Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Nema 14/50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course that is moot if the UMC is limited to 40A due to portability. In which case it is probably in everyone's best interest to get the HPWC to get that last 8A of charge speed.

I honestly don't think we will see a 48 amp UMC any time soon. even tho the NEMA spec goes up to 14-60 so it is technically feasible to have something that pulls 48 amps continuous, it has been stated many times on this forum that Tesla is really "pushing it" when they pump 40 amps through a portable EVSE like the UMC. at this amperage it is better to have something hardwired. I'm also not sure the extra 8 amps make such a world of difference.

then again, Telsa long ago discontinued things like the the NEMA 6-50 prong for the UMC (to my great personal chagrin..) leading some on this forum to speculate that a UMC refresh is in the pipeline....

Hmmm was thinking about installing a 14-50 now before the "rush" during deliveries. But your 14-60 point is making me rethink that. Granted 40 amp charging is enough for my commute.

I had reached out to my local "Tesla recommended" electrician on this last week. He said there was a meeting Tesla had with them earlier last week stating they weren't allowed to quote or recommend any power requirements for the 3. Personally, my guess is more along the "undecided" type of thing more than something known to change, and I'm pretty sure they'll support the 14-50. All that said, it's a hike from my current main panel to the garage, so I'm going to go with just a subpanel in there (only reason I'm looking into it this year is my guess that the tax credit for a home charger that ends this December won't be extended again) as opposed to just an outlet - so that will make life a bit easier for whatever the final decision is.

I also am eager to install a 14-50 in my garage for my upcoming model 3 but I'm holding off for now as well (may move, 3 might have better options). However, for those of you getting an install you might as well get 1 plug per car installed in your garage. Even if your second car isn't electric today it might very well be eventually and the nominal up charge for 2 or 3 plugs in one visit is probably less than 2 or 3 visits of 1 plug each.

Something isn't right, the miles of range per hour of charge chart that Tesla provides seems to indicate that the 48A single unit isn't as good as the 40A single unit the S used to come with.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/charging_wall_connector.pdf

The S has more range than the X on the same amount of charge, so the "MPH" feeding into the battery are going to be lower on the X with the same amount of input current. If you put a 48A charger in the S, you would see the increase that you expect.

Reactions: diamond.g
I had reached out to my local "Tesla recommended" electrician on this last week. He said there was a meeting Tesla had with them earlier last week stating they weren't allowed to quote or recommend any power requirements for the 3. Personally, my guess is more along the "undecided" type of thing more than something known to change, and I'm pretty sure they'll support the 14-50. All that said, it's a hike from my current main panel to the garage, so I'm going to go with just a subpanel in there (only reason I'm looking into it this year is my guess that the tax credit for a home charger that ends this December won't be extended again) as opposed to just an outlet - so that will make life a bit easier for whatever the final decision is.
Yeah, considering it's 18 months or so I think we're jumping the gun a bit.

Folks everywhere are installing NEMA 14-50 (oven) plugs in their garages even if they don't immediately plan to get an EV.

This is probably regional, but aren't new electric clothes dryers also running the 14-50 plugs by default? So, a 14-50 plug in the garage has more use than just for charging a car (or running an air compressor). I know it's not the current fashion, but our laundry is there, and very thankful for that when the washer sprung a leak. And it keeps the noise and lint out of the house.

The dryer plug is a 10-30 (it's an older house), so wired an extension 10-30 to plug the UMC into. Charges my Roadster at 24A, which is fine since I have all night. Adding something bigger would probably be very expensive, since the main panel is only 125A, and it's full.

Something isn't right, the miles of range per hour of charge chart that Tesla provides seems to indicate that the 48A single unit isn't as good as the 40A single unit the S used to come with.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/charging_wall_connector.pdf
That is because the X miles per charge is lower than the S miles per charge, i.e., an X90 has less range than an S90. A 40 amp charging an S is not comparable to a 40 amp charging an X. The site will eventually be upgraded hopefully to reflect the S going from 40 to 48 amps.

Am I the only one who just wants to have a sexy a$$ Tesla charger in my garage regardless of the $750 cost?
2016-03-26 12.11.22.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-04-10 07.42.14.jpg
    2016-04-10 07.42.14.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Reactions: Craig9080
It appears the cost was just reduced to $500 yesterday.
Wow, cheaper than a second $650 UMC bundle. HPWC is now $500 for a short 8.5 ft cable, or $550 for the 24 foot cable. I wonder how many of the short cable ones they'll sell. At $50, seems like a no-brainer to get the flexibility of the longer cable.

The installation manual is here: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

Some new features of the new version:
  • More breaker settings, allowing the HPWC to be used on 15/20/25/30/35/40/45/50/60/70/80/90/100 amp breakers. Charging current is 80% of the breaker setting
  • 277V line-to-neutral connections (found in commercial 277/480V 3-phase systems) are supported, allowinf more installation flexibility while increasing charge speed 15% over 240V, 33% over 208V.
  • This one looks easier to install; more cable entry options and relocated terminal blocks mean reduced need for sharp bends in stiff conductors.
  • Cool built in cable hanger.
Main discussion - New Wall Connector :)

Forgive my electrical (un-knowledge) - but does the car battery pack act like a powerwall and feed power BACK to the household circuit?
No, one way only (wall->car)

Is there some diode in the wall connector (or 14-50 socket) that keeps current from flowing in reverse ?
The connections are EVSE->car socket->internal charger->battery. The charger (internal to the car) can only convert AC to DC. There is no inverter function in the car that can create AC and backfeed to the grid.

Another way to think about it - this is no different than using a 12V charger to charge the battery in an ICE from wall power. That 12V battery can't backfeed the house through your 12V charger, either.

Wow, cheaper than a second $650 UMC bundle. HPWC is now $500 for a short 8.5 ft cable, or $550 for the 24 foot cable. I wonder how many of the short cable ones they'll sell. At $50, seems like a no-brainer to get the flexibility of the longer cable.

The installation manual is here: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

Some new features of the new version:
  • More breaker settings, allowing the HPWC to be used on 15/20/25/30/35/40/45/50/60/70/80/90/100 amp breakers. Charging current is 80% of the breaker setting
  • 277V line-to-neutral connections (found in commercial 277/480V 3-phase systems) are supported, allowinf more installation flexibility while increasing charge speed 15% over 240V, 33% over 208V.
  • This one looks easier to install; more cable entry options and relocated terminal blocks mean reduced need for sharp bends in stiff conductors.
  • Cool built in cable hanger.
Main discussion - New Wall Connector :)
Yeah, this has torpedoed my 14-50 plan. I was gonna end up getting an additional UMC to leave outside at home, but this is a cheaper plan. When we move we could just have the electrician pop in a 50A breaker and install a 14-50 plug and take the WC with us.

No, one way only (wall->car)

The connections are EVSE->car socket->internal charger->battery. The charger (internal to the car) can only convert AC to DC. There is no inverter function in the car that can create AC and backfeed to the grid.

Another way to think about it - this is no different than using a 12V charger to charge the battery in an ICE from wall power. That 12V battery can't backfeed the house through your 12V charger, either.

OK - I get the 12vDC => 120v ac analogy. BUT...is it logical that one could make a car battery pack act as a power wall? What is the difference in the systems --too great to overcome?

OK - I get the 12vDC => 120v ac analogy. BUT...is it logical that one could make a car battery pack act as a power wall? What is the difference in the systems --too great to overcome?

Yes, and I believe the leaf offers this option - Tesla does not. We presume because you can't charge the leaf free. Although it would be quite the hassle to stop at a SuCh and then power your house all night... I certainly wouldn't do it, to save $50/month.

And, in reference to the Charge MPH - that's based on wH/Mile, not the range of the vehicle. You had the result right, but not the cause.

I'm going to tweet Tesla and ask this - I don't want to install the wrong outlet, and even though I have dual chargers I've never needed to charge at 80 at home. Although $500 makes a compelling argument... when I get my X, or newer S at 40 vs 48 amps... I'm not sure I care...

I guess, seems odd to ask if they are gonna support 14-50. I mean the only other plug they include with the EVSE is the 5-15, and we all know that is too slow to charge the 3 overnight.

Unless the OP is asking if they are gonna support the (current) UMC at all. Which is a decent question in and of itself. Seems wasteful for Telsa to come up with another plug, but then again folks with the X and the UMC now are leaving 8A on the table during charging.
And leaving 8A on the table during 80A-capable HPWC charging as well. Both ends of the X AC charging story don't make sense to me.