Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Nema 14/50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah. I see it in the description now. That's a pretty good deal. I just like the portability of the UMC, though. Is it worth another $200? Not sure.
Yeah that is my issue. My UMC would sit outside since I have no garage, and thus I'd probably want a second unit. For the price I am probably better off just getting the WC and be happy that I can utilize the extra 8A of charging.

So I don't know much about the hpwc. If you install 100 amp breaker you can charge at 80 amp. But say on a normal daily commute basis you want to just charge at 40 (heard lower amp charging is better for battery) are you able to do that? Easy to change the amperage?

So I don't know much about the hpwc. If you install 100 amp breaker you can charge at 80 amp. But say on a normal daily commute basis you want to just charge at 40 (heard lower amp charging is better for battery) are you able to do that? Easy to change the amperage?
There's nothing wrong with charging at 80 amps. You don't need to worry about abusing your battery until you're talking about supercharging every day, and even that's debatable.

In absolute terms, 80A @ 240V is a lot of power - almost 20kW - half the electrical capacity in most modern homes.

In relative terms, it's nothing. On an 85kWh battery, it's less than 0.25C (0.33C on a 60 kWh). That's nothing. Li-Ion can safely be charged at 1C.

There's nothing wrong with charging at 80 amps. You don't need to worry about abusing your battery until you're talking about supercharging every day, and even that's debatable.

In absolute terms, 80A @ 240V is a lot of power - almost 20kW - half the electrical capacity in most modern homes.

In relative terms, it's nothing. On an 85kWh battery, it's less than 0.25C (0.33C on a 60 kWh). That's nothing. Li-Ion can safely be charged at 1C.

what does "C" mean in this context? thanks

Continuous Current.

Which can be used to express rate of charge or discharge.
Actually, "capacity" - Charles-Augustin de Coulomb's C-Rate for Batteries

It's used to measure relative rate of charge/discharge compared to the battery's overall capacity, either in amp-hours or watt-hours. A Tesla with a 90 kWh battery has a C of 90kW - so charging at 1C would be 90kW for 1hr, 2C = 180kW for 30 min, 0.5C = 45kW for 2 hours, etc. (ignoring charging losses and Peukert's Law)