Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gang, first post so this might get removed.

I was browsing the model Y parts cataloge and came upon the USB C center console hub that looks like it will fit the model 3? I imagine that's how the current model 3 June production vehicles have the USB c set up.

Part #:
MY USB HUB FRONT
1522264-00-B

The model 3 parts catalog still showing the old USB A part. I found many results on eBay.

I'm wondering if we can simply just buy this part and install it ourselves? I noted from previous years down pics that this hub has a power and a data connector. So it ought to be plug and play? I'm just brain storming here. I hate the onboard USB A so much that I only use a 12v in the center and dangle a USB C cord out.

The wireless pad is
M3 MY, CONSOLE INDUCTIVE PHONE CHARGER
1541234-00-B

I’m pretty sure it’s the same console used on the Y and the recently built 3 vehicles. But it seems silly to swap the entire center console just to switch from USB-A to USB-C.
27 watts is better than 10 watts. Get a usb-c to lightning cable and charge any modern iPhone at 18 watts.
Charging my 12.9" iPad Pro at 27 watts vs 10 is a lot better as well.

Model Y Rear USB C Charge Rates : teslamotors

Last edited:
taking out the console and swapping out the hub should be trivial if the connectors are the same. pulling the console is literally 4 bolts, 2 screws, and two electronic connectors, and the whole thing slides right out...easy as pie. but what about the fact that the cutouts in the console aren't going to match? that would annoy the hell out of me...

you're better off just drilling a hole (or two) and adding a new 12v outlet (or two) up front than doing this, IMO. a little more work, but at least that would be guaranteed to work.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same console used on the Y and the recently built 3 vehicles. But it seems silly to swap the entire center console just to switch from USB-A to USB-C.

i don't think he's asking if you can swap the entire console...he's asking if you can pull the console and swap the hub that is screwed into the plastic up front.

Presumably this hub gets 12v power, with the restriction in amps/voltage being down to the USB-A spec rather than anything extra in the loom or elsewhere. I would be surprised if the car's software knows anything about it beyond the data aspect of it.

It would be an interesting challenge for someone to fit it and see what the difference is in amps & volts. I'm quietly hoping it's possible to retrofit this and the rear ports.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
If you guys look at the Tesla parts catalog for model 3, it lists both the old type A one and the new one from model Y.

Screenshot_20200624-161215_Chrome.jpg

If you guys look at the Tesla parts catalog for model 3, it lists both the old type A one and the new one from model Y.

View attachment 555930
Yup, that’s because newer Model 3s come with this part, the same one as in the Model Y. What we don’t know though is whether there is any other hardware elsewhere needed to make it work, or even if the loom and connectors are the same.

Reactions: house9
center console model 3.png

I apologize for that large screen shot i uploaded. It's taking up a lot of screen space and I can't delete it.
Anyways, I went into the parts catalog again and copied out some info for all of us to learn from.

Model 3 parts catalog for the USB C data hub + wireless pad + the wireless dock lip

The parts seem to be interchangeable! Hear me out:
s-l1600 (12).jpg
The wiring harness looks like exact same as the wires/plug we've had all along. Model Y and Model 3 part for this both are unchanged in the parts catalog with only one option.
ASY,CABLE,USB,1R HUB TO IP,M3
1100827-00-C (11) (It has a data plug which from the old one looks like a USB MINI-A port) (there's a separate 4pin 12v plug for power (i imagine for the USB C))

daerik model Y center lift tray.png

M3, CONSOLE PHONE DOCK PREMIUM ASY (5)
1112412-00-C (old - might still work without buying the new part)
1112412-00-E (new. From Daerik's video it seems like same as model 3 (maybe they finally updated to a single slot like he said in the video)

daerik model Y wireless charging pad.png

M3, CONSOLE PHONE DOCK PREMIUM MAT (16)
1112415-00-C (plain mat)
M3 MY, CONSOLE INDUCTIVE PHONE CHARGER (16)
1541234-00-B (wireless charger)

(Did not include a picture)
M3, CONSOLE PHONE DOCK BAR, ASY (15)
1138038-00-A (default non-wireless lip)
M3 MY, CONSOLE WIRELESS PHONE DOCK BAR (15)
1547380-00-A (wireless lip - thicker/wider)

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

Console.jpg
USB,HUB,CHARGER.WITH.DATA,FRONT (28)
1093295-00-A (old usb A version)
MY USB HUB FRONT (28)
1522264-00-B (New hub? USB C + A like new model 3/Y?)

Rear Vent part.jpg

rear vent instructions.png

Also since people asked, here's the USB C rear vent part #. It's updated on the 3's parts catalog as well so we have hope... and it looks like just a bolt in swap.
Rear Vent Assembly:
M3, CONSOLE, REAR AIR VENT PAN ASY, PREM (9)
1111072-00-C
M3, CONSOLE, REAR AIR VENT PAN ASY, PREM (9)
1111072-00-E

(all pics real life pics were scraped from ebay/tesla online forums for reference. these parts all came from model 3 old USB A)

How to access this area is from this tutorial:
12v Socket in Front bin - Tesla Owners Online

I believe the parts we need are:
For just front USB C + A: 1522264-00-B
For front USB C + wireless charging: 1547380-00-A, 1541234-00-B, + above ( i skipped (5) from the diagram)
For Rear USB C: 1111072-00-E (C was the old one, E is the updated one)

Too bad my service center doesn't answer their calls, I was trying to find out the cost of these specific parts. If the total cost is less than $300, i'm willing to do it!

Last edited:
Yup, that’s because newer Model 3s come with this part, the same one as in the Model Y. What we don’t know though is whether there is any other hardware elsewhere needed to make it work, or even if the loom and connectors are the same.
At least the harness that connects to this USB data hub uses the same exact part as the original model 3 one. I have hope. I posted a much more detailed breakdown of my thinking one post above yours just now. I wish I can get access to a model Y's center console. I would never do it without owner's permission (as in I won't turo a Y and break it apart... that's being a d i n(c) k

Reactions: Durzel and lUtriaNt
Status
Not open for further replies.