Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 needs to be highly customizable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might be willing to cut themselves to near zero margin on the early base cars in expectation of making it up in options and high end cars

I think this is very likely so that they can stick to their $35,000 price that they have been saying for years. With that being said, it will probably be purposely de-optioned to the point where they don't sell very many.

To be a solid 'mass market' vehicle, I'm thinking the Model 3 needs to be highly customizable.

I'm not sure which features are legally mandated, but I believe Tesla could allow some cost-saving options to help the Model 3 appeal to more buyers.

For example, I'd order a Model 3 with cloth seats (my experience with leather seats has been all bad, especially because of where I live - in the sunny, hot valleys of California), little cruise control options or none(if possible), all wheel drive, 4 doors, and mostly basic other features.

Thoughts? Any features y'all could live without? Would this help Tesla appeal to the 'mass market'? Or would the differences in manufacturing cause too much hassle to justify allowing customization?

- - - Updated - - -

Sidenote: a Model 3 p85d would be rad! :)

If Tesla is truly aiming for the BMw 3 series then yes, they will have to offer lots of options. However in usual Tesla style I think at least initially the options will be limited in order to ramp up production quickly. Once they have a handle on production and more time to flesh out the options we'll probable see variations. Always keep in mind: Tesla is still a startup with very limited resources. Don't expect much at first. It's taken BMW several decades to get where they are and they have lots of resources to throw at stuff. Just look at how many cars and variants they have introduced over the last 15 years. It's mind boggling.