TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Nema 14/50?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SabrToothSqrl, Apr 11, 2016.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Has anyone 100% confirmed that it will use this plug?

My wife's asked me to wire one up near mine for my S... Yea, she's excited... I want to wait until she actually brings it home, as she can use mine or I have a 14/50 in our shop too... but ya know.. lol

So, can we confirm this? Thanks.

2. James Anders

James Anders Member

Charging will be the same as MS and MX.

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Shweet :) thanks. Now to find room in the breaker... Good thing they switched from an electric stove to propane... but left "STOVE" and the 240 breaker in there... (it's a 30 amp I think, I'll pop it out for a 50, and tape off the wiring)... and run 6 gauge the 10 feet to her outlet...

4. Lex

Lex Member

Folks everywhere are installing NEMA 14-50 (oven) plugs in their garages even if they don't immediately plan to get an EV.

5. bmenius

bmenius Member

I opted to have one run when we had all the walls open for new electrical. I told myself I may want a boss air compressor one day. Electrician looked at me like I'd lost my mind, but I look like the smart one now... :cool:

• Like x 1
  6. Craig9080

Craig9080 Member

Am I the only one who just wants to have a sexy a$$ Tesla charger in my garage regardless of the $750 cost?

• Like x 2
  7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Nope!

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Source?

• Dislike x 1
  9. nd4spd569

nd4spd569 Member

I was wondering that myself. But if I was a betting man I would bet it would be the same. Being able to use the same UMC and allowing people to use the already installed outlet if they currently own a Tesla reduces costs for both sides.

10. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Don't those wall chargers go up to 80amps if you have the proper wire feeding them?

Edit: assuming you have an onboard powerful enough to take it.

11. Bokonon

Bokonon Title-customizing Member

Given how far away we are from production, I am generally skeptical of any unsourced claim or "confirmation" about the Model 3 that carries the implication of 100% certainty.

That disclaimer aside, it does seem much, much more likely than not that the Model 3 will come with a UMC that is very similar (if not identical) to the one that ships with the S/X. Heck, I'm already wondering if I should install a NEMA 14-50 a couple of years early to help charge my current EV faster.

12. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm not sure I'm going to be in the same home by the time I take delivery. If I am, I'm going to get a 14-50 plug installed in my garage, and just use the UMC, or maybe just get two (one for the road, one for home), and take it with me when I move, and just market the home as "EV-Ready."

• Like x 1
  13. engle

engle Member

Yes, I have a 100 amp dedicated circuit from my main panel feeding the $750 Tesla HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) at 80 amps. My X uses 72 amps of that because it has a High Amperage Charger Upgrade ($1,000). It comes standard with 48 amps. Hopefully there will be a less expensive option - since volumes will be much higher - for the Model ≡ to increase amperage for faster charging. I'm getting about 43 miles of range added per hour of charging. Even if you go with a 14-50 plug at home, the upgrade gives you faster destination charging on their HPWC's.

• Like x 1
  14. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

Why wouldTesla will self impose a converter cost so that folks can use a SC (car end is the same as UMC)?

If I were a betting man I would bet that the 3 has the same base charger (single 48A) as the X and that for simplicity they will stick with the current UMC.

Are you guys thinking they won't include a EVSE? Or that it will be a 110/120V unit?

15. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

I agree... but the question asked if it was 100% confirmed.

The answer is no.

16. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

I guess, seems odd to ask if they are gonna support 14-50. I mean the only other plug they include with the EVSE is the 5-15, and we all know that is too slow to charge the 3 overnight.

Unless the OP is asking if they are gonna support the (current) UMC at all. Which is a decent question in and of itself. Seems wasteful for Telsa to come up with another plug, but then again folks with the X and the UMC now are leaving 8A on the table during charging.

17. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I think those expecting to get a HPWC specifically for the Model 3 and at a more inexpensive price point will be a bit disappointed.

At $750 the Tesla HPWC is the most inexpensive of the 80 amp EVSEs available today and has been so for a long, long time. You can get something for $350 or $450 sure.. but you won't be charging at anything near 40 amps continuous... let alone 80 amps...

I know the Model 3 is supposed to be the more affordable, everyman car. But expecting every option and every accessory to scale accordingly on price is silly.

They already have a UMC and an HPWC available. We know the Model 3 will be able to interface with SuperChargers so we know what the car side input for the charger matches the Model S and the Model X.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

• Like x 1
  18. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

And now the Model S matches the X with the single 48A charger with the 72A charger being an option that has to be done at order time. So it is likely that we will see a UMC that supports 48A charging with an optional NEMA 14-60 adapter. I suspect the UMC will include the 14-50 as that is more prevalent. Of course that is moot if the UMC is limited to 40A due to portability. In which case it is probably in everyones best interest to get the HPWC to get that last 8A of charge speed.

I suspect that I am gonna opt for the High charge option (if available) so my destination charges at places that offer HPWC are faster.

19. nd4spd569

nd4spd569 Member

Hmmm was thinking about installing a 14-50 now before the "rush" during deliveries. But your 14-60 point is making me rethink that. Granted 40 amp charging is enough for my commute.

20. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

Something isn't right, the miles of range per hour of charge chart that Tesla provides seems to indicate that the 48A single unit isn't as good as the 40A single unit the S used to come with.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/charging_wall_connector.pdf