Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did they tell you it would take?
That's the problem -- they wouldn't tell me timeframes. I was told twice to just wait for email updates on the parts. To their credit I did get a set of emails for one of the parts, including an email saying that it had arrived at the SC, but radio silence on the other part. I called into the SC and managed to talk to someone who checked for me but he said they were still waiting for the second part to arrive and reiterated that they didn't have an estimate and to keep an eye out on my email. So.....I guess I'll call back in two more weeks?

Exciting that the adapters are ready though, smatthew! I have PM'ed you.
Thank you again!

That's the problem -- they wouldn't tell me timeframes. I was told twice to just wait for email updates on the parts. To their credit I did get a set of emails for one of the parts, including an email saying that it had arrived at the SC, but radio silence on the other part. I called into the SC and managed to talk to someone who checked for me but he said they were still waiting for the second part to arrive and reiterated that they didn't have an estimate and to keep an eye out on my email. So.....I guess I'll call back in two more weeks?

Exciting that the adapters are ready though, smatthew! I have PM'ed you.
Thank you again!
Took mine almost a month - Don't sweat it. just let it come. But I returned it on the spot as I discovered the lack of compatibility.... now I gotta go back and order it again at some point.

• Helpful
Reactions: Manksgloob
That’s nice ;). I ordered parts for my second batch (also 25 adapters), too. I'll put the adapters online on eBay next week because I'm not home at the moment.
Also my hub for the front arrived yesterday :)

I'm really interested in doing the front too. Can you share the part number for the Tesla part# on that? And is it the same adaptor as for the rear I bought from you? Maybe I missed it earlier in this thread and need to go back and read.

Reactions: PhilippDen
I'm really interested in doing the front too. Can you share the part number for the Tesla part# on that? And is it the same adaptor as for the rear I bought from you? Maybe I missed it earlier in this thread and need to go back and read.

That’s the partnumber:
MY USB HUB FRONT, 1522264-00-B

And yes it should be the same adapter. The same adapter should work with the front and the rear harness. I didn’t test it personally yet, but smatthew did it :)

Reactions: smatthew and webbah
BTW, You posted about already paying $29.50 for parts to make 2 adapters, but I'll ship two adapters for less than that amount..... It's too late for you to do anything different, but I feel like that might be a cautionary tale to others.

Yea, it probably will end up being a bit more expensive than getting pre-made from you. But I'm the type that likes to tinker and learn the skills so then other projects on the car will be easier to do myself. Not really concerned about the price.

I do think it's great you're offering them though, cause some people might not have the skills/time/money and just want a ready solution. Thanks for the crimper link.

I'm one of those that will install the smatthew adapter in the back, but decided to run a USB-C cable with an adapter from the 12v under the center console to the front. I did that yesterday in about 10 minutes.

The one mistake I made was to order a right-angled USB-C cable with too fat an end to seat nicely in the front tray. I'll track down the dimensions that work well later.

After installation I grabbed my wife's Pixel 4a to check charging rate, and was disappointed to only get 12 watts (4v/3A) at 20% SoC. After some sleep it dawned on me that the phone is a ~ 4v device. The Choetech 12v adapter I bought shows specs of 5v/2.4A and 9v/2A so I'm actually surprised that I'm pulling more than 10 watts.

The 18 watt pull will have to wait for when I charge my notebook from the front, or 27 watts from the back after the upgrade :)

I'll track down the dimensions that work well later.
Here are the dimensions of the OEM cable terminal from Tesla

6 mm before the right angle
11 mm plug width

IMG_20200918_095255.jpg IMG_20200918_095212.jpg

what about the rear module? is an adapter needed for that? i forgot.

thanks for the update will order.
Both modules need the adapter.

Connected to a wired that's good for 15 amps, Tesla went from a pin good for 4-6 amps, to a blade good for 30 amps. The previous connector was the weakest link in the power delivery.
I bet some engineering review decided that all connectors should be rated for more than the wires they connect to. Which isn't a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.