours and weren't able to get a loaner until the next day. They're understandably disappointed. OP came here for support from fellow Tesla owners, and that's all we should be giving.

OP - welcome to the forum. Totally sympathize with you. I have a delivery scheduled for next week and am hoping mine goes smoother. Stories like yours aren't common, but happen more than they should. As others have noted, it may be a bit too soon to escalate, but give them a chance. Having been on these boards a while, I'll tell you that 99 times out of 100 Tesla will make you whole and you're going to love your car. And at least you're driving a complimentary Model S loaner in the meantime!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Aaahhhh!!!! Bricked! There's that word again! :eek:

Seriously, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. As others have mentioned, it sounds like they have taken care of you (Model S loaner) and will look at the car soon.

Well, it sounds like you're unhappy, but I think it's mostly confusion on your part.

Actually, you didn't comment at all on picking up the car. I'll assume you went to the Fremont delivery center. Everything probably went fine or you would have mentioned a problem. Me, I had one of their Ludicrous Latte drinks, so I had such a buzz on I wouldn't have noticed any problems. :)

So was there any issue? Sounds like there wasn't. Usually the only message you see is that it's limited for one reason or another. Is that the message you saw? It's not an "issue", it's merely informative. In any case, the message went away, right?

Plugged it into what? There could be a problem with the charging source, the cable, or the car? Any idea which? Had you ever used this charger before?

I think you're probably confused again. Sounds like you got a message that a firmware update was available. There's no error. You don't have to update if you don't want to. There is no problem. No, there's no reason that the update should have been done before. Did you tell it to update? Did it not work (as you say later the firmware isn't updated)? What's your firmware version now?

Don't know. Sounds concerning. My Model 3 has sometimes had excessive vampire drain, but not that bad. The more usual thing is that it runs my phone charge down overnight. I'm guessing there's excessive communication going on. The software's still pretty rough, so I've been assuming this problem will get better soon. What firmware version are you on? You should be able to see the version at the bottom of the screen for the car on the phone app.

Sounds to me like the car is driving fine. There is no reason to care whether the firmware is updated. You haven't even tried to charge it from a known good charger (or supercharger). So you have no idea whether the car is the problem or not. It's not "bricked" in any way.

Okay. So the one obvious thing to try, charging from a known good charger, you didn't try. I think you should have asked them to try that immediately. I'm sure they would have freed up a charger for a test. This means you still have no idea whether there's anything wrong with the car. The only actual problem you've seen is excessive vampire drain overnight.

And it sounds like they took your car in for service and gave you a Model S as a loaner. Good deal!

Okay, seems odd to pay Uber to take you to the service center without calling to find out what's happening with your car. And what happened to the Model S they gave you?

Escalate what? Take a look at your phone app to see if the battery has drained excessively further. Call up the service center and ask them if your car can charge using their charger. Ask them if they know if there has been further excessive vampire drain while it's been there. Ask them to please make sure the latest firmware is installed.

Right now I can't see any evidence that there's anything wrong with your car. There might be, but probably not. What's wrong is that they didn't educate you about ownership. That part clearly needs work.

Really.....The poor guy/girl picks up his/her car and has problems right from the start and you do this to their post. Tesla needs to do better if it wants to be part of the mass market. Having an experience like a FIAT is not good. I really hope everything gets fixed for him/her and the rest of his/her Tesla experience is much better.

I doubt you have a Toyota experience but hopefully it is not like a FIAT.

On our drive home, the car said that there was an issue with regenerative braking.
To succinctly answer this question... a warning message will pop up if the battery pack is too cold to accept charging via the regenerative braking system. I encountered that message when I rented a 3 a couple of months ago and initially panic set in. it should have gone away after driving for some minutes.

As far as your other issues go, I'm sorry to hear about them. Hang in there. It should get better.

This is pure lunacy